Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Need advice. Canon Pixma Pro-100 printer and paper recommendations

So I just dropped a couple hundred bucks on a Canon Pro 100 and I'm not getting the results I was expecting. The prints aren't matching what I'm seeing on my screen. I'm really new to photo printing (2 days) I feel like I may be in over my head a little. My monitor has been recently calibrated so I'm assuming thats not the issue. I'm printing from Photoshop CC and letting photoshop handle the color management, however I'm really not sure if I'm doing any of this right. Is there a crash course in photo printing I can read or watch somewhere?

Also, paper: I've read a few things about Canon's paper and profiles not being the best option. Right now I'm using the 50 sheets of canon paper that came with my printer. I was just wondering what kind of paper you guys use and love. Do any of you have specific paper suggestions for this printer? If somebody could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

12-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ap_exclamationpoint Quote
So I just dropped a couple hundred bucks on a Canon Pro 100 and I'm not getting the results I was expecting. The prints aren't matching what I'm seeing on my screen. I'm really new to photo printing (2 days) I feel like I may be in over my head a little. My monitor has been recently calibrated so I'm assuming thats not the issue. I'm printing from Photoshop CC and letting photoshop handle the color management, however I'm really not sure if I'm doing any of this right. Is there a crash course in photo printing I can read or watch somewhere?

Also, paper: I've read a few things about Canon's paper and profiles not being the best option. Right now I'm using the 50 sheets of canon paper that came with my printer. I was just wondering what kind of paper you guys use and love. Do any of you have specific paper suggestions for this printer? If somebody could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

A couple quick settings to check:
  • Make sure your working space in Photoshop is set to something large, like ProPhoto or AdobeRGB
  • Soft proof your image using the ICC profile for the Pro-100 and the paper you're using. I think the stuff included with the printer should be Canon Glossy Photo Paper II
  • Try both perceptual and relative colorimetric rendering intents in your soft proofing. Make sure black point compensation is turned on for both.
  • Make any tonal/vibrance/exposure/contrast adjustments on a layer to bring the soft proofed preview image in line with the image you intended.
  • From the print menu, make sure Photoshop is controlling the color management, and then go into your printer properties. Turn off any automatic enhancements. I have an older Pixma, and there is a menu option that's buried, it has three choices (I'm not at home so I can't look at it) something like "Canon driver" "ICM" and "None". You want "None".
  • Make sure to print with the same rendering intent that you used for soft proofing.
  • Give the ink a couple hours to dry and look at the prints under good lights.
Also, it's important to realize that you monitor emits light, whereas your prints reflect it, it's always going to look a little different. The dynamic range of a print will always be less than that of a monitor, which in turn will be less than the dynamic range of a contrasty real-life scene. Ever stared at the sun and been blinded? Ever stared at a photograph of the sun and been blinded? See what I mean?
12-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My first print after reading that is already infinitely better than the ones I made yesterday. Thank you.
12-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've just started printing with the same printer with beautiful results. This is what I did for starting out then went on to other settings.

Let the printing be controlled by the printer. I'm not familiar with Photoshop CC, but there should be a setting in the print dialog window which asks you to have the program or the printer to manage the settings. Choose the printer.
Then you should have a Page Setup (or printer properties) button that will bring up the Canon printer settings. Go through those 3 tabs to be sure you have selected the right paper etc.

Simple enough. Then as you get accustomed to how everything works, you can delve into different paper and paper profiles etc. The main thing you have to be sure of is that either one or the other is controlling the print job - the software program you are using or the printer.

I've found that when using the Canon paper and Canon inks, it's hard to beat just letting the printer manage the print job.

12-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #5

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but was wondering if someone can give a ballpark figure on how many prints one could expect from one set of Canon ink cartridges for the Pixma Pro 100, printing color and/or b/w? Also, if you've tried any third-party inks, can you address how they compared to the Canon inks and what brand you used?

I posted this question earlier, but didn't get a response, so I though I'd try again while the bargain basement price for the Pixma 100 is still around $100 after rebate. I'm aware it depends on the subject and size of the print one is making, but any information along these lines would be appreciated. I have no experience with printing photos, but the current price seems hard to beat.

Ted
12-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but was wondering if someone can give a ballpark figure on how many prints one could expect from one set of Canon ink cartridges for the Pixma Pro 100, printing color and/or b/w? Also, if you've tried any third-party inks, can you address how they compared to the Canon inks and what brand you used?

I posted this question earlier, but didn't get a response, so I though I'd try again while the bargain basement price for the Pixma 100 is still around $100 after rebate. I'm aware it depends on the subject and size of the print one is making, but any information along these lines would be appreciated. I have no experience with printing photos, but the current price seems hard to beat.

Ted
As far as I know there are no third party inks available for these printers yet. Myself, I wouldn't use them anyway. There is a lot of engineering done to match the Canon inks with the Canon papers. I get such great results that I would not stray from using the OEM inks. I'm sure some other folks would not think the same.

Here is a nice page with costs of printing:

Cost of Inkjet Printing Report Canon PRO-100
12-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #7

Thanks for the insight, stormtech. The report on printing costs was exactly what was needed.

Ted

12-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have the older Pro 9000 Mark II and the ink usage is reasonable. Canon inks, while not cheap, aren't as bad as some others. I take advantage of their specials and order ink online from Canon. While the prices tend to stay up, their specials include free packs of paper with purchases. Buying the individual tanks, the best prices are at Walmart where you will save a couple of bucks.