Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Scanner Issue with PSE7 / Win 7

Hi all,

I hate asking for computing help, but I'm really stumped...

I recently bought a new wireless router (ASUS RT-N66U) that has two USB ports. I've connected one to an external drive (works just fine throughout my network) and the other to my Canon multi-function device (printer/scanner). The MFD was installed as a Local Printer using a TCP/IP port per ASUS instructions...

I have two desktops connected via ethernet cable to the router (wireless is just for laptops, iPhones, guests etc.). One desktop is running Windows XP and the other is running Windows 7. On my Windows XP computer both printer and scanner work just fine with Photoshop Elements 7 and Acrobat Standard 7.0. On the Win 7 machine I can print with no problems, but Elements does not "see" the scanner and nothing I've tried has had any effect (File/Import has only two options, Frame From Video and WIA Support). I tried deleting the printer (from Devices and Printers) and reinstalling it, I've tried deleting and reinstalling drivers, and most recently I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling PS Elements (which was a major pain in its own right...). I don't have a full-up version of Acrobat to check on the Win 7 machine, but Picasa has an import from scanner function and it doesn't see the scanner either (but it will print to it). I assume I'm experiencing a Windows 7 issue, since it affects PSE and Picasa but I can't find anything useful on the web. Any experts out there?

Regards,

Tim Wilson

08-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First thing to do is make sure you have the latest windows updates, then check Canon for updates for your printer.

Loopyloo
08-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #3

Can you see the scanner on the Windows 7 machine?
08-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Both my OS and printer drivers are up-to-date.

Lou -- No, the Win 7 machine doesn't see the scanner but it does see the printer (it's a 3-in-1 MFD). If I disconnect the MFD from the router and connect it directly to the Win 7 computer then it works just fine. Sort of defeats the purpose though--I wanted to be able to access it from any computer on the network... Never expected the Win 7 machine to be the limiting factor.

08-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I guess I'm giving up on this one. I even installed Windows XP mode on my Win 7 machine and installed PSE in that environment but that didn't work either. I surrender!
08-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #6

Don't give up. try this:
Go to Control Panel and in the search box type 'view network devices'
Click on 'View network computers and devices'
When you see the scanner, right click on it and select 'Install'
You should proceed by following the on screen instructions.