Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can new Windows 8 desktop be loaded with Windows 7?

Can it be done without deleting 8? Thinking of a new desktop but can't stand 8. Wish I had bought a new desktop sooner. Didn't realize how much I would hate 8.
thanks
barondla

08-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have not used a windows 8 machine yet. But I am pretty sure you can create a dual boot by just installing windows 7 on a second partition.

You can create the partition before you boot the windows 7 cd. In my opinion that is less complicated.

Or you can just insert the windows 7 cd and it will walk you through creating a new partition and a new installation.
08-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I have not used a windows 8 machine yet. But I am pretty sure you can create a dual boot by just installing windows 7 on a second partition.

You can create the partition before you boot the windows 7 cd. In my opinion that is less complicated.

Or you can just insert the windows 7 cd and it will walk you through creating a new partition and a new installation.
From what I understand the BIOS in new Win8 machines are WIN8 specific and can create a problem when trying to install WIN7 if you don't know what you are doing. But others here may be able to shed some light on this.

The computer store in my neighborhood where I buy all my stuff from says he gets about 5 to eight requests from people to downgrade WIN8 machine to WIN 7 and people had a lot of problems doing it themselves.

Greetings
08-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you're talking about putting the Windows 7 interface on 8, the answer is no. There are 3rd party applications that put the start button back, but they won't prevent the OS from randomly jumping into the tablet interface for certain functions.

I bought it when it first came out, since it was only $40 at the time. I've learned to get around or live with the various inconveniences Microsoft incorporated into the new version. There are quite a few little benefits that nobody ever talks about, too, like a much improved task manager, far faster boot times, and generally better use of hardware resources, to name a few.

Windows 8.1 will be released in October as a free upgrade to anyone with 8. It's supposed to fix a lot of the things people don't like about 8, like the inability to boot to desktop.

08-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Win 8.1 will be out soon and the Start button will come back with that update. I ended up with Win8 on a new machine and certain things give me the irrits big time, but can't be bothered to go through the hassle of reformatting and installing Win 7 (and the vendor refused to provide a Win 7 disk, so I'd need to be a little inventive anyway if I went that way). It's frustrating simply turning the machine off via screen commands - how many steps Mr Microsoft?. Fortunately my keyboard has a Sleep button on it, so I just rely on that. No idea what the MS product team were smoking when parts of the Win 8 interface was signed off. Must have been some powerful stuff!
08-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
No idea what the MS product team were smoking when parts of the Win 8 interface was signed off. Must have been some powerful stuff!
They were smoking Surface tablets, and drooling over Apple's profit margins. "It will all be ours," they said, "if we make our desktop look like a tablet."

Silly Microsoft.
08-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers. Didn't mean making W8 work like 7. Considering using computer like a w7 one. Only leaving W8 on in case something goes wrong or MS finally fixes 8.

All the W8 improvements in speed are lost with me using it. It takes me forever to do anything in W8. I would rather use the slower W7 and know the task will eventually get done than use faster 8 and never figure out what I am doing. If I were going to invest so much time to learn W8, would probably invest in Apple instead.

thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 08-19-2013 at 07:52 AM.
08-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, you absolutely can by creating a second partition BEFORE you install it. I've done it (I actually set up a triple boot system for development with Linux, Win 7, and Win 8). There are instructions out there for doing it, but yes, I know from experience that it can be done.
08-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Why not just buy or build a Win 7 computer? You can always buy V.8 later if you choose. Newegg still has lots of Windows 7 computers listed for sale.