Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2013, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone have Christmas gift photo printing projects?

I mean something you print to give to others. Albums, mugs, shirts, framed prints or whatever else?

My parents live across the country from me, and every year my Mom always asks for photos of myself and my gf. In 2009, I sent her an album filled with 200 4x6's, each with individual hand written captions. Not just photos of us, but stuff I'd been doing. It was popular, and now I have to make one every year. It's also a great exercise in self-editing and design as well as an excuse to spend time reflecting on what I've done photographically over the year.

The albums I use hold 2 pictures in landscape orientation per page (so 4 visible at a time). I aim to have the groups of 4 related in some way and preferably all either shot in landscape orientation or in portrait orientation to minimize turning the album (I often end up with 2 landscape on one page and 2 portrait on the opposite page). Attached is an example, each row of the contact sheet will represent a group of 4 in the album. The first row is stuff I ate, the second is peppers we grew, the third is tomatoes we grew, and the fourth is an avocado and sweet potato at the start of their lives in the spring and their state today.

These all happen to be food related pages and will be scattered throughout the album to avoid too much repetition (but always the groups of 4 stay together). I'll also have various 'insect', 'amphibian', "pets", and 'plant' pages, as well as a few gratuitous self portraits.

Lots of work but it's pretty rewarding. I was able to visit the previous 4 albums I had made this summer (and my parents at the same time) and they were lots of fun to go through with the family (along with the really old albums of us as kids). I had initially thought to do it all electronically using a service that prints photo books instead of printing 4x6 and hand writing captions. In the end, I'm glad I didn't as this is much more personal and these are definitely one-off productions that make them a little more special (imo). I had in the past sent DVDs with pictures, but those often end up unused in drawers whereas I know the physical albums come out and are enjoyed several times per year.

So, any gifts anyone else is working on? I'd love to hear about them

Attached Images

11-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are gorgeous photos, Brian. I'm sure your family will love them.

I have a few, fairly small projects in mind. I've been experimenting with "beyond P&S") photography for less than a year, but I have been lucky enough to make some nice photos of my siblings-in-law and niece, so I am going to put together a framed set of photos for my mother-in-law of her son (my husband), two daughters and granddaughter.

I also have a photo shoot planned for this weekend with our cats in order to make a photo suitable for our Christmas card. I'm not sure how cooperative they'll be, though, so I might just end up recycling one of these photos from earlier in the year, since I think they'll fit with the theme "Peace on Earth".

Brothers

Tonks

It's probably too late to do this next project for Christmas, so I'm thinking of trying to set it up for Valentine's Day. I photograph cats and dogs for an animal shelter (to help them showcase the animals). I was thinking of getting some greeting cards or postcards made that feature this image (or something similar), with a caption like "Please be mine" and info about the shelter:

Tonks

Tonks

However, I'm photographing for the shelter over the next week or so, so I'll see if I get the animals to cooperate with a Christmas-themed photo and maybe at least I could post the images on their Facebook page.
11-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #3

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
My parents bought a cottage in Whiteshell Provincial Park (in Manitoba, Canada) this year and I made a calendar of all the critters I had been able to photograph while I visited there. I used one shot for each month and I have deer, otter, beaver, chipmunk, geese, dragonfly and the like in the calendar. It the first time I have ever done anything like it. I was hoping for the calendars to arrive today, but so far no luck.

BrianR your project is really special and frogoutofwater, your cats are beautiful.
11-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Those are gorgeous photos, Brian. I'm sure your family will love them.

I have a few, fairly small projects in mind. I've been experimenting with "beyond P&S") photography for less than a year...
Thanks!

Judging from your cat photos, you've definitely gone well "beyond P&S". Your photos do those gorgeous kitties justice and I'm sure your family photos will be appreciated. It's always nice to be able to turn over family photos that are both meaningful and well executed.

And bravo for your work at the pet shelter. It makes a difference.

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
My parents bought a cottage in Whiteshell Provincial Park (in Manitoba, Canada) this year and I made a calendar of all the critters I had been able to photograph while I visited there. I used one shot for each month and I have deer, otter, beaver, chipmunk, geese, dragonfly and the like in the calendar. It the first time I have ever done anything like it. I was hoping for the calendars to arrive today, but so far no luck.

BrianR your project is really special and frogoutofwater, your cats are beautiful.
Thanks for the kind words! This sounds like a great project! A piece of the cottage on your wall. Also, bravo for being well ahead of the game if there was a chance for them to arrive so far in advance of Christmas.

