Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NoMaD_PS Quote
And now here's my opinion about the shot. I'm sorry in advance because you won't like it. The shot is not good. It's underexposed, it lacks light, lacks plot, I can't say anything about composition - it's just a 'headshot'.

As for me, the makeup shooting needs more lighting, especially direct artificial lighting. One of the best is one from beauty-dish, then reflective umbrella, flash. At least softbox. Then, you shoot @ 800 ISO, 1/125 shutter. I think it's possible to use 400 ISO with 1/60 with shake reduction. And there a lot of 'more'.

Best,
Alex.
I don't think you read the original post very carefully. This shot was taken at an outdoor event and not in a studio. Also, he never claimed he was shooting it for more than just his pleasure. This is a great picture to learn post processing on, as there is a lot of things you can play with to improve it (See all the variations posted in this thread).

Tim

08-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
One question though. When you are processing, do you scale your image before or after the processing.
I mean having a larger file means you have more information to work with. But from the videos that I have seen on youtube people always seem to use smaller files.

Also does this affect the radius size of applied filters. For example when choosing a blur filter.
Like GUB said, downsizing an image is the 2nd to last thing I do only before I upload an image to the web. The last step is sharpening (Usually USM with a radius of 1 or 0.75). For an image I plan on printing, my last step is still sharpening. However, this sharpening step is with different settings than for the web and can vary from picture to picture.

Also, I don't even crop my images before I work on them unless I know for certain I won 't need more than one crop ratio. If I need more than one, I'll save my image as a tiff or a PaintShop Pro image (non destructive) before cropping so I can re-open the image and then sharpen after cropping.

For cleaning up the skin, this tutorial shows how to use the healing brush, Gaussian blur, and a few other tricks. Since he uses Photoshop, you will need to play around to see which steps can be done in Gimp but I think this is 100% doable in Gimp.

http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=54

Tim
08-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I don't think you read the original post very carefully. This shot was taken at an outdoor event and not in a studio. Also, he never claimed he was shooting it for more than just his pleasure. This is a great picture to learn post processing on, as there is a lot of things you can play with to improve it (See all the variations posted in this thread).

Tim
Hi, Tim.

I do read the thread. Taking shot outdoors is not an excuse for underexposing the photo, I think. I've shown what can be done with the original RAW-file. I also gave advice of how to shoot makeups. Additional light is good nevertheless you shoot for pleasure or not. Btw, it's very interesting thing about pleasure. Imagine - I'm coming to you and say: Hi, Tim! Taste the cookies I've backed today. You're tasting and the cookie is bad. It's a great cookie you say. It's a good cookie to play with, you say. You can add ketchup, mayo, salt, sugar and hold it on the stick over the fire. Anyway you've made the cookie for own pleasure you say. Nope, the cookie isn't good. And it won't be good even if you put black caviar on it. Unless your boss had backed the cookie

I mean it's to use other settings before change it in processing programs. It's better to learn how to shoot before learning how to process. And it's very hard to shoot certain things without additional instruments.

Please don't take this personally.

Best,
Alex.
08-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #49
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Na I am with atupdate on this. For a grab shot this picture is good and it is debatable whether it is badly underexposed. A little low contrast probably. It is a good challenge to get the best out of the image. For me the focal of the image was her right eye to the sequins. Her left eye is soft and so best left unemphasized. And it is the same for all photos - they all have strong and weak points-- PP s job is to get the best out of what you have given yourself.

By Wildman
"The most time I always seem to spend when PP is at the very beginning just looking at the unprocessed file and trying to decide what I want to do with it. Without some idea of what you are trying to convey to the viewer you are dead in the water from the very beginning.

In this case the issue was clearly one of subjective artistic intent rather than technical issues.
"

Right on Wildman

10-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So I have been spending time trying to improve my processing skills.

Just want to share a little of what I have been doing so far. All comments are welcomed. The model is my sister.