Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2013, 02:35 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Printing Nikon D800 vs Pentax K-01

Dear Pentaxian friends!

I have been playing around with a Nikon D800 + 24-70mm f/2.8G ED lens for almost a week. The reason why is because my Pentax 645D was shipped to Japan for inspection.

Today I was really bored and decided to make a small side by side test that everyone loves so much. My competitor for the Nikon was Pentax k-01 with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 xr di II (kit cost me 450€ or less).

So all pixel peepers can leave, this test was made for printing purpose.

These days I think too many of you only watch your images at 100% from a screen and never from a print. I love to feel the paper in my hands and watch my beautiful images hang on my walls. They look better every day!

You can see the images in the end. I did use the same settings and same kelvins for the shots. I will not go to details, as this is not a technical test. (tripod used)

Both images where edited the same way. The Pentax image was a little bit darker so I brightened it up.

I chose to print in A3 size, which is the size photo enthusiasts mostly do as a big print. Both images printed in 240dpi/16bit. I was surprised by the result. There was almost no difference at all. At close inspection the Nikon looked richer, later on the Pentax looked better. Must sleep on this!

I had to print them bigger… In A2 size the Nikon was printed in 300dpi and the Pentax only came up to 200dpi. I did not mess with any re sizing. Again I was surprised by the result. They looked identical on the table but at closer inspection you see the Nikons richer details and sharper image. And of course, it should look better.

But when I hang them up, took one step back no way I could tell them apart!!!

This test was made for all of you who love photography. For them who forgot why they take pictures. For them who dreamed about upgrading to the most expensive and best gear so they can watch the images in Photoshop at 100% before posting them online. This test is relatively stupid, they are still very different cameras. Wanted people to remember that beautiful images can be done for a decent price.

I try to print one image every day. Sign it and on the back I write all relevant information. This I do so my children on day can find my printed archive and be proud of what I have done. Maybe hang one or two on the wall. They do nothing with a bunch of dead hard drives!

Best Regards,

Jan

UPDATE!!!
After a good night sleep and well-rested eyes I took a proper detail inspection for the A3 prints in good daylight.

In the Nikon print I found more details in extreme places like single grass straws, leafs, stone surface etc. It is a pricier camera so there should be a difference… My wife could not tell them apart so I really knew where to look.

Even if the Nikon had finer detail in really extreme places I was a little surprised that some areas looked better on the Pentax print. The K-01 is good even with a really cheap lens.

Today the biggest surprise was still how good the Pentax K-01 stood against the Nikon in the A2 print. Really impressed!

Maybe I do a K-01 and 645D test, but in my opinion the 645D has a different look in the images. More realistic 3D look!

Thank you for all the good feedback!

From this link you can find a few images that I have shot with my Pentax cameras. The 645d, k-5 and k-01 and lenses from old manual, cheap third party and expensive Pentax ones. You can see from the crop factor if it is shot with the 645d, I rarely crop in Photoshop.

http://www.folio.se/photographer/Jan...tr%C3%B6m.aspx

Last edited by jani80; 06-25-2013 at 12:54 PM.
06-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nah, they are the same picture.

I am joking and anyone who takes the above seriously should go out and take some pictures.

Great to see that you compared print to print. From normal viewing distance, it'd be hard to distinguish between most cameras, let alone the k-01 and the D800. Sometimes we get a little too caught up in some parameters over the whole package.
06-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Now that I have discovered Zazzle, printed and framed images are just a few mouse clicks away.
I used to print and frame in two different steps or retailers, but zazzle does it all and it comes to my doorstep.

I totally agree that printing and hanging images is so much nicer when you see your work without a computer.
06-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Now all the remains is to do the test over again when your 645D comes back
I'm actually curious how that one holds out, from what i've seen and heard it prints really well.

06-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

These sort of demonstrations are always very valuable to see, especially when performed by photographers who have access to high end systems.

A2 sized prints are something I have never done. I must order some one day.
06-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Good points here.

