Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 02:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Have just installed PDCU 5 off the CD that came in my K-3 box

It now has a 64bit version as well as a 32bit version (Windows install). Installed the 64bit version on Windows 7. Seems stable and a bit faster than PDCU 4. Interface is a little different (big ugly toolbar icons etc) but the features seem the same. The excellent WB and noise reduction features are the same as v4, excellent support for all the Pentax image tones and scene modes too, of course. Early days, but it seems a keeper.

12-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by lare Quote
This programm do'nt run on W7 64 bits
It is so slow that it is not possible to work with!!
In my W8.1 64 bit This utility do'nt start. After highlighting the form of presentation , the application aborts without giving any error code. In addition, Ricoh does not yet support nor the K-3 purchased by me nor the software in question (Pentax Digital Camera 5). I hope they wake up soon!
12-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I should probably remain quiet given how I just installed it, but my first impression is... what fresh hell is this?! I actually quite liked DCU 4 once I learned how to work with it, but this seems quite another beast. Main gripe so far is that it appears to lack a "Custom" interface screen, the one I always used with DCU 4. I'm hoping I'm simply yelling too soon and will discover it has one anyway, just hidden in a counterintuitive fashion. If anyone feels the need to reassure me while I work through the help function, I will not complain . It (the 64-bit version) does run on my 7-year old windows machine, though (w7/64 bit, 8 GB RAM).
12-18-2013, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #19

DIgital Camera Utility 5.0 works on Mac OS X 10.7.5 just a little slower than PDCU 4.41. But the image quality is noticeably better.
Also the good thing is that DCU 5.0 reads and converts RAW files from any of Pentax cameras older than K-3, including Pentax Q, K-01, K-30. It's convenient.
Common performance stability of DCU 5.0 is not quite good: very often when you adjust one parameter - the previously adjusted parameter could be suddenly set to the default value. Maybe this is in the Mac version only?
European service of Ricoh keeps quiet for the month... Let's wait for the update. :-)

Last edited by Uncle Vova; 12-18-2013 at 09:41 AM.
12-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #20

I have to admit, after my initial "it's different from what I'm used to and therefore I hate it" whine from yesterday, after a couple of hours of playing with it my gripes have pretty much disappeared and are limited to details only. I'm especially impressed by the new noise reduction algorithms, although perhaps the much better results are primarily due to my new K-3's (yay) images than anything else. On my old machine, processing a 24MP image from the K-3 seems to hardly take any longer than processing a 16MP image from my K-5 in DCU4, which I find pleasantly surprising.

QuoteQuote:
Also the good thing is that DCU 5.0 reads and converts RAW files from any of Pentax cameras older than K-3, including Pentax Q, K-01, K-30. It's convenient.
I didn't realise it could also work with the Q's images. That's convenient indeed! I'm not a fan of the software that came with my Q.
12-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #21

I just noticed one annoying detail... in DCU4, I'd simply protect the images I wanted to keep, then select all images (or subsets) in the folder and trash them. The protected files would simply remain. Not so in DCU5... I probably should have checked that before emptying the trash!

Sidenote: I just realised that FastStone image viewer doesn't require an update to work with the K-3's PEFs. More convenient for the sorting bit anyway.
05-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
I just got a k3 and I have windows vista 64 bit and the new cd that came with the camera won't open . I took some photos in DNG and photo shop cs2 won't open the files . nether will adobe 8.3 dng .converter and 8.4 is for windows 7 and won't load in vista. Adam , the main man on this forum told me to get cs6 . Thats going to go over real good with my wife that took one look at my new camera as I was taking it out of the box and said you paid 1,200.00 for that and proceed to call me stupid lol. I'm afraid to look at the cs6 price . There are so many cs6 things out there I don't know which one I need . I just open cs2 and open Bridge and find my photos and change them like lighter and darker ect with the slide bars . And the only other thing I use cs2 for is to fix old pictures like get ride of red eye , get rid of spots mainly brush stuff . Is buying cs6 the only way to open dng files from my new k3 . Could someone tell me if the cs6 I need to get is this one with the fish face person on the cover Adobe Photoshop CS6 - ( v. 13 ) - license - 65158421AA04A00 - Application Suites - CDW.com. My wife is going to kill me if it is. Its over 600.00 dollars . And If I have to buy a new computer just to open a photo in raw format ,I might have to sell my new camera , I got the grip and every thing , 50mm 1.8 and a 32g card . I'm about to get sick.

05-07-2014, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No. You have many options. Most raw processing programs seem to be able to open K-3 DNGs although there are a few that are slow to catch up. Try FastStone - it is free and does an amazing amount of stuff. Lightroom is probably the best commercial program but there are many others. Photoshop is probably the worst choice unless you have the special needs it addresses.
05-07-2014, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Rawtherapee is free, but you can say it came free with the camera .
05-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
Mikesul I forgot I have light room 2 installed in my computer I never use it because I could not figure out how to save and convert to jpegs but I loaded some photos in it and it opened them I watched a few videos and can now save the raw to jegs in lightroom 2 Why won't the new cd I got with the k3 camera open in windows vista 64 bit .

---------- Post added 05-08-2014 at 08:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lare Quote
This programm do'nt run on W7 64 bits
It is so slow that it is not possible to work with!!
lare when you find out will you message me with the answer I have window vista 64 bit and it opens for 1 second then closes .I see a red box with some words but it closes to fast to read it It works fine in vista 32 bit computer.
12-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #26

The DCU 5.2.1 is still enough unstable on my Mac, so I've made the downgrade to the PDCU 4 - it is faster for now
and shows good stability. Hope Ricoh will finally reach the performance of old PDCU 4 in it's modern DCU 5.