Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ACDSee Pro 7

Any ACDSee Pro users around here?
I see there's a new version out (Pro 7). Anyone tried it yet?
Does offer anything that makes it worth upgrading from Pro 6?

10-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #2

Haven't checked out 7 yet. They have a few sales per year so you can wait if you're not in a hurry.
10-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've been an avid Acdsee user for many years and have kept current with all the upgrades. I will probably upgrade to Pro 7 eventually, but don't see the urgency looking at what is new compared to Pro 6.

What's New - ACDSee Pro 7 - Photo Editing, Photo Management, Photo Editor, Digital Photography, RAW, Digital Asset Management, DAM
10-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I've been an avid Acdsee user for many years and have kept current with all the upgrades. I will probably upgrade to Pro 7 eventually, but don't see the urgency looking at what is new compared to Pro 6.

What's New - ACDSee Pro 7 - Photo Editing, Photo Management, Photo Editor, Digital Photography, RAW, Digital Asset Management, DAM
That's kinda what I've been thinking. Pro 7 doesn't seem to add a lot.

10-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
How is the ACDSee in general? I see they have a "family pack" which gives you Pro 7 with a few other programs for $99 versus $199 for Pro 7 by itself. They also allow 3 users per product with the family pack. It also includes a free upgrade to Pro 8 when they eventually release it. Seems like a fantastic deal if the program is any good. Thoughts?
10-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #6

You can download a trial version. It's the full program minus the activation key.

I'm not sure about the other programs as I've never used them.

They will have sales throughout the year. I bought the previous version for nearly 60% off.
10-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm probably going to wait for the next upgrade. I now run Pro 6 and all of the editing functions added I always do in a Pixel Editor.

The 'Family Pack' is a good price for getting Pro 7. ACDSee 17 is an organizer without any editing. Video Converter I use and it's
'OK'. I also use a Program from Leowa that's faster. ACDSee Photo Editor 6 is a very basic editing program. I tried the editor and
it is way less than what I use currently.

10-11-2013, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought the family pack about a month ago. It included a free upgrade to Acdsee Pro 7 and Acdsee 17. I think it lets you install each of software 5 times. Anyway, it was a relative cheap way to upgrade from Acdsee Pro 6 and give everyone else tools.
As far as Acdsee Pro 7, I really can't tell much difference. The only thing I do like is having my exposure settings now on Develop screen. Before it was on the properties tab of the Manage screen. I've really wished they have added ability to use Photoshop plugins.
10-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #9
NKK
Inactive Account

I'm on ver6 too.
I think I will wait a little with upgrading as I don't see it as a major change either.
10-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #10
Forum Member

I'm also interested in the Family Pack, however I'm not sure it's a good investment.
More specifically, I asked ACDsee what's their policy for upgrading single licenses from the Family Pack to future versions (e.g. Pro 7 to Pro 8). They replied that they currently have no information about the upgrade policy... Disconcerting...

Moreover, a few days ago they closed their support forum at https://getsatisfaction.com/acdsystems
What's wrong?
10-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noou Quote
Moreover, a few days ago they closed their support forum at https://getsatisfaction.com/acdsystems
What's wrong?
Thankfully they started a new forum with a new format. It is accessible from their front page in the Community tab:

ACD Systems Forums - Forums
12-29-2013, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #12
NKK
Inactive Account

Just did the upgrade - smooth and no problems with db after the upgrade, everything came over fine.
First impresions is that its much faster to load and apply settings. Clone and Heal Tool in the develop modul (non destructive) is really cool and then i am happy to see the Linear Gradient Tool that i have been missing
Another small thing is the "info" pane that is added when you browse files were you fast and clearly see what rating, categories etc you have set on a pic, as well as basic Exif info.

So far happy with the upgrade ($59).