Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 02:54 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slow colour curves in gimp on linux

The curves tool on my Gimp (2.6 on Ubuntu) have gotten progressively slower to open , more than 5 seconds. It has taken me a lot of searching to find the solution so I thought I might share it with you in case someone else has the same problem. Turns out gimp curves dutifully saves a copy of your settings every time you use it. This had grown to a 28mb file on my computer and the reading of this was taking the time. Solution: Navigate to Home then Ctrl+H to show hidden folders. Find Gimp2.6 / tool-options and find the file called "gimp-curves-tools. settings". Delete this file (Just rename it if you are nervous about deleting it) It creates a new file when you restart the computer. All fixed.

07-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Seems it's true for Gimp 2.8.2 as well, although I haven't noticed a slow-down. Obviously, I'm not photographing enough.
Thanks for the information.
07-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you very much. It made my curves tool quicker too.
One small thing to be aware of, is that it deletes other tool-options too (which can be saved via Edit - Preferences - Tool Options).
The solution is to have gimp open while you delete the settings-file, and then click 'Save Tool Options Now'.
Thanks again for sharing.
07-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's a great heads up for all the Gimp users out there.

07-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's also a plugin (well, a script, actually) to clean out the tool settings at each Gimp startup. You can also customize the script (via a config file) to only clear settings that are so many days old or if the list is longer than a specified number. Pretty handy, actually. Info about it here: Keeping the color tools settings under control | GIMP Plugin Registry.
07-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
There's also a plugin (well, a script, actually) to clean out the tool settings at each Gimp startup. You can also customize the script (via a config file) to only clear settings that are so many days old or if the list is longer than a specified number. Pretty handy, actually. Info about it here: Keeping the color tools settings under control | GIMP Plugin Registry.
Yes I bumped into that one just before I found the blog describing deleting the folder. Figured it was something one had to address only every few months so didn't bother downloading the plugin. Is this a problem in windows installs as well? Or just the linux flavour.
07-31-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't speak to the Windows version, but after reading the above I checked the size of these files on my Mac version. Nothing too big.

The main slow-down I've noticed since upgrading from 2.6 to 2.8 is the gradient tool -- bad enough that I never use it (create gradients with blur instead).
07-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe Gimp's behavior is the same on Windows, but I'm using it on Kubuntu so couldn't say for sure. I not actually too concerned about the file sizes and never noticed a slowdown on my system. I'm using the script mainly to keep the list of settings tidy. I only really need access to the last 4-5 settings I've used, plus ones I've explicitly saved, and the script takes care of that for me.