Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Paint Shop Pro users - what version is your favorite?

I've been using PSP X2 for a while. I wouldn't mind upgrading, but I just downloaded a trial of X6 and absolutely hated it. The browser is a separate tab now, instead of just another open window I can ctrl-tab into, the top of the screen has realestate stolen by the tabs, the huge corel logo, and several menu bars which cannot be moved together to be on the same bar on a wide screen. It also has that ridiculously unuseful image browser on the bottom of the screen, stealing more real-estate.

Double click an image in the browser and it opens up in a stupid lightbox preview, just like a webpage. I have to right-click and either send to edit or send to adjustment, which tries (and fails) to be a lightroom alternative.

I'm pretty much resigned to never, ever getting a decent RAW converter that even comes close to lightroom, but I want PSP for the functionality that lightroom is missing. (Like ease of use, toothbrush, advanced crop and straighten, object removal, etc).

I want something with an interface similar to PSP X2, and I DO NOT WANT a non-destructive editor. I back up original versions of all of my photos. I don't want to have to back up a huge database too.

So what version is the best for me? I can still find all of the older versions for sale via google, and at pretty good prices too...

Charles.

10-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using PSP X5 because they finally fixed the Photoshop Plug-in interface. It might have been fixed in the PSP X4 SP2 or SP3. I think they broke it in X3.
I still prefer the versions of PSP that does not include any form of image browser. I like that it was strictly an editor.
Been using ACDSee Pro 7 for raw conversion and image browsing. For me, it's better suits my workflow.
My first compact digital Pentax included a copy of ACDSee 2.0 which might have tinted my view of image browsing.

I haven't tried X6 yet, but seriously thinking of upgrading. Primarily for the 64-bit. I had a few images that were 75+ MB that the 32-bit interface would choke on. It would allow me 3-4 operations before it filled it's undo cache and crashed.
10-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried X6 and hated the interface. I loved the JSAC file browser in PSP 7, PSP X2 was usable, but extremely slow. But X6 was just an altogether terrible experience for me. Too much screen realestate is taken up by things you can't remove, and it was horribly clunky to use. PSP X2 is worlds better in that department. It was slow (but nice enough, took 1/3 the memory that lightroom does), the workflow was awkward, and the browser sucks balls now.

But all of that I could have lived with, if the raw processing was halfway decent. Sadly, it's not. Not by a long shot. where lightroom has several options in the noise department -- hte most useful of which is fixing color noise without degrading detail in the rest of the image, PSP has only the most basic of noise reduction. What's more, I could not for the life of me develop a raw file that looked at least as good as the out-of-camera jpeg. I couldn't even get close, even after an hour of messing around -- and I know the Corel interface.

I downloaded lightroom, and though I dislike that interface as well (well, parts of it I like, parts of it I despise), in a half hour I was able to figure out how to use it and produce a raw file that looked LOADS better than the out-of-camera JPEG. I mean loads.

So, if I'm to spend $150ish on lightroom, I'm going to spend a lot less on an older version of PSP, which can do *most* of what I want.

Now, give me an easy-to-use toothbrush and a vignette correction/addition in lightroom, and I might not even need PSP...

Charles.
11-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

I've been using PSP x6 for a couple of months now, and have to say now that I am used to it, its better than the previous versions. Though I tend to agree that the interface can get a bit busy at times.
On a 64 bit Windows 7 it has very zippy performance. There has has also been a lot of improvements to the tools available over version X4 that I was using before. I have have had no problems with using plugins designed for Photoshop. The only complaint I do have is that the Raw converter has not improved as much as I would have liked, so I will be sticking with Aftershot for that.

11-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Just upgraded from X2 to X5. I'm still learning the new features and getting use to the different UI, but I like it.
11-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I snagged a copy of X3 for $15, and it's better than X2. But it wasn't any faster. The browser is marginally better (and the only way to make THAT faster is to add more ram), but different effects run on images are just as slow as with X2. I don't think I'll be upgrading to 6. I do miss being able to ctrl-tab back to the browser, instead of having to use the mouse. There is not a hot-key combination to go back to the organizer, so it's a little annoying to have to use the mouse. But livable.

However, I may be moving to a Mac soon, so this all might be moot.

Charles.
11-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Paint Shop Pro users - what version is your favorite?
I guess my one and only copy. When it loads and per the "help" is says it is version 12.50 (?), but this copy was built August 8, 2008, if that helps any. I have been using it since 2009. I thought it was version 2, but now I'm not so sure. I have thought about upgrading, but have had no real need to yet. My $0.02 worth. Glenn

11-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm using x5 since I bought it last year with a great Black Friday deal. I haven't really used it a whole lot as I need to learn about using layers etc. The one thing I like the most about it as I can use the NIK collection of plug-ins with it - a big feature for me since I am abandoning Lightroom now.