Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K20D, Adobe DNG, and Photoshop CS2 w/ACR 3.7

Okay, I know Photoshop CS2 with Adobe Camera Raw 3.7 (ACR 3.7) does not support PEF files from the Pentax K20D, but what about Abobe's DNG file format? Can DNG files from the K20D be opened within ACR 3.7 without problems?

Adobe seems to be saying yes, in a vague sort of way. But, since their info is somewhat vague and I want no surprises when it comes to the potential cost of buying a K20D, I'd really like to hear from those who have actually tried this successfully.

Thanks in advance.

stewart

03-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would say you'll see the WB problems. They're shipping this new 4.4 profile to fix it.

I am not very sure about the above nor the following...

When installing the Adobe DNG converter (which is free), I see C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats\Camera Raw.8BI added to my system, used by both Adobe DNG converter and Photoshop CS3 (not LR, though).

What if you replaced C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats\Camera Raw.8BI by the same file? (don't forget about a backup copy of it first!)

Wouldn't that add ACR4.4 support to Photoshop CS2?

Just an idea...
03-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have PS Elements 4 with ACR 3.7
DNG files from my K 10 D open without difficulties, so I would imagine K20D DNG should be the same.
Adobe does have a plug-in ACR 4.4 , which includes the latest Pentax-models and PEF. However, this plug-in is only for the latest PS versions.
03-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I would say you'll see the WB problems. They're shipping this new 4.4 profile to fix it.

I am not very sure about the above nor the following...

When installing the Adobe DNG converter (which is free), I see C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats\Camera Raw.8BI added to my system, used by both Adobe DNG converter and Photoshop CS3 (not LR, though).

What if you replaced C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats\Camera Raw.8BI by the same file? (don't forget about a backup copy of it first!)

Wouldn't that add ACR4.4 support to Photoshop CS2?

Just an idea...
DNG being a generic Adobe RAW-format, white balance shouldn´t be a major problem as PS - or ACR actually - has access to all the data coming from the camera cell. The necessary adjustments can be done already in the conversion process within ACR.

What falcoeye describes above is exactly how you update the ACR in PS. Unfortunately Adobe states the following on their home pages:

"The Camera Raw 4.4 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS3 or versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 4.0 for Macintosh or Photoshop Elements 5.0 for Windows®. The latest versions of the Camera Raw plug-in available for previous Adobe software titles are listed below:

Macintosh
• Photoshop CS2: Camera Raw 3.7
• Photoshop Elements 3.0: Camera Raw 3.6

Windows
• Photoshop CS2: Camera Raw 3.7
• Photoshop Elements 4.0: Camera Raw 3.7
• Photoshop Elements 3.0: Camera Raw 3.6 "

It seems ACR 3.7. is the latest update for both CS2 and Elements 4

03-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Okay, I know Photoshop CS2 with Adobe Camera Raw 3.7 (ACR 3.7) does not support PEF files from the Pentax K20D, but what about Abobe's DNG file format? Can DNG files from the K20D be opened within ACR 3.7 without problems?

Adobe seems to be saying yes, in a vague sort of way. But, since their info is somewhat vague and I want no surprises when it comes to the potential cost of buying a K20D, I'd really like to hear from those who have actually tried this successfully.

Thanks in advance.

stewart
Stewart,

You can open and convert native K20D DNG files with CS2/ACR 3.7. Works well for most images, but there are some WB issues (described in threads in this and other fora).

Converting K20D PEFs to DNGs with either PPL or Adobe DNG Converter 4.4 seems to work OK with CS2/ACR 3.7

dave
03-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
(snip) Wouldn't that add ACR4.4 support to Photoshop CS2?

Just an idea...

As PePe said, later versions of ACR are not compatible with Photoshop CS2. Photoshop CS3 was introduced to work with Vista, making it incompatible with earlier versions of ACR. At the same time, ACR 4.0+ was introduced to work properly with Vista, making it incompatible with earlier versions of Photoshop. Camera Raw 3.7 is the very lastest version that will work with Photoshop CS2, but does not support PEF files from the K20D. This is why I asked about the DNG format files.

stewart
03-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would say you'll see the WB problems. They're shipping this new 4.4 profile to fix it. ...(snip)...
QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
... but there are some WB issues (described in threads in this and other fora). ...(snip)...

Can either of you elaborate on this WB issue? I searched using variations of ACR and WB, but nothing seemingly related to this jumped out of the massive flood of results.

stewart
03-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can either of you elaborate on this WB issue? I searched using variations of ACR and WB, but nothing seemingly related to this jumped out of the massive flood of results.

stewart
Stewart,

There is info about the issue in these threads:

K20D dng files with Adobe Camera Raw??: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/21643-k20d-vs-silky-pix-vs-acr.html

dave

03-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

stewart
I think it all goes back to Thomas Knoll's post in Adobe forum thread Adobe Forums - ACR update for Pentax K20d .

The fix in 4.4 is a corresponding profile for the K20D. Maybe, you can find and install this color profile in 3.7 as well. ACR 4.4 was withdrawn by Adobe. Otherwise, I would send you a profile when you tell me where to find it.

EDIT... dave was faster
03-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to both of you. Well, since Adobe is not adding any new cameras to ACR 3.7 (nor apparently fixing DNG in that version), it looks like an Adobe Photoshop CS3 Upgrade ($200±) will have to be added to the cost of the K20D.

stewart