Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Darktable is only compatible with certain major Linux builds and Mac OS. Shame, because it looks like worthy competitor.

I downloaded a bunch of trials, but most everything does image manipulation, not organization. I guess I will have to try and learn LightRoom.
If you run a Web search for "image management software" you will find a number of options.

Like markdemarais, I've been using IMatch for a long time and find it very useful. It doesn't have a glitzy interface like Lightroom, but I find it much more user friendly for basic cataloging.

10-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Darktable.
Thank you Elliot!
10-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I spent some quality time with Light room over the past two days and its growing on me although there are some things which seem insanely stupid and out of order for a workflow. My PP seems to be better too, but that might have something to do with the number of LR processing tutorials I read instead of the software itself.
10-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
out of order for a workflow.
Workflow is personal and everyone has different ways of doing things.

For image processing the develop tab is mostly laid out top to bottom. Start with WB and end with sharpening and NR. That works well for me.

The real power of Lightroom though is in setting up presets.
For example my 'import' preset does the following:
  • Changes file name to format: year.month.day@hour.minute.second+suffix
  • Adds copyright info to the file
  • Copies the file from SD card to the network file server
  • Makes an archive copy to the attached external drive
  • Applies +20 clarity, +20 vibrance, masks sharpening to 65, turns on lens corrections and applies a few other things I don't remember at the moment
This gets everything to the point that a well exposed image can be exported without further adjustment. Of course most images get additional tweaks but this gets them all close without having to mess with all of them.

So as you find something you like doing, or find something you are doing to all images, make it a preset. Then either set the preset to be applied on import or use it as a one click process.