12-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just made my first book thru Blurb to be gifted and finished it but colours are off, my discount never got thru and for whatever reason, i started in ".ca" and ended up in ".com".....you know the newb version of starting a new project "very cold"... next book i might actually plan ...hopefully the recipient isn't one of those editors at large

http://www.blurb.ca/bookstore/invited/4034726/c5b16e12bfcd903347c0b53673aa3ef6dacdba65

Last edited by Clicker; 12-01-2013 at 10:33 PM.
12-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I created a photo book for a handful of family members that accidentally happened as a result of a New Year's Resolution I made for 2013...

This kind of goes along the line of the OP's album to his mom except it was all my own doing. I was really sick with a nasty flu bug starting January 1 for about 10 days. After a couple of days of being sick, tired, and bored, I decided to take the opportunity to tackle the 1000's of photos I had accumulated in the digital camera era and finally tackle PP for them. There were items such as bracketed series intended for HDR, Panoramas, unique RAW files that were under or over-exposed (at least on preview), photos needing blemishes removed, etc. The resolution was to create a blog that would showcase one photo a day where I touched up and processed photos in that collection.

Anyway, a few family members and friends became huge fans of the project, so now that I stuck with it for the whole year, I created a photo book that will be a gift to others. I used Blurb and found that colors can be quite a challenge. Calibration is very important as is getting the brightness right. Regardless, I'm happy with the result and suspect the recipients will be happy with it, too.

Blurb Books | Blurb Books
12-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Great shots Brian. I've put together a calendar for my kids of all of the puppies we've fostered this year. The stats: 6 litters (3 with moms) & 21 puppies. All have been adopted through SICSA.org into forever homes.

Tim

12-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #8

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
My calendars arrived. Since I'm in the hospital my parents brough my mail so I gave them theirs early. They were thrilled with it. When I am well and home I'll post a shot of them.
12-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #9

I do landscape calendars. The last 2 year were shots of overseas holidays. This year there was no holiday, so did my local area
12-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Next year I'll start earlier

For the past couple of years I've done a calendar showcasing our kids. This year my wife asked if I could do a photo book displaying our family life of 2013.

Oh boy was that a lot of work. I must've worked 10-15 evenings on it.

First you review a year's worth of photos to select something commemorative, pretty, heartwarming, a few artsy ones too etc.

Then you realise you've got far too many pictures and agonize over what to cull. Finally I squeezed myself down to 100 shots.

Then you finish up the shots. Oddly the better you get at this the longer it takes. Your standards increase I guess. 100 shots is a lot.

Finally you compose a book using an online service, wrestling with some software you've never used before and realizing you've got neither practise, taste or talent for book layout.

If I do another book next year I'll start earlier. I just managed to order the finished book before the christmas shipping deadline. I hope it comes out well.

This is the cover shot:

Here's another one from the book:

Regards,
--Anders.
12-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few simple family prints...

I send across the world to my Grandparents, who (as I have learned) are far more likely to enjoy a good print or two than on-line photos. So I have printed some nice 5x7's/ 8x10's of the kids and will send them together with a calendar and a letter.
12-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Great shots Brian. I've put together a calendar for my kids of all of the puppies we've fostered this year. The stats: 6 litters (3 with moms) & 21 puppies. All have been adopted through SICSA.org into forever homes.

Tim
That's a beautiful project, Tim. Have you thought of selling that calendar as a fundraiser for the shelter you work with?

I mentioned earlier that I designed a postcard through moo.com that promotes the animal rescue organization I work with, as well as a Valentine's Day card that I'm hoping to sell in exchange for donations. In addition, the family Christmas card I made turned out so well that I decided to use the photo and make a Christmas card that I might try to sell next year as a fundraiser for the shelter.

The inside of the card says "Ho, ho, meow" and on the back it says "Share the joy. Save a stray. Go to [shelter's website] to see how you can help."
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just ordered some personal planners that have a photo for each month. I customized each one so that no one gets the same as anyone else.

They are from Pinhole Press. This is my first time with these folks so my fingers are crossed. I an say their website is very easy to use. I hope their quality is good. I'll report after I see them.
12-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just received the personal planners that I ordered from Pinhole Press, and I must say they are quite nice. They are not cheap (29.95 each with free shipping with a purchase of $50 or more), but the stock is quite good - heavy linen. Another nice touch is both space on the cover and a name page inside for personalization.

Each planner has a picture on the cover and a full-bleed photo to begin each month. Each month has a two-page spread for each week with plenty of space for appointments and notes. The book uses a double ring spiral binding and lies flat when open.

If you decide to try these, be sure your photos have some unimportant background on the right side as the pictures are printed at full bleed and the perforations for the spiral are on the right edge. I knew this, but did not leave enough room. Pinpoint would do well to show that on their template. I am going to recommend it to them.

Last edited by AggieDad; 12-08-2015 at 09:20 PM.
12-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #15

I love your album idea.

I don't make any, but one idea I've considered is a photo mousepad.