Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Silkypix, Bibble Pro, or something else?

What RAW developer do you use? I know there are a bunch out there and I know Photoshop comes with ACR. This question is really aimed at those using something other than ACR/Photoshop. What do you use and why do you like it better than what else is available?

03-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I use Capture One 4.

It is a great little program, it is simple to use, and does a great job in my opinion. There are only two areas in my book where it falls down;

1) No jpg editing
2) The sharpemning is not that great

Other than that, and after trying Bibble and SilkyPix, I like Capture One the best of the three.

D

PS, I have Bibble lite as well mainly for using the Shadow/Highlight recovery on jpg and an exposure feature (perfectly clear) which can work well at times.

D
03-26-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I'll give you my opinion. I started out with Bibble Pro. Interface was kind of hard to learn, and the promised update to version 5.0 is over a year late. Would have kept with it even with that, but I started seeing strange artifacts in hair and water. Other Pentax users noticed it as well, and Bibble basically said there was nothing they could do. I switched to Lightroom and have been very happy with it. Great tools to catagorize images and the same RAW conversion as PS. Being the curious sort of person (not good for my wallet), I just downloaded Lightzone. I really think I like this the best. Very easy (and intuitive) to work with and very strong. It supports layers in a way that makes it easy to learn and use. As all of these programs offer free trial periods, I suggest you download them yourself and give them a spin. As always, YMMV.
03-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #4

I use Raw Therapee.
It's free.
It has excellent image quality (according to some comparisons I found + my own experience)
It is reasonably fast (once it is properly configured)
Did I already mention it is free ?
Anyway the user interface is apparently not for everyone.
But do try it.

03-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What's wrong with Lightroom?
03-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
What's wrong with Lightroom?
The price for starters, and it has no layers.

I use five (5) products. Of them all, I think I could live with only DxO and Elements 6 if I had to. I would have saved several hundred dollars if I had figured this out before buying the software.
  1. DxO is only really useful if you have a K10D and any one or more of the two kit lenses, DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135. It does all the hard work for you. $100.
  2. I started with Lightroom for $300. It has a very nice working face, and the organizer and sorter is top notch. Because I started with it, I have enough photos in the thing that it would be a pain to move everything to another program. However, if someone came up and said that I would have to remove one of my four programs, this is the one I would miss least.
  3. Pentax software cost me over $3,000, but included a camera and three lenses. SilkyPix, the editor, has good ratings, and the browser seems ok.
  4. I have also Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 which includes layers. $100. This is the only program I own that has layers. When you need them, you need them. It has an organizer which is quite good, although not as super duper as Lightroom's.
  5. Photomatix free subset. It does HDR, and quite easily. I don't do HDR all that often, and it can be simulated using Elements 6 and layers.
03-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I use RAW Developer (Mac only I'm afraid) as my main RAW converter and then GraphicConverter (also Mac only, sorry), FDRTools, and NoiseNinja as necessary. Looking in to getting Photoshop or LightZone if I end up upgrading my computer.
03-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm using digiKam for organization, LightZone (free linux beta) for editing and do all my "batch" work from the linux shell with ImageMagick, dcraw & netPBM. I'm a bit biased in my choices because I run Linux OS so things that run native score higher automatically and if they won't run under Wine or VM then they get equally bad marks.

- I tried Bibble Lite and didn't like the interface, same for RawTherapee though I'm still giving it a chance as it does do a good job with RAW processing.
- Downloaded trials for PhotoImpact X3 and PSP X2. Both were uber slow and tended to crash for no reason on my dual-core 4GB machine under XP.
- GIMP is too heavy for me but it's on my machine if I need it.
- Photoshop et.al. is both too big and too expensive.
- Lightroom looks awesome but I can buy another lens for the price of that. If I ever start selling prints, etc. I might re-consider because it is damn sexy.

I kind of burned out on testing software before I got to give Capture One a try but I still may try that over the weekend since it does have HDR support and that looks like fun to experiment with.

03-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
What RAW developer do you use? I know there are a bunch out there and I know Photoshop comes with ACR. This question is really aimed at those using something other than ACR/Photoshop. What do you use and why do you like it better than what else is available?
I have tried BibblePro for BW conversions of some noisy shots (ISO800-1600) and I liked
what I am getting using Noise Ninja & Andy plugins there in terms of time spent per processing to get a decent result... but the resulting output (16bpp .TIFF) I finish in Photoshop.
03-28-2008, 05:45 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Hey all. A couple of you have mentioned lightroom be expensive...I fully agree. However, if any of you have kids (or are in school), you can buy through their educational store for just under a 100.00. My daughter is in high school and that's how I got my copy, very easy to do!
03-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by kpfeifle Quote
Hey all. A couple of you have mentioned lightroom be expensive...I fully agree. However, if any of you have kids (or are in school), you can buy through their educational store for just under a 100.00. My daughter is in high school and that's how I got my copy, very easy to do!
Offcourse that only counts for people in certain countries I guess (since I think Adobe doesn't offer educational license to people here in Belgium, at least not in High School AFAIK).

That no problem for me since I don't have kids in school and I doubt taking a course on digital Photography after hours is supported by their educational license.
03-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Bibble Lite, and I'm reasonably happy with it. Some have reported some artifacts, but i haven't had that problem. The plugins available for it are quite powerful.

Price was one of the big drivers for me. Tried a demo of the beta of LR (even though it was expensive) and it was so slow on my system, it was eliminated quickly. I used the Silkypix offering, worked ok, but more than what I wanted to pay.

Bibble works for me, you mileage may vary.
04-01-2008, 06:39 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Silkypix is my favourite. Have used the free version for sometime and have finaly put up for a flicenced version.
04-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I choose Raw Therapee. It is essentially free (donationware) and I liked it better than the SilkyPix and Bibble that I tried. I also tried the UFRaw + Gimp combo, which is also free, but I didn't like its feature set.

Raw Therapee has a nice user interface. The biggest flaw at the moment is its lack of batch processing, but that is in the works.

I avoided Lightroom because of costs. I am a hobbyist, and $300 for a raw processor (I already use IMatch for image management and cataloging) just wasn't worth it.

I am also strongly considering shifting to Linux and Raw Therapee works in Linux.

I do think I will re-evaluate Bibble once they go to 5.0 as they do have some nice features, but I'll wait and see.
04-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #15

I am going to keep my secret. I wont tell you why SilkyPix has been my favourite since I tried the free version.

Bob