Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Free tool to correct barrel distortion?

Hi folks,

I've got a bunch of great pics taken with my 15 that are in desperate need of repair. Unfortunately, Pixelmator doesn't support barrel distortion correction yet, and my only computer is a Macbook Air with 2 GB RAM so I'm limited to what software I can use. Are there any online tools available that will do this, or am I up the creek?

10-07-2013, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GIMP should be able to do it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam. Installing now--hopefully it isn't too resource-intensive.
10-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
That lens is supported by the Lensfun library, so anything using it will be able to automatically correct distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration from that lens. Darktable is my preferred RAW processor and editor and it uses Lensfun.

If you like GIMP there is a Lensfun plugin for it as well.

10-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do some googling for "barrel distortion correction for GIMP" to get started. Your laptop should be fine. I was running Gimp for years with a single-core Athlon 64/2 gb ram with no problems, other than some slowness when working with big files.

Last edited by paulh; 10-07-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
10-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you shoot jpeg, you can enable in-camera lens correction. But when this feature is enabled, it will slow down the overall speed of taking photos, even if you shoot raw (because it will still correct the preview jpegs embedded in the raw)
10-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
That lens is supported by the Lensfun library, so anything using it will be able to automatically correct distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration from that lens. Darktable is my preferred RAW processor and editor and it uses Lensfun.

If you like GIMP there is a Lensfun plugin for it as well.
Much appreciated. I'm messing around with Darktable and I really like the GUI. However, I have no idea how to load the Lensfun library into Darktable. How did you go about it?

10-08-2013, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Much appreciated. I'm messing around with Darktable and I really like the GUI. However, I have no idea how to load the Lensfun library into Darktable. How did you go about it?
I have no experience with the OS X build, but it should be included already. Make sure Lens Corrections are enabled in the available modules and it should show up in the Correction Group, the 6th icon. It should automatically detect your camera lens from the EXIF data, if not you can select it.

EDIT: I just checked mine, the 15mm is not included in the latest release of Lensfun, even though it shows on the site. It is going to be in a future version, but you can still get it. Find a file called slr-pentax.xml, then replace it with the one I attached.
Attached Files
File Type: xml slr-pentax.xml (36.5 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by elliott; 10-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.