Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

Anyone else using Linux?

The Lightzone software has been released for free (Linux and Windows with Mac version coming soon):
http://lightzoneproject.org/
I'm on Linux and looking for a capable Raw developer/editor. How is Lightzone? What are my other options? I've got a K-30 so that needs to be supported...
Then there's AfterShot Pro that I'm seriously considering, too.
Can't help but notice how limited my options are compared with Windows! I've even had to download the GIMP in-development version to get 16-bits per channel color support in a pixel editor.

07-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Linux user here. Home, anyway. C# developer at work though, so windows there. I used to primarily use gimp + ufraw, but I'm lazy and never figured out the batch conversions (or is it that I'm a control freak?) I've recently been trying darktable, rawtherapee, rawstudio. I think I still like gimp + ufraw the most, even though I think it's more limited in general than the others. I think I'm so brainwashed by the way picasa organized things that I haven't been able to adapt to the way the more comprehensive studios organize things.

ANYWAY, the point of this is, those are what I've been able to use that are available to both windows and linux
07-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've heard a lot of good stuff about UFRaw, and that it can be used as a Gimp plugin? I'll look into it.
By the way, both Corel Aftershot Pro (used to be called Bibble) and Lightzone are available in Windows and Linux versions. I must say, Lightzone looks the most interesting to me, unfortunately my camera isn't supported yet. Too bad cause it's free.
I'm playing with Aftershot Pro now, trying to work out its healing brush. It does look promising.
07-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another Linux user here.

I must admit I still use JPG most of the time. I don't like spending a lot of time PP - what little spare time I have I try to spend with my camera. I do understand the benefits of RAW though.

I use GIMP for my PP and UFRaw when needed.

BTW: Darktable is worth a look too.

07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On linux I use ufraw, the ImageMagick and the Gimp.
I dislike pp work so I write scripts to do the boring jobs for example:

This one adds a copyright to all the camera photos in a dir

#!/bin/bash
PR_wkdir=~/Pictures/work
for file in $PR_wkdir/*; do
if [ ${file: -4} == ".DNG" ] || [ ${file: -4} == ".dng" ] || [ ${file: -4} == ".tif" ]|| [ ${file: -4} == ".TIF" ]
then
exiftool -copyright="Copyright c 2013 WombatCorp" -Artist="2go" $file
exiftool -filename -copyright -artist $file
fi
done

This one downsizes the big medium format jpgs off the scanner, or the ***camera jpgs using adjacent pixel averaging and renames them in order :

#!/bin/bash
#Script for downsize of jpg. 2013-06-09
PR_wkdir=/media/disk-1/resize_jpgs
Name=Traveller1000.jpg
cd $PR_wkdir
PR_Num=0
for file in $PR_wkdir/*; do

if [ ${file: -4} == ".JPG" ] || [ ${file: -4} == ".jpg" || [ ${file: -4} == ".tif" ]|| [ ${file: -4} == ".TIF"]
then
PR_Num=$((PR_Num+1))
convert $file -resize 25% $PR_Num$Name
echo "**Scaled:"$file"_to_:"$PR_Num$Name
fi
done

This one is a function that converts a K-01 photo .dng to a 16 bit tif:

function PR_raw {
ufraw-batch --wb=camera --exposure=0 --out-type=tif --out-depth=16 $1
}

This function , used in a loop, does lateral ca correction of a batch of photos:

function PR_ca {
PR_lens_ca=$(tca_correct -o abcv $1 | tail -n 1)
fulla $PR_lens_ca $file -o $2
rm $1
}
The ImageMagick classes can do everything imaginable to a photo from the command line or scripts, I have only scratched the surface so far
07-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Another Linux user here. The Gimp is my friend for what little post I do. I admit to shooting JPG. I used Digikam for a while. Just installed Darktable...
07-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another linux user.

I mostly use GIMP for my post work.
generally pretty basic stuff though.

07-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Linux and Windows at home. Mainly GIMP on Linux and GIMP and Paint.NET on Windows.

QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Linux user here. Home, anyway. C# developer at work though, so windows there. I used to primarily use gimp + ufraw, but I'm lazy and never figured out the batch conversions (or is it that I'm a control freak?) I've recently been trying darktable, rawtherapee, rawstudio. I think I still like gimp + ufraw the most, even though I think it's more limited in general than the others. I think I'm so brainwashed by the way picasa organized things that I haven't been able to adapt to the way the more comprehensive studios organize things.

ANYWAY, the point of this is, those are what I've been able to use that are available to both windows and linux
There is no official release of darktable for Windows, correct? Are there any prebuilt binaries for Windows from any reliable source?
07-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In general, I'm a Linux user too, but not for PP stuff I just tried Darktable but didn't spend too much time with it, maybe I should try harder.

And it's good to know other Linux users
07-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I use Linux and Windows at home. Mainly GIMP on Linux and GIMP and Paint.NET on Windows.

There is no official release of darktable for Windows, correct? Are there any prebuilt binaries for Windows from any reliable source?
Unfortunately there is no release of Darktable for Windows: install | darktable

What I need is a program that not only converts Raw images, but will allow me to do touch-ups, all without losing colour depth (until I finally convert to JPEG). AfterShot does allow for all this, but I haven't figured out how to get the heal/clone brush to do what I want - yet.
07-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Try Photivo, the presets are text files so it is easy to make one for your cam. Very complete but simple to use. I believe it
Is also ported to Win.
07-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
Forum Member

I have not used LightZone but I just found this mini review which might help you A quick review of the LightZone Photo Editor: Digital Photography Review.
That said I use Raw Therapee for raw development which I find quite good. The link is RawTherapee Blog
07-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Linux user here, too. I mostly use digiKam for pp, and use GIMP or Picasa if I need the clone tool (digiKam doesn't have one yet). showFoto is a slimmed-down version of digiKam, offering all the editing tools, and leaving out the cataloging & organization tools.
07-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My wife uses PC/OS Linux & loves it. The interface is very much like Windows XP, so there's not as much of a learning curve as some of the other distros.
07-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Casual Linux user, do my PP in Windows using LightZone though. LZ is a great program, when I shoot raw I shoot in DNG and those get read fine with LZ. With Lightzone getting developer support again new camera profiles should be added as soon as they are able meaning that your K30 PEF would get native support as well.