Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unicolor Bold in PP

I use Lightroom and occasionally Photoshop for post processing but I'm not very good with producing creative filters look in either of them. I really like the result of the "Unicolor Bold" filter that's on the Q when it is appropriate. I was wondering if anyone can show me how to recreate that kind of look in PP.

Thanks!

07-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post an example of what you have in mind?
07-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Something that looks like this.

I don't have the same image without the filter on. But the color of the flower is this:

07-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You have disabled downloads for your photos. I would think that a saturation bump on a specific color mask would do what you are looking for. attach the bottom pic to a post where we can download them and we can all take a swag at getting the look you want

07-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have no idea which setting on Flickr affects download

Does attachment here work?
Attached Images

07-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

In lightroom turn your photo into black and white.
Use split toning to get the colour you want.
07-12-2013, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

In LR4 (and I presume 5) you can adjust HSL (hue, saturation, luminance) for individual colors in several ways. These tutorials below explain how and include sample images.

As Anvh said, split toning can do it but I haven't used that at all. If I wanted to get the effect you posted I would first try to decrease overall saturation, then boost the saturation of red.

Mastering HSL in Lightroom – Part 1 of 3 | X-Equals - Click. Download. Smile.
Mastering HSL in Lightroom – Part 2 of 3 | X-Equals - Click. Download. Smile.
07-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
In lightroom turn your photo into black and white.
Use split toning to get the colour you want.
Yeah, I think this is it. In that case it was red highlights. Just play with saturation and balance

07-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I personally use LightZone but you should be able to attain what you want in Lightroom. After 5 or so minutes of fiddling about in LZ here is my tool stack;;

1. BW Blue Filter - Isolate the tonality of the zones I want to work with
2. Relight Tool - Blending Mode = Soft burn, Detail Bumped - defines zones with more contrast
3. ZoneMapper - Locked top zone in place compressed the bottom 14 zones to bring out the portions of the flower I want to work with
4. turn off BW filter
5. Hue/Saturation - Chose reds, adjust the ranges and bump saturation waaaaay up
6. Hue Saturation - Choose greens, adjust ranges and bump saturation waaaaay down

Result, attached. Not quite what you have in your example but if I put more time into it I think a more exact approximation could be reached.
Attached Images

07-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
In LR4 (and I presume 5) you can adjust HSL (hue, saturation, luminance) for individual colors in several ways. These tutorials below explain how and include sample images.
There are many ways to Rome, when also look at the options you've in photoshop you might drown in them ^^
07-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips everyone, looks like I have some homework to do.

A quick 5 mins tweaks with Avnh's suggestion got me mostly there but I can't keep non-red as black as the filter and the red isn't as brilliant either. I will have to play around with it more. (with only LR4)
07-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Mastering HSL in Lightroom – Part 2 of 3 | X-Equals - Click. Download. Smile.
this looks great,
Thanks
07-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Thanks for the tips everyone, looks like I have some homework to do.

A quick 5 mins tweaks with Avnh's suggestion got me mostly there but I can't keep non-red as black as the filter and the red isn't as brilliant either. I will have to play around with it more. (with only LR4)
When you put the image to black and white (click on B&W on the top right in the first panel under the word basic) you can change the "level" of how black or white each colour will be.
It's in the HSL and more colour option panel, it's the 3th or 4th panel.

Not sure what you mean with brilliant, maybe the slide that's in the first panel named clarity might do the trick.
07-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Could brilliance = Vibrance or Luminosity?
07-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After playing with it for a while last night, it seems like the easiest (at least for me) is to adjust the HSL and then split tone to get something closest to the one output from Q directly. I feel like I have much more control over which area I want to keep B&W doing it this way rather than convert the image to B&W and then use split tone. But then again it could just be my lack of understanding. I did find that I took a similar shot in color and here's my result of it. I think it's pretty close. Thanks all!
Attached Images