Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dgitizing prints - has anyone used one of these:

I was browsing my hundreds of prints from way back and saw this: Wolverine PD20 Photo Digitizer PD20 B&H Photo Video

Has anyone tried a similar set up and if so, how was it?

Thanks.

JP

10-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't see how this is better than using a flatbed and good software, like VueScan, to batch scan photos with multi-crop.
10-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't see how this is better than using a flatbed and good software, like VueScan, to batch scan photos with multi-crop.
Thanks.

I've Googled VueScan .... and my old printer/scanner (Canon MX 320) is supported by the software.
The tecnical specs are as follows: Canon MX320 Scanner Driver and Software | VueScan

JP
10-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I was browsing my hundreds of prints from way back and saw this: Wolverine PD20 Photo Digitizer PD20 B&H Photo Video

Has anyone tried a similar set up and if so, how was it?

Thanks.

JP
Not really a scanner; just a cheapo tiny sensor. Like the worst high-megapixel P&S stuck in a box with a hinged glass lid. Used a similar thing from same brand two years ago. Returned it after 10 minutes. It may have value as a scrapbook tool for non- photographers I suppose. What are your output requirements?

M

10-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The document feeder on a colour photocopier / scanner will feed 10x15 prints.
I've done thousands of prints this way very quickly using the printer at work after hours.
You just have to have it set up to send the scans to either your computer or it's internal hard drive.
(As I'm not printing, it doesn't cost my boss any money, so he didn't mind me doing it.)
10-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Not really a scanner; just a cheapo tiny sensor. Like the worst high-megapixel P&S stuck in a box with a hinged glass lid. Used a similar thing from same brand two years ago. Returned it after 10 minutes. It may have value as a scrapbook tool for non- photographers I suppose. What are your output requirements?

M
In that case, not a whole lot better than my old printer/scanner.
As for my requirements: "clear" and sharp enough to show around once digitized, and maybe add to my "portfolio".

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
The document feeder on a colour photocopier / scanner will feed 10x15 prints.
I've done thousands of prints this way very quickly using the printer at work after hours.
You just have to have it set up to send the scans to either your computer or it's internal hard drive.
(As I'm not printing, it doesn't cost my boss any money, so he didn't mind me doing it.)
I've tried a few old prints, being scanned with the Canon MX320 ... it really depends who the prints were in the first place: if they were badly damaged or lacking substantial contrast, the results were flaky, at best.

JP
10-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
As for my requirements: "clear" and sharp enough to show around once digitized, and maybe add to my "portfolio".
How many are you talking about JP? You said hundreds but most of us mortals can reduce that by a fairly significant factor when culling for display or portfolio purposes. You could outsource the work to a lab or an overseas scan service such as ScanCafe. Thousands do regardless of the inherent risks.

If you want to DYI, I'd suggest obtaining a better scanner than you have. A popular flatbed is the Epson V700/750. The V600 is much cheaper and works well. Flatbed scanner technology hasn't gotten all that much better during the past 10 years, so a used model in good condition would serve you well. I found an Epson 4990 that works excellently with VueScan. The task at hand is very time consuming and post-processing intensive, so make sure the prints you winnow things down to are worthy.

M

11-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
How many are you talking about JP? You said hundreds but most of us mortals can reduce that by a fairly significant factor when culling for display or portfolio purposes. You could outsource the work to a lab or an overseas scan service such as ScanCafe. Thousands do regardless of the inherent risks.

If you want to DYI, I'd suggest obtaining a better scanner than you have. A popular flatbed is the Epson V700/750. The V600 is much cheaper and works well. Flatbed scanner technology hasn't gotten all that much better during the past 10 years, so a used model in good condition would serve you well. I found an Epson 4990 that works excellently with VueScan. The task at hand is very time consuming and post-processing intensive, so make sure the prints you winnow things down to are worthy.

M
Thanks for the feedback Miguel and sorry about the lateness of my reply.

JP