Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mac Pro - who's getting one?

Mac Pro - Buy Mac Pro Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

10-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Am I the only one who sees them rolling around screaming EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE
10-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They look like state-of-the-art computers. But the specs really seem oriented towards video production and architectural modeling which is beyond my requirements. While I think the cost of the base Mac Pro is fairly reasonable, the gobs of Thunderbolt storage will drive the cost upwards quickly. Larger motion-based studios can afford this, but photo based ad agencies (where I worked last year) were already replacing their older Mac Pros with iMacs and new servers.

Anyway, I replaced my 2006 Mac Pro last year with a Hackintosh I built and outfitted with nine hard drives and a high performance i7 upgradeable processor. Used a quiet case as well. While the industrial engineering was oceans away from any Apple product, the performance and reliability has served me quite well. All for under $2000. That's good enough for me.

M
10-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm fine with my 2010 6-core Mac Pro... no need to upgrade the whole machine... just looking to get a new GPU one day...

10-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Am I the only one who sees them rolling around screaming EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE

10-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE
Agree with exterminate - We had a mac and it was a bleeding disaster. Could have resulted in a divorce. My wife still can't find her files.
10-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Not me.

I used Macs on and off for work and personal stuff between 1996 and 2010. I am know "mostly" PC (desktops and notebooks) and Android (tablets) ... although my wife and I both use iPhones and my wife has a MacBook Air.

I honestly believe the division between Macs and Windows PCs isn't as big as it used to be. Macs and PCs are like two different types of screwdrivers (one Philips bit and the other Torx bit). Both types of screwdriver have their place ... just use the one that works for you.

For me, I kept needing (or wanting) to move to the latest hardware as quickly as possible ... and Macs are usually at least 6-10 months behind PCs in terms of most hardware specs (newest processors, graphics, driver support, etc.) and have a hefty premium in terms of price. I used to think Macs had better style that made them worth the extra cost but now I prefer the looks of some mid-range to premium PCs.

10-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Totally gonna make a bunch of stickers for MacPro buyers...

10-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bob from aus Quote
agree with exterminate - we had a mac and it was a bleeding disaster. Could have resulted in a divorce. My wife still can't find her files.
pebkac
10-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It would match my super-ugly router
10-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a MacPro that is nearly 7 years old, and I expect to be replacing it with the new model once it has been on the market and tested for a while. I use external RAID arrays for storing all of my photo files. As I understand it, Thunderbolt docks are already in development that will facilitate connecting peripherals to the new MacPro, so I don't think that connectivity is going to be the problem that many have feared. Why would I not simply get a 27" iMac? I don't like the reflective screen on the monitor. If Apple would offer an iMac with a top quality non-reflective monitor, I would consider it.

Rob
10-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Agree with exterminate - We had a mac and it was a bleeding disaster. Could have resulted in a divorce. My wife still can't find her files.
With all due respect, your difficulties with finding files on a Mac reflects your own inability to learn what is a very simple and logical system. Do not blame the OS, which is the model that Microsoft has been trying to emulate for years, but never quite getting it right. I used Windows machines at work and was always struck by the complexity of performing the most basic tasks. There's a reason why huge numbers of Windows users have switched to Macs, even though they cost more, while relatively few have gone the other way.

Rob
10-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I suspect you had a Mac in the pre-second coming of Jobs era. They totally lost the plot on one version of the old OS, just like Microsoft does every now and then, with Windows. In fact, it was one of those times that made me start looking at Macs, because I was spending more time re-booting Windows than working. My wife had never used a Mac when I passed her my 15" PowerBook - now, like me, she uses both systems happily, except we both swear at Outlook when it loses stuff.

The new Mac Pro looks interesting, but, unless I got heavily into video, I couldn't see that I'd use all that computing power. My last-generation 27" iMac does what I need for stills work, although faster is always better, because PhotoShop chews up processor time, but I'm not going to upgrade that while Adobe insists on its rental/cloud policy.
10-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
With all due respect, your difficulties with finding files on a Mac reflects your own inability to learn what is a very simple and logical system. Do not blame the OS, which is the model that Microsoft has been trying to emulate for years, but never quite getting it right. I used Windows machines at work and was always struck by the complexity of performing the most basic tasks. There's a reason why huge numbers of Windows users have switched to Macs, even though they cost more, while relatively few have gone the other way.

Rob
In most cases I'd agree but I do know from firsthand experience that iPhoto's file storage system was positively byzantine the last time that I used it. That's one of the things that drove me away from it.
10-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
In most cases I'd agree but I do know from firsthand experience that iPhoto's file storage system was positively byzantine the last time that I used it. That's one of the things that drove me away from it.
iPhoto's file system was supposed to keep you away from it...

iPhoto and Aperture can share libraries now, but only managed Aperture libraries.

Aperture 3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

QuoteQuote:
Warning: You should always back up and work with your managed images and projects from within the Aperture application. If you move or accidentally change the files stored in the Aperture Library file, Aperture may not be able to locate your project and images later. Making a change to a managed file in the Finder, such as renaming it, creates changes that the application cannot track.