Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Problem with LightRoom

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with LightRoom and if so, how to fix it:

When viewing images in "Library", sometimes if I click on "Develop", it stretches a portrait-orientation photo to fit landscape-orientation, and vice-versa. The images end up looking like one of those funhouse mirrors. I can't get them back to normal to actually develop, although if you click "Library" again, the images return to normal. Any advice? Thanks.
Paul

03-19-2008, 01:56 AM   #2

Never saw that problem here. What version of Lightroom are you using ?
03-19-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The original software I bought was LR 1.0, which I eventually updated through 1.3. So it's 1.3 now. What I had to do to work around it was to re-import the same folder from it's source, and delete the problematic folder of the same images. Then it doesn't do that. (Windows XP dumps the photos to "My Pictures" as well as LightRoom when I download from my SD card- I've just now started do some RAW photos and I'm not sure what XP does with them, it will certainly not display those if you open My Pictures, but the corresponding images are visible there in LightRoom.) I saw some LightRoom training videos which I might buy, there's a lot to learn.
03-19-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I sometimes see is that the cached thumbnails are distorted (like the thumbnail is portrait but LR forgot the image is portrait, so shows a portrait thumbnail in landscape). After a while (5 seconds or so), LR would then refresh all thumbnails in the overview window and fix it. Don't know what would happen if I pressed 'Develop' before the refresh happens, though.

03-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aha! THAT is exactly what happens. Except I'm not sure about the refresh part, but I'll just try to make sure to give it plenty of time to do its thing before I hit "Develop". Thanks for the reply.
03-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
I'm not sure what XP does with them, it will certainly not display those if you open My Pictures
Pentax has a download which adds Pentax RAW support to Windows. You won't see a difference to JPGs anymore as far as Windows Explorer and Preview are concerned.
03-21-2008, 03:39 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Pentax has a download which adds Pentax RAW support to Windows. You won't see a difference to JPGs anymore as far as Windows Explorer and Preview are concerned.
I thought that only worked for Vista and not for XP ?