Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Am I doing this right? LR import to DVD-R ?

I lost an SD -card and freaked out. Found it!!! Lots of answered prayers here as the fateful card fell into the hands of my two year old.
Anyway, I am attempting to make a copy to a DVD-R. I chose import and it says "importing" so far it has been 10 minutes...am I doing this right?

06-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure you can do it that way...
You can import the files and then export to DVD, that works for sure
06-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at the status bar on top left. What does it say? Importing? Rendering?

And I agree with Anvh, I don't think you can import to a DVD. During import from a card you should be copying the images to the directory on your hard drive that you store them in and creating the catalog entries. You can also make a backup to an external drive at the same time if you check that box. If you want a backup then you would select the files in LR and select export to DVD.
06-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Why not simply burn them directly to the DVD using the native disc authoring software built into WinBlows? When you insert the memory card into the reader on your laptop or PC WinBlows treats it like a drive (i.e. a hard disc), and you can then copy the contents directly to the DVD.

Or save the image files to you hard disc or an external drive, and when you have enough to fill the DVD, then burn the disc.

06-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have never heard of Winblows- I will definitely google it, as that is exactly what I want to do. Just to get these off this SD card and safe I did burn the files to the disc and now will have to upload them to the hard drive to work with them. I really don't know how else to do it.
The main thing I want is to not store these photos on my hard drive due to space.
I can buy an external drive but I have to find a way to not have them all on my hard drive. It is a small computer, more like a net book.
Open and hoping for advice on this.
06-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by haycyn Quote
I have never heard of Winblows-

It's a perjorative nickname for Windows, which Racer X is not a fan of.
06-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never heard of Winblows- I will definitely google it, as that is exactly what I want to do.
WinBlows. The operating system that dominates the PC and laptop world, and due to the efforts of MicroSh** may just become the dominant operating system on Smrat Phons and tablets.

Please forgive my sarcasm, I didn't intend to confuse you.

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote

It's a perjorative nickname for Windows, which Racer X is not a fan of.
Well of course!

Bill stole DOS from some guy a long time ago, then developed WinBlows 1.1, and the rest is history. And he has become the richest man on the planet in the process.

He has been so successful he was even able to fend off the Feds in the anti-trust lawsuits.

Just to get these off this SD card and safe I did burn the files to the disc and now will have to upload them to the hard drive to work with them. I really don't know how else to do it.
It is really quite simple. A Google search for "how to burn a dvd on windows 7 from an sd memory card" returns "About 25,200,000 results (0.63 seconds)"

See the results here: https://www.google.com/search?num=30&site=&source=hp&q=how+to+burn+a+dvd+on+...hp.9ZLPMD4WKA4

The main thing I want is to not store these photos on my hard drive due to space.
I can buy an external drive but I have to find a way to not have them all on my hard drive. It is a small computer, more like a net book.
Open and hoping for advice on this.
I know how you feel. I shoot exclusively in RAW, and storage fills up quick. But a 1TB external hard disc can be had for about $100, and will hold a lot of image files. That is what I use, and I even use it to store the work I do on the pictures I decide to keep and share. And when I get enough image files to fill a dual layer DVD (just under 8gb), I burn a copy for archival purposes.

If a person really wants to be sure they don't lose their precious pictures, they might have two or three external drives, and copy everything across them, and then burn 3 copies on the DVD each time, and then store everything in separate places, to prevent the possibility of data loss in a fire, flood, etc.

06-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But a 1TB external hard disc can be had for about $100
Ain't progress grand? You can actually get 3TB for that price now! Thanks, Mr. Moore!

Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STBV3000100: Computers & Accessories
06-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Ain't progress grand? You can actually get 3TB for that price now! Thanks, Mr. Moore!

Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STBV3000100: Computers & Accessories
Dayum! It has been less than a year since I bought the 1TB drive.
06-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok I get it, funny.
I thought I could go to DVD straight from SD in LR and work from the disc, and I may be able to somehow but it was not working quickly enough so I skipped out on it and went on with life.
Buying that 3 TB, now!
06-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I thought I could go to DVD straight from SD in LR and work from the disc, and I may be able to somehow but it was not working quickly enough so I skipped out on it and went on with life.
Yes, reading from optical disks is extremely slow compared to even a conventional hard drive. You'll notice that fewer and fewer computers are coming with optical drives these days. They're rapidly going the way of the floppy disk. They're fine for long-term backup archives, where you just copy them and hopefully never have to read them again. Anything else gets painful, as you saw for yourself.

That hard drive should give you enough storage for a long time to come. If you value your pictures, though, don't use it as your only storage space. Use the DVDs as a secondary backup just in case. You may even want a tertiary, off-site backup!
06-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They're fine for long-term backup archives, where you just copy them and hopefully never have to read them again.
And unless you are using high quality archival DVD's I would not trust them as a backup either. Life span on cheaper media is 3 - 5 years. Even archival is not all that long. The only optical disk I've seen with decent archival claims is the M-Disc which claims 100 years.

A better backup system is rotating external drives with a minimum of 2 copies at all times.

For Lightroom, set up your import preset template to copy the files to a particular folder on the external drive. It is best to always put them under the same main folder. I use a main 'pictures' folder, then a folder for each year and then a folder for each day. Lightroom does this automatically, creating the folders as needed. Doing it this way allows you to copy the entire file structure to another drive very easily and then reconnect the pictures to LR in seconds. You may not need that amount of detail for your volume but setting up an organized system is very important. And much easier to do early on before you have thousands of images scattered all over.
06-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, reading from optical disks is extremely slow compared to even a conventional hard drive. You'll notice that fewer and fewer computers are coming with optical drives these days.
Blu-Ray actually comes very close to the speed of an hard drive.

Now if we look into the future then there is holo discs, they are being made to support 8k video and that standard needs 144 Gbit/s that is 18 GB/s

So yeah "all" optical disks are slow
06-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And unless you are using high quality archival DVD's I would not trust them as a backup either. Life span on cheaper media is 3 - 5 years. Even archival is not all that long. The only optical disk I've seen with decent archival claims is the M-Disc which claims 100 years.
I had a very good site about that, will try too look it up.

From what i remember are + dvd better for archive then -
Most indeed only last about max 7 years when stored correctly.
UV light is a cd/dvd killer you need to store them cool, dry and out of the sunlight.

There where 2 brands that did well in the test, that was varbatimn and no idea about the other name.
Out of test they should get for certain 50 year and with propper care that can be extended to about 70 year.
These DVD where rated for 100 year.
06-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And much easier to do early on before you have thousands of images scattered all over.
And that would be like a bunch of shoeboxes full of negatives, slides and prints, all tossed in loosely!