Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2013, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LensTagger - Lightroom Plugin to add info on manual lenses

I haven't found many programs that let you modify the lens name in EXIF. Lightroom is like the rest. If I set SR correctly, I can find photos taken with my 400mm prime but the name of the lens is "A Series Lens".

Exiftool is a great utility but something running within LR would be ideal. LensTagger looks like it works so far. It uses Exiftool to do the work, but runs as a plugin within LR. I just changed the name of a few lenses and am happy. The site got me started with setting up the plug-in. I had trouble getting the exiftool.exe file in a place where the plugin could find it, eventually just putting it in the Windows directory.

I am just starting to get organized with LR4 so I did not worry about file modifications or sidecars or any of that. If I had every edit and keyword for years in there, I'd be more cautious.

11-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This looks like a sweet find, thanks. I've used John's Big Note for entering searchable comments but this is more functional for data mining.

M
11-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A couple of other uses: I have an early autofocus lens that apparently tells the camera a focal length but not a lens name. And somewhere along the line, I lost the beginning of some lens names. I could fix the lens names without altering any other data.

The plugin isn't that fast and not smoothly integrated, but faster than doing it by hand. It creates a command line for Exiftool, which can only be so long, so I can only do about 100 lenses at once. I am sort of enjoying the detective work to figure out which lens I used.
12-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The latest version of exiftool (exe) doesn't work right. It hangs, and requires a shutdown from task manager to get it to stop. I'd hold off upgrading the software if you've got a working version. Also, keep your old zip files around somewhere in case you upgrade to a new version that doesn't work. I'm regretting not doing this right now.

06-04-2014, 02:09 AM   #5

I don't know if this is of any help, but I programmed something similar to LensTagger which does not rely on exifTools but on the exiv2 library. I haven't had time to do excessive testing, so one might be cautious since it alters the original files - you would probably want to back up your files It can be found on my website
sepfie