Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Goodbye Photoshop CS, Hello Photoshop CC

Well, Adobe made an interesting switch. People cannot buy photoshop anymore, but have to rent it on a month to month basis. The first year is about $10 a month for the first year for those who have recent versions of Photoshop. Others will have to pay more. It is an interesting switch. I guess the upgrades will perhaps be more continuous, and even better, camera raw will also be able to read the files of newer cameras.

Last edited by Eric Seavey; 07-24-2013 at 03:32 PM.
07-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not a fan of The Cloud for programs. Bad decision for them, they loose me as a customer going forward.
07-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

With this new format, do you basically need an internet connection to be able to do anything? That would suck big time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
they loose me as a customer going forward.
Me as well.

07-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought of upgrading from CS5 to CS6 and then I see that Adobe is throwing everything up in the air !

I wonder if there is still a possible way to upgrade without having to go the "cloud" way?

JP
07-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Boy, this cloud thing is sure raining on people's parade
07-24-2013, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does that really mean you need an internet connection to run the programs? That sounds strange....

"Edit" I found the answer:

Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Adobe® Creative Cloud™ desktop applications?

No. Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Adobe® Photoshop® and Illustrator®) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

An Internet connection is required the first time you install and license your desktop apps, but you can use the apps in offline mode with a valid software license. The desktop apps will attempt to validate your software licenses every 30 days.

For annual members, you can use the apps for up to 99 days in offline mode. Month-to-month members can use the software for up to 30 days in offline mode.

07-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You will need to allow it because you don't know when they're going to validate to the day. You can guess but if you miss that day and it can't talk to your computer you will find you can't use Photoshop thereafter. You have to call in and reactivate. I hate this system and I will not support it. I'm sticking with CS6 and CS2 and that's it I'm done, and btw, I'm a die hard Adobe fan so if they have lost me that's bad news for them. I've stuck through it all, all the licensing activation crap, all the tech issues, losing half my favorite plugs over several upgrades. I even upgraded my practically new computer even more to suit CS6 and it's memory hogging draconian video requirements. But I'm done. I'm not going to do this. This was the infamous straw for me.

CS6 does pretty much everything I could want. Yeah there are new and interesting things coming up and I will miss not having them, but not that much. I can do what I need to do, all of it, so that's that. I feel the same way about Win 7 vs Win 8 and beyond. I am very happy here. I don't like the new version of the OS so screw it. I'm not going to upgrade so long as I can still buy or build a computer than can run them this is it for me.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-24-2013 at 03:49 PM.
07-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I refuse to pay the ridiculous monthly fee. I don't use the software enough to justify it, to say nothing of the fact that I make absolutely no money using Adobe's software. I'm moving everything I can to open source software. GIMP is not bad, Scribus is a pretty good InDesign alternative, etc.

Heck, if my scanners and games were supported on Linux I'd switch to an open source OS too. I do hope that eventually Plustek publishes Linux drivers.
07-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been on their monthly sub plan for about 8 months now with CS6 and now CC

I honestly like it. I upgrade on a regular basis, so I figured that the cost of a yearly subscription for what...$200? is much better than paying out $700 for the software right out of pocket...then getting lost in the mix when the next update.

You do NOT need a constant internet connection. What I am assuming happens is the program essentially renew the licence every 30 days. So when I signed up, lets say I did it on the 24. Every time the 24 of the month rolls around CS6 does a check with the servers to see if I have paid up. If I have, cool, I get a little email telling me all is well. If not, then I get an email saying I got a week to pay up or they shut down my services.

It downloads the program to your comptuer and installs and operates normally. I've used it on my laptop without any net connection for upto two weeks without it freaking out....hence my assumption of the renewal of the licence.

I also get the updates loaded in the background when they come up, so really... I didn't even notice I was no longer on CS6 but now on CC.

Pretty cool. When my sub expires I will resign, but also pay the extra $5 or whatever it is for Lightroom.
07-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
An Internet connection is required the first time you install and license your desktop apps, but you can use the apps in offline mode with a valid software license. The desktop apps will attempt to validate your software licenses every 30 days.
This really goes to the heart of the matter - money.
They are getting their brains beat out due to piracy.
07-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
Well, Adobe made an interesting switch. People cannot buy photoshop anymore, but have to rent it on a month to month basis. The first year is about $10 a month for the first year for those who have recent versions of Photoshop. Others will have to pay more. It is an interesting switch. I guess the upgrades will perhaps be more continuous, and even better, camera raw will also be able to read the files of newer cameras.
Yes upgrades will actually for example include new features, the recent upgrade for premiere CC i believe supported some new features.

So instead of getting several new or improved feature with each major upgrade you simply get an new feature when it's ready.
This why we won't see CS7 anymore.

Also there are features that sync software with each other acros computers.

I don't see why everyone is so negative about this... is it the internet connection... who live without internet for 30 or 99 days in this age???
07-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think that Adobe is in an altruistic state of mind, and they want to help all of those photo program developers, which are striving to find a place on the market, and was, until now, crushed by the big Photoshop. A very generous move. Good job Adobe. And goodbye.
07-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Not really. People who pirate applications usually don't buy them. They're not potential customers and I think it's bogus to consider them as lost income. Photoshop being the most widely pirated application on the planet except maybe for Windows has made it the design star application it is today. I mean think about it. To photoshop something that's a verb now. I think this will hurt them in the long run. There is much discontent across the Adobe forums about this. People are migrating, many for the first time to other design applications.

They may have frustrated the pirates, for a while, but it probably won't last and in the meantime a lot of their regular paying customers may leave them and try new things. It's not just this. There have been a lot of issues with CS6, and a lot of people can't even run it without a major upgrade. Now they want to stop supporting earlier non subscription versions pre CS6, put you on a monthly payment plan and upgrade you whenever they feel like it? Not too sure that's a great idea myself.

I'm kind of hoping that they will eventually do what they did with CS2 up till CS5. Just give out a serial # when they stop supporting those. No more stupid activation? I could just stop with CS5. I liked that version actually more than CS6 in some ways...

Last edited by magkelly; 07-24-2013 at 05:21 PM.
07-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Of course it's about money, why else change? But not piracy... it's about the cost to manufacture and ship physical products (box, DVDs, etc.) around the world. That's a chunk of change Adobe doesn't need to pay anymore.

The reason for the Creative Cloud is also about keeping customers on the upgrade cycle without it seeming like a "big charge" every 18 months, just a slightly larger charge parsed out over 18 months! Mo money, mo money!