Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nEO Imaging: A very good Photoshop alternative

Found a very good and very affordable alternative to Photoshop developed from China called
nEO Imaging.

The range of stuff that can be done and the ease of use is pretty amazing. Can certainly give Photoshop or Elements a good challenge. Tried it and frankly I'm pretty impressed.

Range of effects: nEO iMAGING Function Demo
Slide Film Effect, Auto Exposure, Sunset Render, Old Photo,
B&W Effect, Cross Processing Effect, HDR Negative Effect, Night Noise Reduction,
White Balance Fix, CCD Hot/Dead Pix Tool, Compare & Normal Mode, Levels And Curve,
Skin Yellow Reduction, Water Mark, Frames Mask Frame,
Highlight Reduction, Anti Distortion, ID Photo Layout, Combined Photo,
Noise Reduction, Soft Focus Lens, Bracket Exposure, Extreme W/B Fix,
Flower Red Reducer, Beautician, IE Magic Photo, Red Eye Reduction,
Studio Style

More info and download here:
English nEO-iMAGING.NET

Chinese ¹âӰħÊõÊÖ¡£

Last edited by creampuff; 03-26-2008 at 09:01 AM.
03-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I presume it can handle raw files as well? I took a quick look only at the website - under $30?
03-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
I presume it can handle raw files as well? I took a quick look only at the website - under $30?
Yes it handles RAW files too.
About nEO iMAGING

Support more than 30 common graphic formats including PSD, GIF, JPG, PNG, PCX, TIF. It also supports camera raw formats from more than 10 popular Camera models from Nikon, Canon, Konica Minolta, Fuji, Sigma, Pentax, Olympus
03-28-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A question

Is it 16 bit? (Couldn't find this mentioned on the site).
The Gimp and FastStone do more or less everything NeoImaging is doing for free; "at 8 bit", of course...

03-28-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
Is it 16 bit? (Couldn't find this mentioned on the site).
The Gimp and FastStone do more or less everything NeoImaging is doing for free; "at 8 bit", of course...
Though Gimp and FastStone are freeware, I believe they have no support for RAW files.
NeoImaging's tools are pretty intiutive and easy to use. Don't know if NeoImaging is 16 bit but if it can handle RAW files, it certainly will output better quality images. It's cheap and the program size isn't big.
03-28-2008, 05:18 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Though Gimp and FastStone are freeware, I believe they have no support for RAW files.
The Gimp is NOT freeware it's licensed under the GPL which is a totally diffrent license Offcourse most people will claim it's freeware since it's free software (as in gratis) but there are more the 10 diffrent licenses that all deliver free software but they are all diffrent (the FSF even claims there is a huge difference between Free Software and Open Source Software).

Anyways, it has nothing to do with the discussion so I'm gonna shut up, BUT the Gimp DOES support RAW files (you need to install ufraw or dcraw to add support for them though).

oh, I think dcraw is only available on Linux since I only see ufraw beeing used by windows users who use the Gimp to do their RAW editing.

Also the people from the Gimp project are working on 16-bit support (don't know how long it will take, the other version of the Gimp for video editing already has 16-bit support for a while now).
03-28-2008, 05:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Patrick for the clarification. I don't use Gimp, being a Photoshop and Lightroom user.

03-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #8

I don't use Gimp, being a Photoshop and Lightroom user.
same here unfortunatly !

I'm a huge supporter and fan of the Debian GNU/Linux O/S but I was never able to get any good with the Gimp (not that I'm good with Photoshop ) so now I'm basically forced to be using Lightroom and PSE6 on a Windows laptop.

I find lightroom pretty easy to use and PSE is good enough for most enhancements (except it doesn't seem to support Lab image mode).

I'm sure I can do the exact same on Debian with The Gimp, RAWTherapee (I think I need to upgrade from Stable to Testing for this one) and some other free tools aswell but it's not as intuetive as the Adobe tools (and unfortunatly they don't run on Linux).
03-28-2008, 06:26 AM   #9

I tried the latest version of nEOiMAGING and it would not handle my K10D's .pef files, at leat on my XP-Home system.
04-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

FastStone can handle Pentax raw file *.PEF .