Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom DNG and XMP...confused.....

Hi guys,

I shot in DNG and imported the photos into lightroom 4...and I have enabled the "Automatically write changes into XMP" in Catalog settings.

My understanding is that the developed settings will be stored in XMP sidecar files? But I can't find the XMP files anywhere on my system. Where are they stored?

Many thanks

06-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry guys. Just STF and found out that with DNG files, all the settings are saved into the file itself. Feel like an idiot now.
06-23-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Feel like an idiot now.
Dinnae worry we've all been there, but not all will admit to it.
06-23-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And thanks for that :-)

06-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, I'll admit it! You don't want to know how much time it took me to figure that out.
06-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #6

Just to be clear - Lightroom will write to the files with any format that it knows how to safely write the EXIF to. This means that many forms of RAW will have updates without XMP sidecar files. The Tiffs generated by Vuescan are also directly modified.
06-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuchulainn Quote
Just to be clear - Lightroom will write to the files with any format that it knows how to safely write the EXIF to. This means that many forms of RAW will have updates without XMP sidecar files. The Tiffs generated by Vuescan are also directly modified.
That's good to know. How can I tell if LR will write to our .pef's without a sidecar?

Edit to add: I just tried it with one image and figured out how to see if a sidecar was created - with a .pef a sidecar was created. Guess I'll have to shoot .dng if I want the changes written directly to the file.

Last edited by stormtech; 06-24-2013 at 06:16 AM.
09-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #8

I am using cloud storage to backup my images. I am also backing up a Lightroom catalog.
I've read about .xmp files recently and decided that backing up such files is better than backing up the Lightroom catalog. All my images are in the .dng format and I found out that Lightroom writes XMP changes into the files.

So now I have some concerns:
1. If I enable "Automatically write changes into XMP" will it change the dates of last modification of my images?
2. The upload of my images to the cloud storage took about a week. Will it take another week to upload the XMP changed files?
3. Now I can reset all my edits to an image in Lightroom (to the original state). If this image with the modified XMP data in it is opened, for example, in Photoshop, will it be possible also to reset all edits or its original state will be the state when the XMP data was written in it?

Personally, I would appreciate sidecar files to my .dng files much more...