Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #1

GPS Apps For Geotagging?

I'm traveling to Cuba in Dec and am looking for a way to geotag my photos. Cuba does not permit geotagging devices. I understand that there are smartphone apps that once you sync to the time on your camera, you can then sync up later in Lightroom to geotag your photos. Does anyone have any current experience/recommendations with these apps?

10-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you're saying you can't take a GPS to Cuba?
10-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So you're saying you can't take a GPS to Cuba?
That is correct. They will confiscate it at customs if they find it.
10-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leo315 Quote
That is correct. They will confiscate it at customs if they find it.
Won't they confiscate smart phones that have GPS apps?

I just googled geo tagging iPhone and found this immediately. http://www.saltpepper.net/geotag/

For $1, it's worth a try. The iTunes reviews aren't very positive but they are quite old. Try it before you go away.

Last edited by p38arover; 10-23-2013 at 03:48 PM.
10-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used SportsTracker and Google MyTracks. Both can create GPX files that work fine with Lightroom's map module, and both are free.
10-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Won't they confiscate smart phones that have GPS apps?

I just googled geo tagging iPhone and found this immediately. GeoTag for iPhone: Tag Your Digital Photos with Location

For $1, it's worth a try. The iTunes reviews aren't very positive but they are quite old. Try it before you go away.
Thanks for the link. I did come across a few geotagging apps for the iPhone. I was just hoping for some recommendations from members of this forum who I trust more than posters at the iTunes store. I also need to make sure it will ultimately sync with DNG.

As to the smartphone issue, the Cuban customs website states that mobile phones are allowed. From what I have read, people have not had problems with iPhones..
10-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm traveling to Cuba in Dec and am looking for a way to geotag my photos. Cuba does not permit geotagging devices. I understand that there are smartphone apps that once you sync to the time on your camera, you can then sync up later in Lightroom to geotag your photos. Does anyone have any current experience/recommendations with these apps?
Basically you want an app which will write a .gpx file. For Android I use Google My Tracks, but there are many others. Once you've got the time and location data in a gpx file there are many free programs which will synch your photos to the recorded tracks, usually quite intelligently, allowing for the inevitable offset between the camera and GPS clocks. For PC Geosetter is the one that I use - it overlays the photo locations onto Google maps and lets you fine tweak the positioning and lots more. For track editing GPS Track Editor is very good but it uses only Openstreetmap maps. It has some clever filter functions to clean up the inevitable scatter and rogue points.

GPS built into smartphones is usually not as good as a dedicated GPS logger - in my experience smartphones seem to lose lock quite easily and can take a long time to re-acquire. I usually use the Holux M-241 GPS logger in preference.

10-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Basically you want an app which will write a .gpx file. For Android I use Google My Tracks, but there are many others. Once you've got the time and location data in a gpx file there are many free programs which will synch your photos to the recorded tracks, usually quite intelligently, allowing for the inevitable offset between the camera and GPS clocks. For PC Geosetter is the one that I use - it overlays the photo locations onto Google maps and lets you fine tweak the positioning and lots more. For track editing GPS Track Editor is very good but it uses only Openstreetmap maps. It has some clever filter functions to clean up the inevitable scatter and rogue points.

GPS built into smartphones is usually not as good as a dedicated GPS logger - in my experience smartphones seem to lose lock quite easily and can take a long time to re-acquire. I usually use the Holux M-241 GPS logger in preference.
Thanks for the info. I think I've got it narrowed down to 3 Apps for the iPhone that have the highest number and best reviews. They are each $4 or less. The 3 are MotionX ,
Geotag Photos, and gps4cam Pro. One of the things I'd like to find out in addition to accuracy is if there is a difference in battery draw on the iPhone, as I am likely to be out shooting all day. If anyone has any experience with any of these, please let me know.
10-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for the info. I think I've got it narrowed down to 3 Apps for the iPhone that have the highest number and best reviews. They are each $4 or less. The 3 are MotionX ,
Geotag Photos, and gps4cam Pro. One of the things I'd like to find out in addition to accuracy is if there is a difference in battery draw on the iPhone, as I am likely to be out shooting all day. If anyone has any experience with any of these, please let me know.
GPS is definitely a battery draw on any phone. Don't iPhones or any phones geotag anytime you take a picture (if you want)? You could just make a point to take a phone pic at each shooting location, although it would be more work to extract the data later and sync it to your other shots...
10-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. I think I've got it narrowed down to 3 Apps for the iPhone that have the highest number and best reviews. They are each $4 or less. The 3 are MotionX .
Hmm, I have MotionX but didn't realise you could use it for geotagging. I'll have to have a look at it.
10-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given the current usurious Canadian mobile phone rates for international roaming, there is no way I could afford turning on my cell phone in Cuba let alone using it for GPS tracking.

Jack
10-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Given the current usurious Canadian mobile phone rates for international roaming, there is no way I could afford turning on my cell phone in Cuba let alone using it for GPS tracking.

Jack
At least you can buy Cuban cigars.
10-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote

Jack
From what I understand, the Apps I am considering work as if it's a standalone GPS and therefore there are no roaming charges. They can work in the background with the phone on sleep.
10-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
At least you can buy Cuban cigars
But I've got to smoke them in Cuba as they can't be brought into the States.
10-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
GPS is definitely a battery draw on any phone. Don't iPhones or any phones geotag anytime you take a picture (if you want)? You could just make a point to take a phone pic at each shooting location, although it would be more work to extract the data later and sync it to your other shots...

No it isn't. I use a freeware GPS Logger II app on an old Blackberry phone and it doesn't drain the battery to any signifianct degree over normal phone usage.

GPSLogger II Homepage - 100% free Software for BlackBerry