Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How to handle my photos?

I recently returned from vacation with 3-4K photos from my wife's and my K-30s. With a Mac, what is a good way to handle these photos? I'd like to collectively go through them all, adjust lighting (a lot of them are dark and I need to brighten them somehow), convert from png format to jpeg (I'd like to share the best with friends and family on Flickr) and delete the 80% of them that aren't so great. Is there a particular software I need to purchase for my Mac that can handle this well?

10-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
iPhoto

M
10-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
I recently returned from vacation with 3-4K photos from my wife's and my K-30s. With a Mac, what is a good way to handle these photos? I'd like to collectively go through them all, adjust lighting (a lot of them are dark and I need to brighten them somehow), convert from png format to jpeg (I'd like to share the best with friends and family on Flickr) and delete the 80% of them that aren't so great. Is there a particular software I need to purchase for my Mac that can handle this well?
iPhoto would do the job for you, it comes free with every Mac.
10-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean DNG format not png format?
Pentax Digital Camera Utility does good processing of DNGs to jpeg with an output that is similar to the in camera processing, with a bit better noise reduction.

I also much prefer Picasa for organising images on the mac, because you set your own folder structure in the finder. But that's just me, I like to see my photos in the finder, I don't want them all combined and hidden away the way iPhoto does. It makes copying them to a new computer or disk that much simpler.

10-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #5

Aperture is a fancier version of iPhoto and is freaking amazing. It's about $85 but does a lot more processing than iPhoto.