Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Corel 75% off software

Ends at midnight...............

Today's offers

12-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, Corel is still in business? Who knew? I was reading Corel is doomed posts long before Pentax is doomed posts.

Anyone use it? What's it like?
12-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Wow, Corel is still in business? Who knew? I was reading Corel is doomed posts long before Pentax is doomed posts.

Anyone use it? What's it like?
Been using Corel for my photos for a few years and just upgraded to Corel PSP X6 yesterday. I still use Photoshop CS4 also (Never upgraded)
12-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've been using PaintShopPro for a number of years as well (moved over around the time of Elements 3). Works well for me, although Lightroom does most of my heavy lifting, I use PSP for cloning, layers, topaz filters etc.

I just did the X6 upgrade earlier this week as well, runs well for me.
Never used full Photoshop, so I can't compare it, but it is alot cheaper, and I can do what I want it to do.

davek

12-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ok scrapped my whole original post after some quick homework. Here is what I found:
For photo editing it would be PSPx6 Ultimate that we would want. It is sold on amazon for $43 plus free shipping so if you don't want the paint thing Corel is offering free in this deal, then buy it off Amazon cheaper.
PSP seems to be the best and most complete in this price range but that doesn't mean it is great.
It is far slower than the horribly overpriced Adobe Photoshop in pretty much every way and there seemed to be a number of users complaining about incompatibility with parts of windows causing installation or operation issues. I also saw a report that the Ultimate version requires an online service and login to actually get those features, and may require a login every time you use the software though I wasn't able to verify that second part.

My verdict is that moving from my free software (Paint.net) to this $43 software is not worth it for me for what I would get.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 12-06-2013 at 12:44 PM.
12-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I can't really say how much slower or faster it is in relation to Photoshop as I just use it. Once I get my results I'm done and move on to the next thing. I'm using the Ultimate version and after the 1st time I opened the program I no longer had to log in. It was just to validate the software......so far I'm fine with the product. It comes with Face Filter 3 but I haven't used that yet.
12-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm using Aftershot Pro. Works great, and only cost me 12 dollars through a online promotion at the time.

12-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately Aftershot Pro cannot read K3 DNGs. Corel Paintshop handles them fine.
12-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Unfortunately Aftershot Pro cannot read K3 DNGs. Corel Paintshop handles them fine.

Reads my DNG's just fine. Have you upgraded?
12-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I have updated. It will read K5 and K5IIs dngs but not K3 dngs. Corel Paintshop reads the K3 dngs but not Aftershot Pro. Literally every other raw capable program I have reads the K3 DNGs - Lightroom, Photo Ninja, Corel Paintshop, PhotoShop Elements, PhotoShop CS6, even windows explorer, but not Aftershot Pro.

Last edited by Mikesul; 12-13-2013 at 06:42 AM.
12-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
I'm using Aftershot Pro. Works great, and only cost me 12 dollars through a online promotion at the time.
Yes, I use AfterShot Pro and enjoy the program a lot. I see where Corel is working on a major upgrade to the program to be issued sometime in 2014.
12-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was reading Corel is doomed posts long before Pentax is doomed posts
Corel is now owned by a private equity firm that buys up "doomed" software publishers like Ulead (DVD software) and Jasc (PaintShop Pro). CorelDRAW was first released for Windows 3.0 if I remember correctly. The days when Michael Cowpland owned and ran Corel out of Ottawa with his flamboyant style (and second wife) are long past. CorelDRAW Graphics Suite is a credible alternative to Creative Studio and there are outstanding digital artists still using it.

AfterShot Pro is one of the latest Corel acquisitions, which only makes sense if Corel wants PSP to work on Macs or to improve its workflow features. The current version of AfterShot doesn't open DNG's from the K-30 either, which suggests that there is a basic flaw in the program that makes it unsuitable for any of Corel's future plans as a standalone program. I have used PSP X4 and it works fine with the K-30, I just prefer Lightroom's approach to working with image files.
12-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Corel is now owned by a private equity firm that buys up "doomed" software publishers like Ulead (DVD software) and Jasc (PaintShop Pro). CorelDRAW was first released for Windows 3.0 if I remember correctly. The days when Michael Cowpland owned and ran Corel out of Ottawa with his flamboyant style (and second wife) are long past. CorelDRAW Graphics Suite is a credible alternative to Creative Studio and there are outstanding digital artists still using it.

AfterShot Pro is one of the latest Corel acquisitions, which only makes sense if Corel wants PSP to work on Macs or to improve its workflow features. The current version of AfterShot doesn't open DNG's from the K-30 either, which suggests that there is a basic flaw in the program that makes it unsuitable for any of Corel's future plans as a standalone program. I have used PSP X4 and it works fine with the K-30, I just prefer Lightroom's approach to working with image files.
Thanks for the informative post. i was aware of these issues in general but I appreciate the detail. I have been around Corel since the Jasc purchase years ago and have always liked the versions of Paintshop Pro but have not used it as much as Lightroom. I purchased Aftershot Pro under their first deep discount offer. I really wanted to use it but the poor or absent support for newer camera's has made it impractical to use it regularly. it is really odd that Paintshop Pro V6 can use K3 DNGs but that the raw processor Aftershot Pro cannot see the K3 DNGs. I really like having multiple programs to try with difficult files and it would be nice to have Aftershot recognize newer dngs.
12-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote

The newest version 1.2 has support for the K-30, K-5II and K-5IIs. No support for the K-3 yet.
12-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
The newest version 1.2
I had installed version 1.1 in September, it's good news for AfterShot Pro users that Corel is still putting money into the program. One of the differences between it and Lightroom is that Lightroom has generic functions to handle DNG files from any source, so even if there isn't a built-in profile for a particular camera model, Lightroom can still open images from it. That universality and flexibility was the whole idea behind the DNG file format.