Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I've just decided to get Aftershot Pro because of its capability to batch processing and to use the same correction file to hundread of pictures with several clicks only. I shoot up to now mainly in jpeg, so if the setting of my K5 was incorrect, than hundreads of pictures should be corrected. I start to use raw file few months ago, and find Aftershot can handle pef format nicely. I still use Mandriva 2010 on dual core processor with 19" lcd screen and GPU accelerator that suit to Aftershot Pro.

07-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Darktable here. I really enjoy using it. I like its ability to do batch processing (such as lens correction). Profiled denoise is nice too. I am definitely not an expert with it though: I rarely use anything beyond exposure, lens correction, noise reductions.

I find the program to be powerful and I especially like that it doesn't seem to be building ghost directories.
07-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #18
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
64bit Ubuntu 12.04 with gnome 3 desktop here-- an awesome os. I use Digikam to handle my archive. Ufraw as a gimp plugin for most developing but resorting to darktable with its noise profiling for higher iso work. Gimp is my editor and I have a virtual xp installed via virtualbox as my printing application. Linux printer drivers are still not good enough for my Canon 610.
08-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
Forum Member

Full Linux here (except for using my film scanner that isn't fully supported). Not a lot of PP though. I shoot RAW FILM
Then I scan as JPEG and use small tools for contrast/saturation adjustments and crops and suchlike in Shotwell. I need pixel editing only when there's dust on my images and I really want to clean it So I fire GIMP and know only the zoom and clone tools there.
With my digital cameras I tried shooting RAW+JPEG but usually the camera JPEG is better than what I can come up with due to my limited knowledge of the raw conversion tools. And life is too short for me to learn that stuff . So I'm not doing that anymore and back to shooting JPEG only (shame on me?).

08-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Luc More Quote
Full Linux here (except for using my film scanner that isn't fully supported). Not a lot of PP though. I shoot RAW FILM
Then I scan as JPEG and use small tools for contrast/saturation adjustments and crops and suchlike in Shotwell. I need pixel editing only when there's dust on my images and I really want to clean it So I fire GIMP and know only the zoom and clone tools there.
With my digital cameras I tried shooting RAW+JPEG but usually the camera JPEG is better than what I can come up with due to my limited knowledge of the raw conversion tools. And life is too short for me to learn that stuff . So I'm not doing that anymore and back to shooting JPEG only (shame on me?).
Ahh dust on the negatives--- I have scanned my 35mm archive and now the time spent cloning the dust and scratches off the special ones is almost a therapy-- in beyond 100% spot by spot. One really gets an affinity for the image. And the end result is so rewarding. Regarding the camera jpegs I agree with you -- the camera does a damn good job of converting and it is a challenge to equal it. But I figure with practise I can only get better. When I see posts from people who minimize their imput on PP I wonder why they bother using raw considering the cameras ability to convert.
08-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I used Linux and tried most of the PP programs ( GIMP, Raw Therapy, Dark Table etc ) and still went back to PSE on my Windows laptop. It just worked better and easier for me and now has retired my Linux computer . It was really old. USing PSE and LR and even with the learning curve of LR found it much more user friendly than GIMP.
08-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
I used Linux and tried most of the PP programs ( GIMP, Raw Therapy, Dark Table etc ) and still went back to PSE on my Windows laptop. It just worked better and easier for me and now has retired my Linux computer . It was really old. USing PSE and LR and even with the learning curve of LR found it much more user friendly than GIMP.
After dabbling in open source I turned totally to the linux side about three years ago with an Ubuntu 10.04 build. Since then open source has sent me on a journey of learning that would be unimaginable in the windows world on a budget. And yes it is difficult to break into the world of Gimp but some people (myself included) call that learning - not just a hassle. The trick to start with in Gimp is to work out how to select and lay out the tool tabs in a way that suits your usage. This is done via the little arrows on the tabs. Once laid out then go to edit/preferences and select -tools save now and windows save now. With save on closure unticked. This means Gimp will open to your preferences no matter how much you have got it tangled. Also it simplifies things to learn to apply your own keyboard shortcuts (edit/ keyboard shortcuts) to the tools you commonly use such as colour curves. Three years on and I have much still to learn about Gimp but that is a measure of how comprehensive it is and not about how user-unfriendly it is.

