Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have found now that increasing the cache size from the default of 1 to 10 helps and to use the make 1:1 rendering also helps I increased my ram to 16 PC , specs in a previous post, which also helped a lot.
I was told that sharpening and second screen use are the two biggest culprits as well.

Smeggy pants thank you for reminding me of that it does seem to help, what I did read some where iis that the adobe engineers assume your work flow in developer mode will start at the top with crop and spot removal and so on then go down through each slider and section from top to bottom, which as you say will mean sharpening and lens correction last or nearly last.

08-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #17
Forum Member

I got an i5 macbook air with 4gb ram. Is it going to die using lightroom??
08-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Tip: Apply sharpening and NR last. These two are the biggest factors in slowing down editing in the develop module. if you have already applied these then temporarily turn the sub module off while adjusting other stuff.
In my case, I have custom-developed presets, so as soon as I start processing, I'm applying presets, then making my adjustments (which I'm guessing most people do anyhow). So they include the corrections, sharpness, and some NR at points, since I'm shooting at fairly consistent ISO levels. So this helps little. It's still taking forever and I'm shocked to see other people on LR4 with higher powered computers than mine running into slowdowns, too.

I've seen a hack somewhere that requires 8gb or RAM, minimum to work, but I haven't tried it yet. It's an interesting hack to get LR4 to speed up.
08-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

8gb of ram is no guarantee look at my pc specs in a post on the first page of this thread

08-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
8gb of ram is no guarantee look at my pc specs in a post on the first page of this thread
I didn't say that. I said that 8gb of RAM is required for the hack to work. I think it was posted on DPR.
08-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I didn't say that. I said that 8gb of RAM is required for the hack to work. I think it was posted on DPR.
apologies misread your post, what was the hack any idea?
08-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
apologies misread your post, what was the hack any idea?
I can't remember exactly. I requires I don't know, reassigning some directories and some. I remember it being an involved process, not the usual "make sure your drives are clean, defragged, etc".

There's a video on YT, but I'm not sure if that's it. I'm not on DPR, so if anyone can bring it up, try it. It might have even been in the Pentax forum, but don't quote me.

08-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

found this https://www.slrlounge.com/school/boost-lightroom-4-performance-by-hacking-th...low-system-dvd

going to watch and see what its about
08-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
Banned

Don't think that was the method I've seen, but I like it. Will use it and hope...

my major issue is still at the NR stage and often, when using presets, the preset becomes highlighted, but nothing happens.
08-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

yes I have just done their hack at the same time as watching the move did not realize I could work that fast!!

their work flow dvd sound interesting I wonder what it might teach me I do not already know?
08-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #26
Banned

On my end, it's faster, but not greatly so. I'll take anything I can get at this point.

Here's the hack I talked about: Speeding Up Lightroom 4: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
I've moved Lightroom's Catalog and Cache to a RAM drive and it's made a world of difference. That, combined with a couple workflow ideas, and version 4 is finally usable. I'm aware that an SSD can do the same thing, but this way is free. If this has been discussed before, my apologies. If not, I've created a webpage describing exactly how to do it, including where to find a free RAM drive.
Looking Glass Photography, Gaylord, Michigan - Wedding Photography - Senior Pictures - Special Events
Hope this helps. It sure has cut down on the number of potty words I've been known to mutter over this issue.
08-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I read the looking glass link in the above post and down loaded the free 4 gig ram drive software but I am a bit unsure he talks about assigning a letter to the drive calling r drive and I don't see how he did that?
Also if you go to my computer is this ram drive supposed to show as a drive ?
It seems to create a zip file in c drive is that correct ?
Edit
Found this which answers my questions http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ult...160#post442160

Ignore the instructions about IE and FF ( unless you want to do this) then follow the looking glass link instructions
http://www.l-g-photography.com/Pentax/SpeedLightroom.php

edit 2 no matter what method of installation I try I cannot see the ram drive in my other drives do not understand why if I do what the instruction above say I should have a drive to format but disc managment does not report a new drive or show a drive that is new , giving up and uninstalling ramdrive.

Last edited by adwb; 08-19-2013 at 01:28 AM.
08-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyXD Quote
I got an i5 macbook air with 4gb ram. Is it going to die using lightroom??
No, it should run OK. I run LR4 on a very marginal HP laptop with an Athlon X2 and 4GB ram. It will run slower on laptops due to the slower hard drives. You probably have a flash drive which is quite fast but remember that file sizes of RAW photos are large so investing in an external HD is a must.
08-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
In my case, I have custom-developed presets, so as soon as I start processing, I'm applying presets, then making my adjustments (which I'm guessing most people do anyhow). So they include the corrections, sharpness, and some NR at points, since I'm shooting at fairly consistent ISO levels. So this helps little. It's still taking forever and I'm shocked to see other people on LR4 with higher powered computers than mine running into slowdowns, too.
Yes I use lots of custom develop presets too that I add at the start of the develop phase, but none of them contain sharpness or Noise reduction ( or CA removal ).

try temporarily turning off sharpness/NR/CA on one of your images and see how much mroe responsive the other sliders are.

QuoteQuote:
I've seen a hack somewhere that requires 8gb or RAM, minimum to work, but I haven't tried it yet. It's an interesting hack to get LR4 to speed up.
If you mean the one listed aboev which requires putting the catalogue on the Ram Drive, then I would enver do that. You ahve to remember to copy teh catalogue back to regular drive at shutdown or if the computer crashes you've lost your work. I do have caches on a RAM Drive though
08-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Yes I use lots of custom develop presets too that I add at the start of the develop phase, but none of them contain sharpness or Noise reduction ( or CA removal ).

try temporarily turning off sharpness/NR/CA on one of your images and see how much mroe responsive the other sliders are.

If you mean the one listed aboev which requires putting the catalogue on the Ram Drive, then I would enver do that. You ahve to remember to copy teh catalogue back to regular drive at shutdown or if the computer crashes you've lost your work. I do have caches on a RAM Drive though
I have them without that, then I'm stuck with going down to NR (sharpness doesn't bother me), selecting luminance, waiting 5-10 seconds while it pins the CPU, sometimes locking up, sends the fan into warp drive, then I have to do it again for chroma. I have a baseline that I can adjust from.

The suggestion is not helpful because it brings us all back to where we're all starting out from.

Not to mention, when I do concert shots, I have series that are all similarly shot, similar amounts of noise, so I might have 200 shots that I have to simply copy an established adjustment table from one shot across all or most of the rest.

So the advice most are giving so far seems to not take into account workflow, which is the advantage of LR for people that work using photography. It's working counter to efficiency.