Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

Converging verticals

Hi everybody!

Since now I've been taking pictures of architecture and encountered some problems with vertical but nothing very serious. I've managed to fix them.
Now I thought I'd just start and see what happens indoors.

The shot I have as an example, is taken from a corner to another corner.
The problem is with the corner you see on the picture. The vertical line is correct but two horizontals are far from straight. Tried to fix this in PS, but didn't work out at all. To be more exact, noting really happened. For correcting verticals I use Transform tools. I also looked up some tutorials from internet but they weren't much help either.

How could I fix or avoid it? Never shoot into corner again? Or do some heavy Photoshop?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want to do a transformation involving changed viewpoint that's one thing--but you cannot I believe affect (easily) the "fact that all the distances" are smaller the farther away they are. In one direction you are doing it--but to do in all directions would I believe be to akin to transform from the center out onto an inverted sphere (a bowl)--and all the lines would be strongly curved from the center.
07-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #3

I don't know how to fix this in post processing but shouldn't using a shift lens reduce this effect?
07-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Using a tilt/shift lens?

07-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
No money for tilt-shift lens yet. But the first answer was quite informative. Thanks a lot
07-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inmybubble Quote
How could I fix or avoid it?
For this scene, I'd use DxO Optics Pro, since I have it at hand, to do some geometrical corrections. It would be an easy fix.

Or you could use DxO Viewpoint, which is specifically for these kind of corrections, and also is cheaper to buy. Or have a go with ptlens
07-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #7

You may not need a shift lens depending on what body you have:

How to Turn Any Lens into a Shift Lens - Pentax Tutorial Videos - PentaxForums.com

Perhaps the vertical perspective filter or the keystone correction using the crop tool in Photoshop will do the trick?

07-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as actually getting perspective control lens (shift part of tilt and shift lens) much of what you do with it can be done in PS with perspective and skew (transforms). [Presume you knew you can do a perspective transformation on the interior room picture (BTW is it an homage to Van Gogh's painting of his room?) by pulling outwards horizontally from one of the top corners).]

What you cannot due with PS is shift to get rid of reflections, and when you shift in PS you lose a little bit of the edges--unless you are willing to accept a picture that is not a rectangle (2 sides are not parallel). which actually can look pretty cool--and it's nice sometimes to draw attention to what you did/altered.

Personally I use the PS transforms a lot. Once you use it you realize very minor leaning of buildings, etc. are so easily fixed, and it makes a much more professional look. In fact many photo's in magazine advertisements today are "unprofessional" in this sense--it would not have been so prevalent 30 years ago!
07-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
For this scene, I'd use DxO Optics Pro, since I have it at hand, to do some geometrical corrections. It would be an easy fix.

Or you could use DxO Viewpoint, which is specifically for these kind of corrections, and also is cheaper to buy. Or have a go with ptlens
You can use the manual lens corrections in lightroom to achieve what thes software program's offer you I believe.

The thing to remember is to allow enough "extra " in the image to allow for cropping after the distortion correction.
07-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
11mm - which lens did you use? Fisheye or rectilinear?
07-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
You can use the manual lens corrections in lightroom to achieve what thes software program's offer you I believe.
Having used both, I disagree. You may be able to twist and tweak the geometry of an image in LR, but it is tedious and not as capable as DxO by a mile.

DxO's geometrical corrections have these nice little tools that for example let you draw a rectangle on a scene, then drag and slide the corners to visually adjust the image in numerous ways. With LR it's a matter of pushing around several independent sliders. Ugh.
07-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Having used both, I disagree. You may be able to twist and tweak the geometry of an image in LR, but it is tedious and not as capable as DxO by a mile.

DxO's geometrical corrections have these nice little tools that for example let you draw a rectangle on a scene, then drag and slide the corners to visually adjust the image in numerous ways. With LR it's a matter of pushing around several independent sliders. Ugh.
I am still correct you don't need to buy anything, yes it might take a little longer but how much longer and depending on how often you need to correct is it worth the cost of more software?
07-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

What is the problem ?

A bit of rotation and a slight vertical perspective tweak is all that's needed to straighten things up (first one).

Or is this what you are trying to do (second one) ? It ain't going to work
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
08-01-2013, 03:05 AM   #14

Original Poster
For this scene, I'd use DxO Optics Pro, since I have it at hand, to do some geometrical corrections. It would be an easy fix. Or you could use DxO Viewpoint, which is specifically for these kind of corrections, and also is cheaper to buy. Or have a go with ptlens

Thanks rawr! I just tried out the DxO Viewpoint and I love it. It's so much more easier and functions are more clear than in PS.

kh1234567890, The problem was actually me over reacting. I see it now. But it was also a little bit of confusion and still a little less knowledge about converging the verticals.
At the moment I'm a little bit ashamed for this little panic, BUT I still learned new things and discovered a great program.

So, big thanks to everybody for sharing knowledge with an interior beginner!
08-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
With LR it's a matter of pushing around several independent sliders. Ugh.
Lightroom 5 now has this sorted under lens corrections section in develop module, push one button.