Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #16

Original Poster
For IchabodCrane - I currently have a K5 (and a G12) and dabble with Aperture 3.4.5. plus Elements 11 for editing. I have my own method of file mangement which is Adobe / Apple etc. indepedent. From the various comments so far that software should keep me going in the short term even with a K3, as I prefer to do my editing before pressing the shutter rather than on a computer. Lightroom 4 is tempting. However from all the comments about the need for power, I think that a Computer upgrade now needs to come sooner rather than later, upgrading / replacing essential software only if and when necessary. With new machines moving to 64 bit this might include more than I would like! My serious consideration of Lightroom is to do with it being my Camera Club standard, which gives me access to a wider range of expertise than Aperture. It is also "platform independent" should I ever need to use Windows machine. However not changing software also has its merits. It is now, I think time for me to take time out and consider what is the best way to go.

12-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find LR 4 and 5 about the same when it comes to speed and requirements but LR3 is much faster loading pics and similar on my computer. So if the test version of LR5 doesn't run well try to buy a (genuine, beware of fakes) LR3 version from somebody.
12-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I believe as of yesterday Lightroom went to version 5.3 that now supports K-3 natively.
12-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A coupe of observations…..

Adobe ripped me off, but that's my problem not yours…
Adobe software tends to use old hardware much better than Apple software.
Adobe code was started when processors were small and tight efficient code was a must. Apple code is written with a minimum of machine code , and will run sluggishly at times on anything but an 8 or 12 core Power Mac.
Apple software is updated incessantly. WIth Aperture the upgrades are free, but, the software is designed to run on the high end iMacs. You pretty much have to buy the best iMac you can for it to run smoothly. Especially with K-3 files.
iPhoto will keep you happy for a while, but it lacks the tools you need for processing RAW files.

As mentioned, we don' know what camera you're using. If you're using anything less than a K-5, I'd go for a K-5IIs and put the left over money into a computer. But, I also wouldn't buy any Mac for processing with less than a 27 inch screen. We do have a new i7 Mac mini we use when travelling.. because everyone we visit seems to have an old monitor we can borrow in the basement these days. But these things are expensive.

So long story short, if you're ready to drop 2k on a top of the line iMAC with 8Gb memory installed and a video card with a minimum 1Gb on board memory, then go Apple and Aperture. You can get away with less of course, but even Apple people will tell you that's the minimum set up Aperture is designed to run well on. It will run on lesser machines, and I have it installed on a machine like yours… but no one in his right mind would process more than 10 files at a sitting with it on that machine. You wait more than you work.

My advice, take the advice of folks here, run the last version of Lightroom that will run on your machine, only I'd add get a K5IIs and start saving for a new computer.