Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How *not* to process a photo for publication

This is one of the images in a gallery from a CNN article on the Red Star Line, showing one of five surviving passengers from this iconic steamship line:

When the lighting is bad (bright sunlight with shadows), and you recover the highlights and shadows from a raw file, please don't go for some "faux HDR" look that turns everything medium grey. I'm not even sure if the desaturation is intentional (to match the old photo being held up), or the result of someone ham-handedly trying to correct overly "blue" shadows! So sad for CNN...

10-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Brrrrrrrrrrrr
10-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It seems that publications are getting more and more shoddy about what they publish. All sorts of crap is being published. Remember the horrible photos published of the US Olympic team at the last summer Olympics? No editorial oversight was used. Junk rags are the result.
10-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see shots daily while reading news online and I am amazed at the poor quality. My grand kids do better with their cell phones. As for the PP, mostly it's extreme over sharpening and ugly artifacts.