Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
A couple of questions about ACDSee Pro 6

Hi,

I have been trying out ACDsee Pro 6, and it is available right now around $59.
It looks really good - and I have read a lot about it online.
I just have a couple of questions that some of you maybe can answer.

I'm happy for the lense and camera profiles in LR 3.6 that I use right now, but I don't know if the changes in picures are so big that I would miss out a lot?? What are your opinion about that?
I know that I can do some manual tweaking in ACDsee and maybe save the settings for later use. And I do not have any fish eye lense - so the question is, if this feature is to important to miss out on (compared to LR).

There are people both for and against the sharpening and NR in ACDsee - what's your opinion? I'm not an expert on this, but think it works ok in LR 3.6.
I am thinking that maybe some 3rd party tool as noise ninja or something else can fill the gab on difficult images if needed?

My biggest concern is the missing lense and camera profiles as I think it can be hard to spot and change those things manually.
I ask primarily because of the low price of ACDsee pro right now - and because I really appreciate it's "explore like" handling of pictures, and that I do not have to import them like in LR. It seems really fast to me compared to LR3.6.

Hope you have some input - and thank you in advance

/NKK

06-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

There is a camera profile color difference in Pro 6. Very minor and a default can be set by the user. Normally I give it a +.25 exposure increase.

I use Pro 6 sharpen for 'Capture' sharpening, I use a plugin in my external editor for out put sharpening. Big difference.
Noise reduction is fair, i use it only to remove noise generated by the capture sharpening. Once again I use a Plugin.

The catalog feature in Pro can't be beat, If you look at an image or folder, it's imported. Categories and Keywords are simple to assign.

Things I like : Non-destructive editing, Lighting Tool Tab, Color Tool Tab, Clarity, Vibrancy. With Lighting you can use your mouse and
drag with either left or right button held down to change lighting zones.

I've used Pro since 2.5. Pro 6 is the best yet for color and tools. It's price is cheap now probably because Pro 7 is coming soon. They
always drop the price before a new release.

Disclaimer I judge a raw converter on how well it matches the Pentax Programs output. If it takes WAY too many adjustments to get
close to Pentax it's not worth it to me. Pro 6 works pretty good.
06-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
NKK
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
There is a camera profile color difference in Pro 6. Very minor and a default can be set by the user. Normally I give it a +.25 exposure increase.

I use Pro 6 sharpen for 'Capture' sharpening, I use a plugin in my external editor for out put sharpening. Big difference.
Noise reduction is fair, i use it only to remove noise generated by the capture sharpening. Once again I use a Plugin.

The catalog feature in Pro can't be beat, If you look at an image or folder, it's imported. Categories and Keywords are simple to assign.

Things I like : Non-destructive editing, Lighting Tool Tab, Color Tool Tab, Clarity, Vibrancy. With Lighting you can use your mouse and
drag with either left or right button held down to change lighting zones.

I've used Pro since 2.5. Pro 6 is the best yet for color and tools. It's price is cheap now probably because Pro 7 is coming soon. They
always drop the price before a new release.

Disclaimer I judge a raw converter on how well it matches the Pentax Programs output. If it takes WAY too many adjustments to get
close to Pentax it's not worth it to me. Pro 6 works pretty good.

Hi Thazoo,

Thank you for the input - I think it looks really interesting, and yes the catalog is great, and I like how fast it is and just uses folders by default, and then you can add tags, categories etc as you need and feel for.

I will definitely test some more this weekend.

And thank you for the hint on the exposure defaults
07-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
NKK
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I tried the trial during the weekend. It looks promising, and I am happy with it so far.
So decided to buy it now at a discount $59 - I Allways forget the sales tax so it turned out to be ~$69.

After everything got in the catalog it work fine even over my home network. It actually catalogs everything automatically as you browse your files, but I decided to import everything over night.
Now it's just to get used to new software and get everything sorted out again.
I think what appeals to me the most is the "explorer-like" browsing. It makes it really easy to navigate when you already have a structure build in your filesystem.

07-03-2013, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Congrats. Here's a link to the ACDSee forum if you haven't found it yet.

https://getsatisfaction.com/acdsystems

A lot of knowledgeable people.
07-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
NKK
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Congrats. Here's a link to the ACDSee forum if you haven't found it yet.

https://getsatisfaction.com/acdsystems

A lot of knowledgeable people.
Thank you thazooo

I found it and you are right, there are a lot of help to get there.
Happy with the purchase so far