Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Can't get Photoshop CS6 to "see" Camera Raw 8.1

hi,
so, I just upgraded to Lightroom 5 - great. Only when I send my photos over to Photoshop CS6, it says that the camera raw is not up to date and so some things might not be rendered properly - and it's true. The radial filter that is in LR5 doesn't turn out at all once it opens in PS (that's if I say "open anyway"), and there might be some other quality issues too, not sure. So to do it I have to edit as a TIFF saved by Lr, which isn't ideal because it gives me more copies of the image and blah blah blah - I just want it to do it properly. It says I need Camera Raw 8.1.
Now, HERE IS THE THING - I look in Photoshop and go to "Update", and it says it can't connect because maybe my "browser settings are incorrect". It doesn't think to tell you maybe what the browser settings should BE (good going Adobe) - I turned off my Firewall and tried again but same story.

So I tried manually updating. I went to the Adobe website and after way more searching than should ever have to be done (side note: their web developers need to read a book called "Don't make me think - a guide to web usability") anyway, I found the camera raw and DNG coverter 8.1. Great, downloaded, installed... but still Photoshop only SEES Camera Raw 7.4. Adobe doesn't provide instructions on how to make PS see the new version of Camera Raw. When I open a raw file with Photoshop, it opens in Camera Raw 7.4. When I check in PS what versions of ACR it's using, it says 7.4... and nothing's changed.

SO - how do I either
A: make Photoshop update it from the program like it should (do you have any tips as to what my browser settings SHOULD be, seeing as Adobe is arrogant enough to claim mine are wrong but not helpful enough to suggest how)
or B: get it to see that I have installed Camera Raw 8.1...

?

Thanks.

07-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the same issue with lr 4 and ps5 same message, the problem i have is my llr version is newer than my ps version and the acr version in lr is not supported by lr 5 , I assume you might have the same issue. If you open the help in lr there is in the drop down menu a update option try that and see if the acr version is up to date, if it is you are stuck I'm afraid.
07-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Adobe would seem to disagree because on their website they say that ACR is free, and like I said, i HAVE ACR 8,1 but Photoshop won't look at it...

Also you misunderstood. Lightroom is 100% up to date. Photoshop is not up to date but will not go online to update... because it's stupid.
07-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
All sorted now.
After much trawling around the Adobe site I found the link for the download of ACR 8.1 - and adwb - you should be able to do the same thing. It shouldn't matter what version of PS you're using, you should be able to use ACR 8.1 and patch it to your PS.

How Adobe came to own the world of photo editing I have no idea. Good software, HORRIBLE website and useability of that website.

07-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

photoshop CS6 support ACR 7 and not ACR 8, you need to new Photoshop CC if you want ACR 8 inside of photoshop.

You might try "open as smart filter" to see if that works.

The ACR/DNG converter 8,1 you downloaded is something completely else.

btw... make it do properly? If you don't use DNG for RAW it always create a TIFF or PSD you know, i'm not sure what the fuss is about.
Don't you save your photoshop edits?
07-21-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
if you want ACR 8 inside of photoshop.
I open an image in CS6 and it runs ACR 8.1, as does Bridge and Lightroom5 and I'm not using Adobe Cloud based software.

So there must be a way of making it happen.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-21-2013 at 06:34 AM.
07-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ah okay, normally they break the update for ACR with each version.

Does this work?
http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/mac/PhotoshopCameraRaw7-7.0/8.1.79/setup.dmg

Since you did not say which OS this is the windows one...

Last edited by Anvh; 07-21-2013 at 07:10 AM.
07-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TimKierath Quote
All sorted now.
After much trawling around the Adobe site I found the link for the download of ACR 8.1 - and adwb - you should be able to do the same thing. It shouldn't matter what version of PS you're using, you should be able to use ACR 8.1 and patch it to .
No that's not true unfortunately, Adobe are not daft, you have to upgrade CS to match the newer ACR versions.
07-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
No that's not true unfortunately, Adobe are not daft, you have to upgrade CS to match the newer ACR versions.
i atleast check it when someone say i'm wrong...
Beside that CS6 is the newest CS, because they change to CC now with a different upgrade/pay method

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/adobe-camera-raw-8-support-f...oshop-cs6.html
www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/10/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-4-4-Adobe-Camera-Raw-7-4
07-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TimKierath Quote
get Photoshop CS6 to "see" Camera Raw 8.1
Should be simple enough - download and install (l assume you are running Windows):

http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/win/PhotoshopCameraRaw7-7.0/8.1.79/setup.zip
07-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I open an image in CS6 and it runs ACR 8.1, as does Bridge and Lightroom5 and I'm not using Adobe Cloud based software.

So there must be a way of making it happen.
And same here, as I'd already said.
07-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

There has been given options, so any feedback?
07-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Worked for me

I was looking for this as well and downloaded and installed the link provided here. Worked beautifully, thanks so much!