Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pano`s in PS: overexposure?

Hi guys,

Got a question I hope you can answer for me.

I was just going through my holiday shots in LR5 and came across a sequence intended to stich a panorama. They were shot MF and on M to avoid focus- and exposure-issues and they came out fine. The sky was not blown out according to LR. So I selected the sequence, rightclicked on one of the pics and selected "Merge to panorama in PS CS5" (like I allways do). PS started up, did it`s panomagic et voila....a very nice panorama. Except for the fact that 80% of the sky was blown out.
I went back to LR and checked the original DNG`s and allthough the scene had a grey sky and all shots were exposed to the right as much as possible, none of them showed clipping. Recovering highlights of the stitched image didn`t work, big parts were blown out completely. The final image is unusable for me.

The originals are good, so why did it go wrong in PS? Does anyone know what happend here?

TIA and kind regards,
Jacco

10-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Hi guys,

Got a question I hope you can answer for me.

I was just going through my holiday shots in LR5 and came across a sequence intended to stich a panorama. They were shot MF and on M to avoid focus- and exposure-issues and they came out fine. The sky was not blown out according to LR. So I selected the sequence, rightclicked on one of the pics and selected "Merge to panorama in PS CS5" (like I allways do). PS started up, did it`s panomagic et voila....a very nice panorama. Except for the fact that 80% of the sky was blown out.
I went back to LR and checked the original DNG`s and allthough the scene had a grey sky and all shots were exposed to the right as much as possible, none of them showed clipping. Recovering highlights of the stitched image didn`t work, big parts were blown out completely. The final image is unusable for me.

The originals are good, so why did it go wrong in PS? Does anyone know what happend here?

TIA and kind regards,
Jacco
Hi there,
I'm using CS6 so I cannot exactly reproduce the issue but I suppose it has to do with the way that Photoshop is blending the individual shots. Something similar can happen in Hugin which I use for stitching but to a much lesser degree. In order to avoid this, I try to keep my white points well clear of the 255 value. It is best to start out with 16bit images and lower the white point by 10 (from 255 to 245) in Image > Adjustments > Curves. Then even when the individual images are processed to fit seamlessly you should not end up with blown highlights. When your panorama is complete you use Curves again to push the highlights where you want them. When all processing is done you can set the mode to 8bit.
10-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Vielen dank, I think I`ll get your point and give it another try tomorrow. I`ll report back with my findings.
10-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Try this workflow method ,

1.Highlight the images that you're going to merge to panorama and stack them together,
2.Click on the 1st image in the stack and make your adjustments , I normally wind down the hightlights and increase the shadows , whites , clarity , etc

If the first image doesn't have the best exposure setting , you can select one of the other images in the stack and move it to the top of the stack and make your adjustment there.

While holding <alt> key adjust your whites and make sure there are no bright pixels
And all the other necessary adjustments I.e lens profile , white balance etc.

3. syncronise them all in develop tool and
the adjustment you've made on 1st image will also flow down to the rest of the images in the stack.
Then edit > merge to panorama in ps.

Use the cylindrical method of stitching ;-)

10-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
Try this workflow method ,

1.Highlight the images that you're going to merge to panorama and stack them together,
2.Click on the 1st image in the stack and make your adjustments , I normally wind down the hightlights and increase the shadows , whites , clarity , etc

If the first image doesn't have the best exposure setting , you can select one of the other images in the stack and move it to the top of the stack and make your adjustment there.

While holding <alt> key adjust your whites and make sure there are no bright pixels
And all the other necessary adjustments I.e lens profile , white balance etc.

3. syncronise them all in develop tool and
the adjustment you've made on 1st image will also flow down to the rest of the images in the stack.
Then edit > merge to panorama in ps.

Use the cylindrical method of stitching ;-)
This sounds interesting as well, thanks Disco. I`ll give both methods a try and hopefully we`ll learn a thing or 2
10-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Allright, tried both methods and no succes, the results are the same as yesterday. Even in the loading-phase the files look way brighter then in LR.
As a final test I manually imported the files into PS and selected "photomerge". This worked out quite fine.

Beats me, maybe it has to do something with cameraRAW (I don`t have the last version)?