08-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
This means Gimp will open to your preferences no matter how much you have got it tangled.
Oh, I need to try this. I get very frustrated when I use Gimp on my 13" screen. The toolboxes just refuse to stay still if I start changing workspaces.
08-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #24
Pentaxian

My Linuxhistory seems to be disturbingly similar to GUBīs, U10.04--->U12.04/Gnome3...

GIMP and Darktable are my choices, GIMP from the beginning and i do, well, i think 99% of editing with it. Yeah, there is a learning curve but heck, if i can learn it...
RAW-editing, well for me itīs limited to cases when i reallyreallybadly need it, and Darktable is intuitive enough to use occasionally. I shoot RAW+, just in case that i have nice frame but somethingīs so wrong that JPEG isnīt enough. After all, space is cheap these days.

Finchj, do you mean the two dedicated windows for tools and the other for, well, dontīt now itīs name in english...? I think the latest version of GIMP has put down (at least optionally) the separated tool-windows.
08-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan178 Quote
My Linuxhistory seems to be disturbingly similar to GUBīs, U10.04--->U12.04/Gnome3..
And doesn't Gnome3 just rock once you have persevered for a week to learn it. I just laugh at the mac vs ms debate running on a nearby thread.
08-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

For Gimp vs. PS, one may refer to http://dl.meetthegimp.org/GIMP_vs_PS_r2.pdf which I think is a pretty fair comparison with "areas to improve" on both sides

Linux certainly is a very good OS. Yet, I like it more on the server side of things, preferring MacOS for the client which is Unix too ... Because sometimes, commercial software is pretty good.
08-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
For Gimp vs. PS, one may refer to http://dl.meetthegimp.org/GIMP_vs_PS_r2.pdf which I think is a pretty fair comparison with "areas to improve" on both sides

Linux certainly is a very good OS. Yet, I like it more on the server side of things, preferring MacOS for the client which is Unix too ... Because sometimes, commercial software is pretty good.
I used Xubuntu for many years with Gimp and all the other ones mentioned but when Corel would not open raw from my Q I bought a iMac and Aperture, wish I had done it much earlier .
08-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #28
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Thanks for that link Falconeye. As I have never dabbled in PS I have wondered if I was missing something. Now I have total confidence in Gimp. I use it in conjunction with Hugin and Inkscape which covers some of Gimp's blindspots. I am speaking this as an amateur photographer with an attempt at a learning curve. It would be interesting to know who are amateurs and who are professionals on this thread. I take it from your website that you are a professional Falconeye.
08-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I take it from your website that you are a professional Falconeye.
I'm not.

As for the above comparison, I am reading it a bit differently. In my creative work, I do, e.g., depend on features like "Refine Edge". Actually, I use a combination of Refine Edge, Topaz ReMask and onOne Perfect Mask to get some of the effects I need. If I cannot mask hairs, bridal veils etc. I'd feel limited. If I read the comparison correctly, Gimp would not help me much here. So, maybe not all points in that comparison must be weighted equally. Brushes seem to be another area of concern if you really artistically alter photographs.

But this may be of lesser concern if one wants to optimize photographs (give them more expression), rather than re-interprete them or compose art from many parts.

Last edited by falconeye; 08-11-2013 at 02:50 AM.
08-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #30

I'm a Linux user too. For the photography side of things, ATM I'm mostly using RawTherapee day-to-day, The Gimp (mostly for removing dust spots), Luminance HDR and Hugin for panoramas, plus a bunch of scripts built around ImageMagick and exiftool (two main uses here: normalizing pictures e.g. for the web, and fixing the EXIF data when using old lenses). I'm hosting my blogs and photo galleries on my home Linux boxes, too.