Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
... with LR
Exactly why I uninstalled it and went back to my old, less integrated but very effective and comfortable work flow.

09-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #47
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Lightroom isn't for everyone and as I said before here, there isn't the only car manufacturer, just get something that works for you.
09-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Some of the answers I got stated my problem more clearly yhan I did.

LR does take control of what I do with my photos. If I move files while not in LR it becomes very upset and sulks and stops working with that file. Then I need to re-import. I do not copy. I use it in the folders that I download into, but the fact is that if you use LR's editing facilities, it is difficult to do any moving of files ( my own organizing way ) outside of LR. The big advantage is the catalogues, but I do not want to use that. Just edit my file, leave it where it was and leave me alone.

I have done my learning curve on LR and its editing is wonderful. I will try some of the others that use the computer's filing

Thanks for all the replies and as I said before, the depth of knowledge and willingness to share in this forum is amazing!

"the fact is that if you use LR's editing facilities, it is difficult to do any moving of files ( my own organizing way ) outside of LR" No it's not difficult, just move the files within Lightroom it's very easy and just the same as doing it in epxlorer. Just select them and drag to your desired new location?

And NO you do NOT have to re-import if you move files outside of Lightroom. You just tell Lightroom where the new location is.

so NO Lightroom does NOT take control of what you do with your photos
09-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I began again to try to learn Lightroom 4 in earnest last night due to my pro photographer cousin who insists that I shoot RAW. So I went in and could not believe how much detail could be recovered from an overexposed photo taken in RAW. Wow!

09-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Exactly why I uninstalled it and went back to my old, less integrated but very effective and comfortable work flow.
I'm certainly not going to uninstall it after paying for it, but I am finding it less than satisfactory so far. I'll keep reading about it, watching YouTube videos, and attempting to make it work for me for a while yet and maybe wind up in the long run have it gathering virtual cobwebs.
09-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Some of the answers I got stated my problem more clearly yhan I did.

LR does take control of what I do with my photos. If I move files while not in LR it becomes very upset and sulks and stops working with that file. Then I need to re-import.
AActually you do not need to re-import. If you move a file outside of LR, or even a whole folder. You will see a question mark with that file or folder. if you click right on your mouse you will see the option : search for missing file/map. if you click on it, explorer will open and you can point LR to wghere you have moved the file or map.
09-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #52
Forum Member

I've discussed my cataloging method with Basie as we both agree about LR file handling, but thought I'd share with you guys.

I actually create a NEW catalogue ("library" for us Aperture users) for every photo shoot and store the catalogue file within the folder that I store my original files. I also don't copy, so if I move the folder, LR doesn't get fussy. That way if I lose one catalogue, it isn't the end of my archived world.

The disadvantage of this is method is that you can't be as strategic with keywords (if you even use them) and you have to open individual catalogues for whatever you want to look at. But, my friend overcomes this by merging the individual catalogue with a "master" catalogue he keeps for reference purposes only. It seems to work like a charm but I haven't tried it yet myself.

10-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChainbreakR Quote
I've discussed my cataloging method with Basie as we both agree about LR file handling, but thought I'd share with you guys.

I actually create a NEW catalogue ("library" for us Aperture users) for every photo shoot and store the catalogue file within the folder that I store my original files. I also don't copy, so if I move the folder, LR doesn't get fussy. That way if I lose one catalogue, it isn't the end of my archived world.

The disadvantage of this is method is that you can't be as strategic with keywords (if you even use them) and you have to open individual catalogues for whatever you want to look at. But, my friend overcomes this by merging the individual catalogue with a "master" catalogue he keeps for reference purposes only. It seems to work like a charm but I haven't tried it yet myself.

I create new MASTER catalogue for editing every 4 months. however I export everything not deleted as a 1600x1200(max) jpg into a mirror folder structure and that's imported into a big FINALS catalogue, where I do keywording, rating and GPSing, plus smart collections for all kinds of subjects. This works great for me.

Once again Lightroom does not take control of where you put your photos.
10-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I create new MASTER catalogue for editing every 4 months. however I export everything not deleted as a 1600x1200(max) jpg into a mirror folder structure and that's imported into a big FINALS catalogue, where I do keywording, rating and GPSing, plus smart collections for all kinds of subjects. This works great for me.

Once again Lightroom does not take control of where you put your photos.
Smeggy - How does this help you locate an original file if you want to re-edit an image?
10-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smeggy - How does this help you locate an original file if you want to re-edit an image?
Though I'm not Smeggy, I'll answer this one: you simply select your image in Lightroom and right-click. One choice you are given is "Show in Finder" for Macs or "Show in Explorer" for Windows. Your original appears in the file listing for either of those two applications.

I do agree that LIghtroom doesn't impose any specific file structure upon the user. I maintain my own Finder-based file structure, but rely heavily upon building collections in Lightroom as a functional way to structure access to my 130,000 images. It's been meeting my needs since version 1.

M
10-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I keep two identical file structures for the original images and the exported version so they are easy to find. I simply open up the MASTERS Catalogue of the image I want to re-edit and edit it and export.

For multiple selected images I also wrote a nifty plugin routine for lightroom that saves the filenames of selected images across catalogues.
10-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
"the fact is that if you use LR's editing facilities, it is difficult to do any moving of files ( my own organizing way ) outside of LR" No it's not difficult, just move the files within Lightroom it's very easy and just the same as doing it in epxlorer. Just select them and drag to your desired new location?

And NO you do NOT have to re-import if you move files outside of Lightroom. You just tell Lightroom where the new location is.

so NO Lightroom does NOT take control of what you do with your photos
But if you create new files outside of LR, then you do have to reimport in order for them to appear in the catalog. Think TIFFs and JPEGs from other raw convertors or Photoshop.

Rob
10-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
But if you create new files outside of LR, then you do have to reimport in order for them to appear in the catalog. Think TIFFs and JPEGs from other raw convertors or Photoshop.

Rob
that doesn't make any sense.

A new file is a new file. How can you "reimport" something that was never imported in LIghtroom previously?