Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good budget monitor for photo-editing?

I currently have an older Acer 1600x1050 22" LCD monitor on my desktop which is where I do all my photo processing and viewing and such. Its an ok monitor for basic stuff but I've always found that photos I've had printed have colors and contrast that are drastically different than how they appear on this monitor. Granted, you can't expect a $100 monitor from 5 years ago to be calibrated from the factory and have 100% color accuracy but mine is pretty bad and it really shows with astro photos. So, I figured this would be a good time to get a new monitor given all the deals going on this season. The problem is I just can't figure out what to buy but I've narrowed it down to two choices.

1. Dell U2412m UltraSharp 24" Monitor - IPS monitor, 1920 x 1200 resolution, has very good image quality, no HDMI interface, and is about $250 right now
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Dell+U2412m&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&s...op+Nav-Search=

2. HP ZR2440W 24" Monitor - IPS, 1920 x 1200 resolution, known to have the best image quality in its class, has HDMI and many OSD controlls, about $350 right now
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/853086-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_XW477A8_...D_Backlit.html

Basically, I'm wondering if the HP is worth it over the Dell. The Dell is very popular but slightly less better image quality, doesn't have an HDMI interface, and isn't as energy efficient (I'm a tree hugger). Also the HP comes with software that can be used for color calibration and other tools for getting an accurate image. So in a nutshell I'm wondering if the features the HP has is worth the extra $100 price tag over the Dell? Or is there another monitor under $400 that I should be looking at?

11-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I paid less than 350 for my 28" Samsung a few years ago. No led backlight. I love this monitor
11-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Newegg has an Acer 23" IPS LCD for $150 right now.

Newegg.com - Acer H236HLbid Black 23" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LED Backlit LCD Monitor, IPS Panel 250 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1)
11-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm very happy with the LG IPS2335 I've been using for about a year. It's $184.99 at Newegg now. They are also listing 21.5 inch IPS from LG for $119.

12-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Acer doesnt have the performance Im looking for. Poor color accuracy and gray scale performance. Also complaints about light bleed through.

Reeftool, how is the color accuracy of the LG? Does it have much bleed through?
12-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have 2x Dell U2713HM monitors that are LED backlit and precalibrated from the factory. They are SRGB which is enough for my work. My Dell 3007 died and Dell refused to service it so I moved on. That 30" used to heat the room up and cost a lot to run but not these two LED ones.

I no longer even have to think about my monitors as they haven't droppped calibration at all over about the year I've had them.
12-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're looking to do your own printing spring for an IPS monitor and the SpyderExpress for calibration.

A higher end feature is user selectable color space (Adobe RGB, sRGB, etc). Another high end feature is factory calibration including a report. My Dell U2410 had all of this.

12-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Based on consumer complaint programs and web sites I would run a mile from dell. The after sales if you have problems has a dreadful reputation.
Monitors realy are one of those things where the more you pay the better they get and I'm sure you know a gaming monitor is not the same as a high quality editing monitored Best monitor for photo editing: 4 top models tested and rated | Digital Camera World - page 6

Best monitor for photo editing: 4 top models tested and rated | Digital Camera World
12-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TopherTheME Quote
The Acer doesnt have the performance Im looking for. Poor color accuracy and gray scale performance. Also complaints about light bleed through.

Reeftool, how is the color accuracy of the LG? Does it have much bleed through?
The color accuracy is very good and I have noticed no bleed through. My wife complains that it's too dark but I have it set that way to pretty much match my printer output. In this price range, you are making compromises. There is a reason why a company makes two similar monitors with one almost twice the price as the other. If you are going for top performance, then prepare to spend more. I bought mine in Best Buy because I wanted to see what I was buying. On a wall of around 30 monitors, this one and a Dell IPS really stood out. After a good while of looking from different spots and angles, I picked the LG. They were pretty much the same price at the time, around $250.
12-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good budget monitor for photo-editing?

"Color accuracy" will require an sRGB or AdobeRGB color space option within the monitor. I think some of you are missing this point.

This option specifies that the monitor features some level of precalibration to meet the performance requirements for those color spaces.
12-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
"Color accuracy" will require an sRGB or AdobeRGB color space option within the monitor. I think some of you are missing this point.
Yes, I think you're right. The two monitors I'm looking at both use the same panel from LG which covers 95.8% of the sRGB color gamut. I don't think many of the monitors suggested here are designed to meet any color space requirement.

Below is a plot of how the uncalibrated (from factory) Delta-E error compares among some monitors. Notice the HP ZR2440W is a bit better than the Dell U2412M.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr2440w.htm

Last edited by TopherTheME; 12-01-2013 at 11:31 AM.
12-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #12

Color management: Implementation part 2 << Enjoy losing your week to calibration
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ICC_Profiles << No escape if you're on linux, either.

... If you use a mac, I'm sure someone will sell you a perfect solution, too!

If you just want a good calibration target to calibrate a camera, and then monitor, I have had good luck with Wolf Faust's targets from coloraid.de.
12-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I bought the 24" ASUS PA248Q about 6 months ago. Guaranteed color accuracy, viewing from any angle, LED backlit. Four USB ports....and lots more I can't recall.
I was going to buy the Dell Ultra Sharp, but this one had more features. I've been 100% thrilled with it.

Regards!
12-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Rupert's suggestion has great specs. 16:10 is really nice to have.
12-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My monitor recently died and I replaced it with a Benq 27" GW2750HM. It's not IPS, it's VA. Compared to my previous TN monitors, the color is fantastic. I'm not as pleased with the text rendering, but otherwise quite happy. It did need some calibration, OOTB wasn't great. My last two monitors have died after about 18 months (I work at home so mine see heavy use), so I returned to Benq. My last Benq is 10 years old and still looks good. They are firmly in the "budget" segment but a good value, IMO.