Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #1

Lens Data in JPGs within Lightroom?

The camera is a K30. My DNGs show correct lens data within Lightroom 4.4 (64 bit on a Mac if it matters); however the JPGs persist in showing the lens as unknown. This is true of the kit lens as well as several DA Limited lenses. Upgrading the firmware of my K30 from version 1.0 to 1.05 did not make any difference; the problem persists.

Any solution, or suggestions?

Thanks.

10-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem probably isn't with the files, but with lightroom. Have you gotten all the latest updates?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The problem probably isn't with the files, but with lightroom. Have you gotten all the latest updates?
Version 4.4 is the last version or update of Lightroom 4 and was updated earlier this year. I have not purchased version 5 and will not until I understand their new purchase/subscription model for Lightroom and Photoshop.
10-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by haziz Quote
Version 4.4 is the last version or update of Lightroom 4 and was updated earlier this year. I have not purchased version 5 and will not until I understand their new purchase/subscription model for Lightroom and Photoshop.
I'm not sure if LR5 fixes the problem, but I guess it might be worth testing out the trial version.

AFAIK Lightroom will still come in a boxed version, so the pricing model isn't changing (though you also get it thought adobe CC, I believe).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom 5 is still a retail product. CS 6 is too.

M
10-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Lightroom does not see if it even there anyway the lens data in jpegs only in raw of any type, just like you can't adjust white balance or colour profiles, sorry.
10-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Lightroom does not see if it even there anyway the lens data in jpegs only in raw of any type, just like you can't adjust white balance or colour profiles, sorry.
Nonsense.
I'm currently looking at five figures of jpeg files in LR 4.4; each of them details lens data by specific make or type.

M

10-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

whoa, there.

are you talking about the data shown if you press the I button or or on developer mode being able to correct lens data by using lens profiles?

I assumed the OP was talking about actually being able to correct using lens profiles in develop mode not just a simple screen display. in which case I am correct.
10-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

i am running Lightroom 4.4 and can see the lens info in JPGs OK:

dave k
10-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

in develop mode no jpeg embeded profile data and in raw with data allowing conversion if required
Attached Images

10-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I assumed the OP was talking about actually being able to correct using lens profiles in develop mode not just a simple screen display. in which case I am correct.
I can only go on what the OP posted:
QuoteQuote:
My DNGs show correct lens data within Lightroom 4.4 (64 bit on a Mac if it matters); however the JPGs persist in showing the lens as unknown.
I interpret this to mean seeing a readout of what specific lens was used in the shot. If he intends this to mean "lens correction data" instead of "correct lens data" then so be it. But if that's the case one can have lens corrections occur with jpeg files if you have added in custom lens profiles as I have done. The capability is there if one understands how Lightroom works.

M
10-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #12

Original Poster
I am just looking for the ability to search by lens metadata and to display it. I can do it with DNGs but not with JPGs. I am not trying to do lens corrections.
10-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am just looking for the ability to search by lens metadata and to display it. I can do it with DNGs but not with JPGs. I am not trying to do lens corrections.
Thanks for the clarification. Adam's initial advice still holds--you need a newer version of LR that includes your newer camera information. That said, it feels like a ripoff. Could you make a small jpeg file available for others (like me) to test for you?
Thanks,

M
10-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
--you need a newer version of LR that includes your newer camera information. That said, it feels like a ripoff. Could you make a small jpeg file available for others (like me) to test for you?
Thanks,M
LR 4.4 will do this, ( the screen print in my previous post is of LR 4.4).

As per your suggestion, it would be good to see if the data has actually made it to the JPG..

dave k
10-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
LR 4.4 will do this, ( the screen print in my previous post is of LR 4.4).

As per your suggestion, it would be good to see if the data has actually made it to the JPG..

dave k
Your screen print reflects a K-5. My hunch is that the newer K-30 needs a newer version of ACR to read the lens data to the level of detail needed by the OP.

M