Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Scanning Software for Mac

I've been looking around for a good photo scanning suite to replace Epson Scan since it is a PowerPC app and no longer works with OS 10.7 (due to the removal of rosetta). The only two I've seen doing a google search are VueScan and SilverFast, both of which are a little expensive for the few rolls of slides that I have sitting around. Does anyone know of any other scanning software for 10.7?

08-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be interested to hear the recommendations too.
08-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though I recommend Vuescan, doesn't Preview have scanning capabilities?

M
08-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
I've been looking around for a good photo scanning suite to replace Epson Scan since it is a PowerPC app and no longer works with OS 10.7 (due to the removal of rosetta). The only two I've seen doing a google search are VueScan and SilverFast, both of which are a little expensive for the few rolls of slides that I have sitting around. Does anyone know of any other scanning software for 10.7?

Have you checked the Epson site for updates? They are pretty good about Windows drivers. Macs? I dunno... Vuescan is a good bet. There is also Silverfast.

08-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can scan from Preview or Image Capture if your scanner is supported. But I don't think scanning transparencies is supported. VueScan is well worth the price, I started out with a standard license and upgraded to a pro license.
08-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What about Image Capture which comes with the OS? It has basic scanning functions. I have used Vuescan for many years and although the initial price is high, new versions are free.
08-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Something like TWAIN SANE Interface for MacOS X?

08-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #8

Just did a quick search on the Mac App Store.

PDFScanner
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdfscanner/id410968114?mt=12
The reviews are awesome! 4.5 stars and it looks great. Take a look! *Looks like it only scans PDF... so if you're looking to scan for TIFFs that wouldn't be a good idea*

Mac App Store has a big lack of scanning apps.. :/

-Steve
08-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
Look, VueScan is a near-standard solution for high quality scanning on Macs. It this is too rich for you, have Costco scan your slides cheaply. Their scans are functional enough so you can ID any worth higher quality attention from other sources. You can also research using your camera plus a macro lens to digitize a transparency.

M