A3 is the biggest I´ve printed either digital or film. I am interested to know what the viewing distance limit is for the A2 print at 200dpi for the K-5
06-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For people like me...

06-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for a refreshing topic!
Very nice.
Quite possibly, my favorite picture of all time is hanging in my living room, printed at 20x30 (almost A1) from my 6 MP K100DS and the kit lens.

Thanks!
06-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the comparison! Its always interesting to see comparison done like this.

I must confess that I do my share of pixel peeping but when I do its more a technical interest and I'm under no illusion that this is photography. That said it is nice to know what the strengths and weaknesses of your gear are and try and build on the strengths.

From the little (non printed) images you have posted I like how the Pentax image looks best but I know they probably look different again hanging on the wall!
06-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Now all the remains is to do the test over again when your 645D comes back
I have done a similar test, and the funny thing- because the 645D is a crop camera and it only making use of the lenses sweet spot the image from the 645D - even with older A series 645 lenses the Image quality is superb.With the D800 you have to be much more choosy of which lenses you use, for me I compared the 645D with the 75mm f/2.8 LS and the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 printed at A2 there were slight differences between them, at A1 those differences became more obvious even at standard* viewing distance in print form. In a similar comparison the Leica S2 holds a slight advantage over both cameras simply becasue the lenses for that camera are arguably the best lenses made for medium format system.

*Standard print viewing distance is equal to, or greater than the diagonal of the image.
06-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing. Differences come down more to processing and photographer skill, rather than the camera body used.

It is sad to me that so few people print their photos. I guess sticking them up on facebook or some other internet site is supposed to be the same thing, but it really isn't. As you say, eventually, the images will all be lost due to hard drive failures, disk problems. It is definitely worthwhile to print at least some of your better photos in my opinion.
06-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #12

My first digital camera was a Canon Rebel with 6 mega-pixels. I framed several 12x18in. prints from that camera, but had to be very careful processing the image. Processing is easier when you have 16megs.
06-25-2013, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Thanks for sharing. Differences come down more to processing and photographer skill, rather than the camera body used.

It is sad to me that so few people print their photos. I guess sticking them up on facebook or some other internet site is supposed to be the same thing, but it really isn't. As you say, eventually, the images will all be lost due to hard drive failures, disk problems. It is definitely worthwhile to print at least some of your better photos in my opinion.
I have to agree here. The only place I post photos on-line is here on the forum, and even that is quite rare. I am just starting to print more of my photos as I felt I was missing something along the way. Turns out that what I was missing was viewing my favorite images in print - now I have an "end game" so to speak when I am out shooting.

I'm glad to see this comparison - the megapixel race only benefits the camera manufactures who try to tell us that more is better. You've proven this wrong here and I like it!
06-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have done a similar test, and the funny thing- because the 645D is a crop camera and it only making use of the lenses sweet spot the image from the 645D - even with older A series 645 lenses the Image quality is superb.With the D800 you have to be much more choosy of which lenses you use, for me I compared the 645D with the 75mm f/2.8 LS and the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 printed at A2 there were slight differences between them, at A1 those differences became more obvious even at standard* viewing distance in print form. In a similar comparison the Leica S2 holds a slight advantage over both cameras simply becasue the lenses for that camera are arguably the best lenses made for medium format system.

*Standard print viewing distance is equal to, or greater than the diagonal of the image.
Not only that but i've always liked the look of the K10D images, i'm not sure if it's beacuse of the CCD sensor.
Anyway, i'm curious how CCD in the 645D holds out against the CMOS sensors in smaller camera's when it comes to overall feeling of the image when printed.
06-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jani80 Quote
But when I hang them up, took one step back no way I could tell them apart!!!
I think we all know this, but willfully ignore it. That new camera is so shiny and... new! Thanks for the reality check.

QuoteOriginally posted by matoqui Quote
My first digital camera was a Canon Rebel with 6 mega-pixels.
My first digital camera had a resolution of 640x480, or 0.3 megapixels. It might do for a small framed picture on your desk.