Panasonic DMC-GM1
Pentax K-3
Phase One IQ260
Phase One IQ280
Sony A7 (ILCE-7)
Sony A7R (ILCE-7R)
Sony DSC-RX10

Bugs Corrected in Lightroom 5.3
  • Issues when upgrading catalog from previous versions of Lightroom.
  • Incorrect photos are displayed after switching away from a Publish Collection.
  • Catalog optimization did not finish, and was not optimizing the catalog
  • Feather of clone spots is set to 0 after upgrading catalog to Lightroom 5.
  • Auto White Balance settings are not saved to Snapshots.
  • Sony 18-55mm lens is detected as the Hasselblad 18-55mm lens for lens correction.
  • Increased Update Spot Removal history steps when in Before and After view.
  • Slideshows start playing automatically even when the Manual Slideshow option is enabled.
  • On certain images, red eye removal behaved incorrectly
  • Incorrect White Balance settings applied when synching Auto WB from source to targets
  • Video playback stops when dragging on the scrubber.
  • Errors when publishing photos to Flickr through the Publish Service.
  • Option + drag on Edit Pin behavior is functioning incorrectly.
  • Black border appears around the exported slideshow video.
  • Catalog containing images processed with PV2003 were adding a post-crop vignette when catalog upgraded to Lightroom 5.
  • Pressing the “Reset” button while holding down the Shift key caused Lightroom to exit abruptly.
  • Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction were not applied to exported images that were resized to less than 1/3 of the original image size.
  • The Esc key did not exit the slideshow after right clicking screen with mouse during slideshow playing.
  • Import dialog remained blank for folders that contain PNG files with XMP sidecars.
  • Metadata panel displayed incorrect information after modifying published photo. Please note that this only occurred when metadata was changed after the photo was published.
  • In the metadata of exported files, the application is listed as 5.0 instead of the actual Lightroom version (such as 5.2, etc.).
  • An Error Occurs When Playing a slideshow having an image Flipped Horizontally or Vertically.

Added Camera Matching color profiles (Natural, Muted, Portrait, Vivid) for the following Olympus cameras:
Olympus E-5
Olympus E-M1
Olympus E-M5
Olympus E-P1
Olympus E-P2
Olympus E-P3
Olympus E-P5
Olympus E-PL1
Olympus E-PL1s
Olympus E-PL2
Olympus E-PL3
Olympus E-PL5
Olympus E-PL6
Olympus E-PM1
Olympus E-PM2
Olympus STYLUS 1
Olympus XZ-1
Olympus XZ-2
Olympus XZ-10

12-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Dang it! And WHEN are they ever going to add true support for Pentax?!
i.e. Camera Matching Color Profiles!

Until then, i'm so sorry Adobe...
I appreciate your software and i am using it since LR 4 but no way will i support you with a single cent until you do so..
12-12-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
It is strange isn't it. Even some of the Olympus point and shoots get profiles.
Perhaps Olympus did the work for Adobe, or have a better [commercial?] relationship with Adobe than Ricoh.

In the same vein, still no Pentax tethering support in Lightroom, even though entry-level Canon's get it ....
12-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote

Until then, i'm so sorry Adobe...
I appreciate your software and i am using it since LR 4 but no way will i support you with a single cent until you do so..
I don't really care if there are multiple profiles. That is why you have presets. As long as the software isn't going to keep giving weird white balances to the RAW files when you open them, I'm good with it.

12-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction were not applied to exported images that were resized to less than 1/3 of the original image size.
I thought this was fixed already. The app was useless for most of the LR users who posted shots on the web. I'm glad I've held off installing V5. . .until now.

M
12-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I thought this was fixed already.
It seems to have worked for me with v5.2. I mean, I could see it happening (sharpening and NR) in front of me.

Perhaps there were some specific usage cases where those parameters were not applied.
12-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It seems to have worked for me with v5.2. I mean, I could see it happening (sharpening and NR) in front of me.

Perhaps there were some specific usage cases where those parameters were not applied.
I thought they had fixed it in v5.2 but haven't had first hand experience to verify. Since this bug was limited to exported images, I wonder if seeing the sharpening & NR applied in Develop is relevant. . . But if you are satisfied with your smaller exports, than that is the test that LR passed.

M
12-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
if you are satisfied with your smaller exports, than that is the test that LR passed.
That's exactly what I saw. Not just while I was tweaking away in Develop mode, but also in my 1024px wide exports. I set some output sharpening options in v5.2, and they showed up in the resulting images. Some pix related, from the K-3 samples thread:

Anyway, if they stomped this bug across all usage scenarios in v5.3, that's a good thing.

12-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What I gave never understood , bit off topic, is why you have the option to select a sharpening type and level in the export dialog when you would have sharpened manually while editing?
I only tried adding a sharpen for screen option once and it completely screwed up the images by vastly over sharpening
12-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
What I gave never understood , bit off topic, is why you have the option to select a sharpening type and level in the export dialog when you would have sharpened manually while editing?
I only tried adding a sharpen for screen option once and it completely screwed up the images by vastly over sharpening
Because LR follows the three-phase sharpening model developed by the late Bruce Fraser.
It is a good one.

M
12-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I know Bruce Fraser advocated a 2 or 3-step sharpening approach: Capture, Creative, and Output Specific sharpening and that capture sharpening is best performed on the raw data to counteract the effects of your camera's anti-aliasing filter but that does not explain why i find that if I use the aforementioned last step it over sharpens the image so badly it is unusable , not only to a fussy photographer but also to the great unwashed public.
12-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adobe should make this support as easy as possible, and camera makers should contribute to it as much as they can, to get ACR support out quickly. It's a gift to the early adopters who raced out to buy the first cameras, knowing they have firmware v. 1.0, knowing they may be test subjects for manufacturing issues, yet buying anyway. They create the early opinion about a new camera, good or bad. Even a preliminary profile that could be tweaked later is nice. Not that I have any influence at Adobe or Ricoh.
12-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

i find that if I use the aforementioned last step it over sharpens the image so badly it is unusable , not only to a fussy photographer but also to the great unwashed public.
Output sharpening is intended to work best when the capture sharpening in Develop's Detail panels is set optimally; that's a paraphrase from Jeff Schewe. Perhaps you had oversharpened the image in Develop?

I only tried adding a sharpen for screen option once
Perhaps you need a tad more experience prior to making pronouncements. Try output sharpening a second time and a third.

Lightroom has its flaws indeed, but output sharpening for screen is not one that I've heard many complaints about during my use since V 1.0.

M
12-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't really care if there are multiple profiles. That is why you have presets. As long as the software isn't going to keep giving weird white balances to the RAW files when you open them, I'm good with it.
Agreed! But i get confused when trying to create presets to match my Custom Camera Profile (bright, neutral, etc).
Kinda tiring to have to manually adjust sliders to get it to match with the JPEG, when in fact all i wanna do is pull the highlights or shadows, that's it...

Say, would you be kind enough to share your presets for the various Camera Profiles?
12-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Come on you've all missed the really important stuff with this new release... "New Lens Profile Support in Lightroom 5.3 for Apple iPhone 5s".

We can all stop using all this DSLR kit nonsense now.