Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Large Scale Mounting

Not sure where else to put this so I figured this is the best place as it relates to prints.

I have run into a conundrum. I have started printing just about everything. No standard formatting size of course, over 450 8x12's, 50 12x18's, 25 18x24's and over a dozen 24x36. At least the 24x36's are pretty standard sizes, but the biggest problem I am having are the LARGE scale panoramas. By large I mean 16x120 and 24x96 large. The are going to get even bigger at 24x180. I am saving the 24x180 until I can get one problem solved...... I am struggling to figure out how exactly to mount these monstrosities. Seriously, I used a 12x115 as a trial image and mounted it directly to a giant piece of timber, but getting timber as perfectly straight as the print is naturally impossible. So, I'm still at square 1 wondering what to do and how to do it. I thought about contacting a steel company and getting sheets of steel cut to these sizes, but a sheet of steel that large is going to be terribly heavy and not rigid enough to promote the longevity of the images.

So, now that I have all of these images laying around, I am looking for ways to mount them. Hopefully someone here has some experience with prints this large or perhaps maybe someone has some ideas. Let me know, I'm all ears......... well, not really do have a set of eyes and a nose too.....

12-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Picture Framing - Lee Valley Tools - Woodworking Tools, Gardening Tools, Hardware Supplies

12-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Its not the framing part Im concerned about, its what do mount a 10, 15, and 20ft image to?
12-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjeling Quote
Let me know, I'm all ears
Question: where will these big pieces be displayed? Some communities have code regs that may even extend to private residences, or require insurance inspection. Do you expect to have them covered with plexi? If I can remember, there are some semi-standard ways to mount these for safety. I would suggest you contact local museums and galleries, ask them who they recommend for their large art piece prep, and then talk with the vendor.

If this is your own private hanging, the price may be way out there, but the information you gain will be worthy.

M

12-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you considered printing on canvas and stretching on standard stretcher bars?
12-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
As of now these are for my own personal collection/display and eventual gallery where they may or may not be available for sale. As far as covering them in plexi-glass, I have not considered doing that, although with these larger pieces I might just for the protection. The reason I do not want to cover them is the same reason they are not getting printed onto canvass which is viewer experience. It is in my opinion that if these were printed on canvass the overall sharpness of the image is reduced as well as the impact the images have. Likewise, any interference with that view will also have a negative impact as well, such as plexi-glass. Although museum glass would be nice, getting a single piece 20ft long might be a little unreasonable. Our museum here in town is known nationally and they are my next contact in all honesty, and there is no doubt in my mind they will be able to help me out, however, the plan was to contact them after it was all done. Maybe they will want to display them, maybe not, but either way I will have a home for them myself. In the meantime this is where I am at.
12-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might just for the protection
That is the core reason to cover prints made on conventional paper media--protection from the sun's rays as well as unidentified flying objects (stuff happens). You have to balance the cost, the presentation interference, and how much hassle, cost and time it would cost you to replace any of the pieces. What are the photographs printed on and with what ink?

M

12-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Miguel,
I wish I could answer those questions. To me a giant piece of paper and ink. ?????? Honestly, I told them to use the best of what they had without using metallic paper. Couldn't even tell you how many ink cartridges they use in the printer. What I do know is the prints look fantastic and there is nothing I could see doing that to improve them. It still blows my mind to see one of my images this big, and they haven't even been mounted yet.....
12-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me a giant piece of paper and ink
I think it would be better to know the specific printing process, ink type, and paper so you can gauge the permanence factors (some ink and paper and other repro processes are rated for longevity). Then you can adapt your framing and mounting practices accordingly. You really don't want to set the stage for your permanently mounted prints to fade in three years, right? (I was a professional picture framer a couple of lifetimes ago; I've also curated art shows).

M
12-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You cannot have a paper print uncovered or unprotected; it will not last very long even under the best conditions. Moisture, dust, pollen, mold all will take a toll.

If you print on matte paper then you can spay coat it with a protective layer that will be invisible but it will seal the print. Glossy papers are not that good for spray coating. They will also show reflections so you will have other issues to consider there.

For large prints you cannot use thin glass or Plexiglas because it will bend and create all sorts of distorted reflections. You are probably looking at 1/4 inch thickness that makes glass very heavy and difficult (and dangerous) to handle and work with it. Plexiglas will still be heavy also but it is a lot safer. Any frame you will use must be heavily reinforced to hold the weight. Some time ago we did 2 pieces for an office environment, one 24" x 72" and the other 44" x 60" both framed with 1/4 Plexi. We needed 3 people to lift and a large van to transport.

Another option to consider is to use Gatorfoam for backing and double-sided film to adhere the paper print on it. It must be done in cold laminator place where they have the equipment to do it without air bubbles. This approach is particularly useful if you are willing to slice the long panorama into panels and create a frameless installation with several smaller (and easier to handle) pieces.
12-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #11

In addition to covering the print with plexiglas, you also could use it for mounting your panoramas as it will provide a perfectly smooth surface. You can buy plexiglas from from places like eplastics.com in lengths up to 144", but it's not inexpensive, and perhaps other suppliers could provide you with even longer lengths. Another possibility for a smooth mounting material would be hardboard (Masonite is one brand name). It's available at home centers in 4 x 8' sheets. Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) is another possibility. Perhaps a full service lumber dealer in your area could special order Masonite or MDF in lengths longer than 8'.
12-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Not sure where else to put this so I figured this is the best place as it relates to prints.

I have run into a conundrum. I have started printing just about everything. No standard formatting size of course, over 450 8x12's, 50 12x18's, 25 18x24's and over a dozen 24x36. At least the 24x36's are pretty standard sizes, but the biggest problem I am having are the LARGE scale panoramas. By large I mean 16x120 and 24x96 large. The are going to get even bigger at 24x180. I am saving the 24x180 until I can get one problem solved...... I am struggling to figure out how exactly to mount these monstrosities. Seriously, I used a 12x115 as a trial image and mounted it directly to a giant piece of timber, but getting timber as perfectly straight as the print is naturally impossible. So, I'm still at square 1 wondering what to do and how to do it. I thought about contacting a steel company and getting sheets of steel cut to these sizes, but a sheet of steel that large is going to be terribly heavy and not rigid enough to promote the longevity of the images.

So, now that I have all of these images laying around, I am looking for ways to mount them. Hopefully someone here has some experience with prints this large or perhaps maybe someone has some ideas. Let me know, I'm all ears......... well, not really do have a set of eyes and a nose too.....
Plaque mounting (sometimes also called block mounting) is a common process for large images- often used for museum exhibits. The print is dry mounted on high quality particle board and laminated with a UV/moisture protective film. Permanence is very good if done properly. It is more affordable than conventional framing. The process is very flexible in terms of image size and proportions, although I couldn't say whether it is readily available for sizes larger than 4x8 feet. Costs me about $60 for a 24x36 print.

One tip- the process often uses a groove routered in the back for hanging purposes. This wears badly if a picture is repeatedly re-hung. I recommend having the framer install wire on the back, as you would see on standard picture frames.
12-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nice site for the acrylic. I will be checking that out. Mounting it directly to the acrylic is OK with me as it will give it the "floating" look. I might use two pieces and just sandwich the print as well. Thanks again guys.