Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aperture Trouble

Any Aperture users out there? Last night I was updating my vault when the computer told me that my external drive had been disconnected - a USB port gone bad apparently. I've tried restoring and rebuilding the database but to no avail. I can launch Aperture, but the beach ball can rotate for many minutes if I try to do any operations. Some projects appear to be intact - I can eventually open them and see the thumbnails, and then double click and view the full image. For other projects though (seemingly randomly distributed ones), it can take 10-15 minutes to open the project window, but the reference image has been lost - I can't double click the thumbnail - and Aperture will eventually crash. I haven't tried to restore from my vault yet. To do so will destroy 3 days worth of shooting in Wyoming last week. And that's assuming my vault is still OK, since the error happened while I was updating it. Any ideas?

08-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just one question. Have you tried asking in the Aperture Support Community? Because you are much more likely to get an answer there...

https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/aperture
08-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just one question. Have you tried asking in the Aperture Support Community? Because you are much more likely to get an answer there...

https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/aperture
Yes, I did look on that site. A number of people with the same or similar problems had posted there. Unfortunately, none of the replies were useful.
08-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

try repair/rebuild data base Press and hold the Option and Command keys as you start Aperture
Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

08-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
try repair/rebuild data base Press and hold the Option and Command keys as you start Aperture
Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics
I did try this, both repair and rebuild, twice each. But no help. Sorry, I should have mentioned that!
08-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ok, there are anotere way. Make a new library, than go to aperture and try export from library choose old one. If this dosent work in finder right click(or Ctrl click) on aperture library file, chose show package contence, than copy all files from there.
Vault is good option too.
Good luck
08-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Ok, there are anotere way. Make a new library, than go to aperture and try export from library choose old one. If this dosent work in finder right click(or Ctrl click) on aperture library file, chose show package contence, than copy all files from there.
Vault is good option too.
Good luck
I was going to try that next. But first I tried this:

Copy the old library from the external drive to my PC. Then double click to launch the new copied file. This worked! So I didn't try your suggestion, hope I never need to! Thanks for your help.

08-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You are welcome (:
I glad your troubles are over (: