Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I use both, LR5 and CS6 and now I've signed up for the CC for both at £8.78 a month. The bulk of my stuff can be done in LR5 but for any "heavy lifting" CS6 is the real workhorse.
Same here (allthough I use CS5 combined with Topazlabs). LR5 is used for catalogging, reviewing and "normal" corrections regarding color, exposure and cropping e.g RAWdevelopment. CS5 comes into play for pixelwork, layers & masks and local adjustments e.g the finishing touch for prints, etc.

11-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Since I don't already have Photoshop it seems my options are:

1. Buy CS6 for about $600 and never upgrade it
2. Join the Creative Cloud and pay $20 a month, FOREVER!

Is there a third option? Maybe another program just as good as Photoshop or another way of buying PS that I don't know about?
11-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanS Quote
Since I don't already have Photoshop it seems my options are:

1. Buy CS6 for about $600 and never upgrade it
2. Join the Creative Cloud and pay $20 a month, FOREVER!

Is there a third option? Maybe another program just as good as Photoshop or another way of buying PS that I don't know about?
Please read the advice given closely. CS6 is not Photoshop Elements which would serve you. Plus there are many non-Adobe products that you ought to research by yourself.

M
11-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Please read the advice given closely. CS6 is not Photoshop Elements which would serve you. Plus there are many non-Adobe products that you ought to research by yourself.

M
Thanks, I'll look into Elements more. As for non-Adobe products I ought to research for myself, I think I'm in the right place for doing research. I'm asking for people's opinions. If you don't want to offer any, that is fine, but don't tell me to research for myself on a forum whose purpose is to help people out that have questions.

11-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

When Lightroom cannot do what you need, get Photoshop.
Necessary? Maybe. Depends on what you do.

LightRoom is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW for anything but the most trivial of edits. (in some cases, a right pain in the arse too!)
But more often than not, that is all that is *needed*. So, we circle back to the first statement...
11-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you've never used GIMP give it a good go before committing to Photoshop. And as photoshop is now a subscription it really is a commitment. I have used Gimp for some time and it does a heck of a lot. Someone has some GIMP tutorials posted on this site.....
11-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
If you've never used GIMP give it a good go before committing to Photoshop. And as photoshop is now a subscription it really is a commitment. I have used Gimp for some time and it does a heck of a lot. Someone has some GIMP tutorials posted on this site.....
Thanks! I'll look into that

11-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are absolutely right.
My apologies for being rude & unhelpful.

M

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanS Quote
Thanks, I'll look into Elements more. As for non-Adobe products I ought to research for myself, I think I'm in the right place for doing research. I'm asking for people's opinions. If you don't want to offer any, that is fine, but don't tell me to research for myself on a forum whose purpose is to help people out that have questions.
11-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is a link Ryan. Post-Processing Workflow in GIMP - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
I might add as well that GIMP is Open Source and bears no $$ cost $$.
11-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #25
Inactive Account

There are alternatives

I use LR5, Photoshop, and Paintshop Pro from Corel.

I do 90% of my editing with LR5 and Photomatix (HDR) and Nik plugins. I use Photoshop for stuff like resizing, conversion to sRGB for Web, and some pixel-level editing that just can't be done in LR5.

I also use Photoshop for heavy-duty editing using layers and advanced tools - but I also use the far less expensive Paintshop Pro for these tasks - it is very capable and the new 64-bit version is comparable to Photoshop in features and performance. And it costs around $100 U.S. It is not, however, as popular as Photoshop, and when you are learning to do advanced editing almost all the books and articles you read will have examples in Photoshop. But most of the things you can do in Photoshop can also be done in Paintshop Pro. It also can use many Photoshop plugins (Nik's tools work, for example).

I have Paintshop Pro set up as my "alternate" external editor in LR5. Paintshop Pro also has a Bridge-like organizer and a Camera Raw-like raw converter - but LR5 is superior to either for raw work. It also has stuff like HDR processing, multi-exposure merge, etc. Paintshop Pro is not as refined as Photoshop, but it's good and it's stable. It also has a very similar interface (GIMP's interface drives me nuts).

Because I don't like "renting" my Photoshop for $20/month through Creative Cloud I am considering dropping Photoshop and just using Paintshop Pro.

Photoshop Elements is also a good choice if you need pixel-level editing features but not the advanced features of Photoshop (and really only pros or enthusiasts who are heavy into photo manipulation need Photoshop). It has the main features of Photoshop in a simplified interface: layers and brushes, etc. are all available. It also has a very nice organizer that can search on photos based on their content (like "find all images with cars in them"). Many Photoshop plugins also work in Elements.
11-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
I use LR5, Photoshop, and Paintshop Pro from Corel.

I do 90% of my editing with LR5 and Photomatix (HDR) and Nik plugins. I use Photoshop for stuff like resizing, conversion to sRGB for Web, and some pixel-level editing that just can't be done in LR5.

I also use Photoshop for heavy-duty editing using layers and advanced tools - but I also use the far less expensive Paintshop Pro for these tasks - it is very capable and the new 64-bit version is comparable to Photoshop in features and performance. And it costs around $100 U.S. It is not, however, as popular as Photoshop, and when you are learning to do advanced editing almost all the books and articles you read will have examples in Photoshop. But most of the things you can do in Photoshop can also be done in Paintshop Pro. It also can use many Photoshop plugins (Nik's tools work, for example).

I have Paintshop Pro set up as my "alternate" external editor in LR5. Paintshop Pro also has a Bridge-like organizer and a Camera Raw-like raw converter - but LR5 is superior to either for raw work. It also has stuff like HDR processing, multi-exposure merge, etc. Paintshop Pro is not as refined as Photoshop, but it's good and it's stable. It also has a very similar interface (GIMP's interface drives me nuts).

Because I don't like "renting" my Photoshop for $20/month through Creative Cloud I am considering dropping Photoshop and just using Paintshop Pro.

Photoshop Elements is also a good choice if you need pixel-level editing features but not the advanced features of Photoshop (and really only pros or enthusiasts who are heavy into photo manipulation need Photoshop). It has the main features of Photoshop in a simplified interface: layers and brushes, etc. are all available. It also has a very nice organizer that can search on photos based on their content (like "find all images with cars in them"). Many Photoshop plugins also work in Elements.
Wow! Thank you for the very detailed response! I think I'm going to go with Elements 12. Amazon has it for $50 for Prime members and it looks like it will do everything that I want. Also, like you mentioned, there are a lot more Youtube videos and books out there on Adobe products, so that is nice as well.