Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Proper way to store backup hard drives?

I keep all my pics on external hard drives. How do you store full hard drives? Padded cases to keep things safe and dust out? In the original retail cardboard box it came in? Already figured out that the wall wart ac adapter also has to stay with the hard drive.

One hard drive will be transported from home to work and back on a monthly basis. This is my backup against total home disaster. Any tips?
thanks
barondla

08-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd probably throw some silica gel packs in there too. But personally I prefer online backup option because carrying physical HDD back and forth and keeping it updated is pain in the butt. I use Crash Plan to backup all my raws, important documents, etc.
08-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I using Time Capsule on multiple drives and like you some are stored off site.
08-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Make sure the drives get spun-up for at least 30 minutes once a month and that they are replaced at least every 5 years.