Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #1

Aperture v Lightroom for Pentax K3

Which do members feel is best for image processing, PARTICULARILY for dealing with noise and moire and underexposure in RAW and JPEG pictures ex the Pentax K3. I currently have a slightly aging iMac running on 10.7.5 with 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM on a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo but I am hoping to be able upgrade it sometime in 2014 if I behave myself!

12-12-2013, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since most members here use Window$ you will here Lightroom a lot. I know that Norm will post to this thread that Adobe ripped him off twice and will never get another dime

Download a trial of Lightroom and see if you are comfortable with it. Sadly, there is no longer a trial of Aperture available. Aperture is a Mac program, Lightroom is a Window$ program ported to the Mac.

One problem with Aperture right now is that DNG files from the K-3 are not currently supported right out of the camera by Apple's RAW compatibility. You have to convert them with Adobe DNG converter. It is probably something to do with the way the K-3 deals with white balance.

You can also try Darktable. It is open source and free.

Last edited by boriscleto; 12-12-2013 at 06:53 AM.
12-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

2GB is on the low end at least for Lightroom, I upgraded from 4 to 8GB to get some decent performance on my Acer Laptop.
12-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lochness Quote
Which do members feel is best for image processing, PARTICULARILY for dealing with noise and moire and underexposure in RAW and JPEG pictures ex the Pentax K3. I currently have a slightly aging iMac running on 10.7.5 with 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM on a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo but I am hoping to be able upgrade it sometime in 2014 if I behave myself!
Two issues really: more RAM and software evaluation.

Try Iridient Developer. Probably the best Raw developer for Macs, though I'm a diehard LR guy. I would recommend you trial both of these and compare your results with Aperture. Iridient has K-3 profile. Noise in the K-3 isn't anything out of the ordinary, especially compared with some Canon files, so I fail to see where this requires special attention. Moire should be unusual and in specific situations. If you find yourself with a lot of moire in shots, then you need to either jack up the anti-moire in-camera setting, use a filtered camera, or change your subject.

M

12-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The main problem you will have with Aperture right now is RAM. The iMac you have can only address 3 GB. Also, the graphics chipset does not support OpenCL. With 2 GB RAM you will most likely go insane trying to use it.
12-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
Forum Member

You will definitely want to upgrade your computer before running Aperture. I use it and I would recommend having at least 8GB of ram, especially if you are working with larger files, like the RAW files from the K-3. As previously mentioned, Aperture currently does not support the K-3 RAW files, but I've used Adobe DNG converter with no issues. It just adds an extra step. Hopefully it won't be too long before Apple adds support for the K-3.

I really haven't spent very much time with Lightroom, so I can't comment on it, but I really like the file management in Aperture. ApertureExpert is a great resource, check it out.
12-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are you using now for image processing and file management?

12-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
also think about if you're staying with apple, or thinking about going to the dark side, aperture is (obviously) apple only. Whereas lightroom is cross platform. Personally i use aperture, i like the way it integrates with iphoto, and time machine backup is a huge plus.

i haven't used lightroom before though, so i can't really make a comparison
12-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to everybody for their advice. It now looks as if I am going to have to replace by 7.5 year old iMac before proceeding any further......a pity as it is still going strong and, despite it taking longer to do some tasks with more recent verions of software, it still meets most of my needs. Patience in this is definitely a virtue and currentl the more cost effective option. So here is a followup question. If you had funds to buy only one or the other, which would you go for... a new iMac (or Windows equivalent if that is your chosen platform) or a K3 or neither? Constraints such as a spouse who does not fuly appreciate the "need" for either or impecunious children (are there any other types?) may be taken into consideration: but then should also be the pleasure of festive giving. Hope everybody will have a really happy Christmas and a peaceful and a fruitful (in the broadest sense) 2014.
12-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

download a test version of lightroom
12-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks to everybody for their advice. It now looks as if I am going to have to replace by 7.5 year old iMac before proceeding any further......a pity as it is still going strong and, despite it taking longer to do some tasks with more recent verions of software, it still meets most of my needs. Patience in this is definitely a virtue and currentl the more cost effective option. So here is a followup question. If you had funds to buy only one or the other, which would you go for... a new iMac (or Windows equivalent if that is your chosen platform) or a K3 or neither? Constraints such as a spouse who does not fuly appreciate the "need" for either or impecunious children (are there any other types?) may be taken into consideration: but then should also be the pleasure of festive giving. Hope everybody will have a really happy Christmas and a peaceful and a fruitful (in the broadest sense) 2014.
I don't think you have the right decision choices. If your Mac can run Lion, then why don't you simply get more RAM and maybe a larger hard drive? And then a K-3

M
12-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I don't think you have the right decision choices. If your Mac can run Lion, then why don't you simply get more RAM and maybe a larger hard drive? And then a K-3

M
His iMac can't use more RAM. The firmware isn't 64-bit clean, so it can only address 3 GB, and it doesn't have an OpenCL compatible graphics chip. Those 2 things are necessary to run Aperture well.

Lightroom probably won't run very well either, but at least you can download a trial version to see if it works well enough for now.
12-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
His iMac can't use more RAM. The firmware isn't 64-bit clean, so it can only address 3 GB, and it doesn't have an OpenCL compatible graphics chip. Those 2 things are necessary to run Aperture well.
yup, the model year right after it is basically the same spec wise, but has a 64 bit efi and can address 8GB
12-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Boris for the clarification. I find it hard to keep up with all the iMac iterations.
To the OP: get LR v 4.x which should run on your machine. V 5 is not a major upgrade. You will be able to process K-3 files if saved as DNG.
When you outgrow LR 4, then get a new Mac.

M
12-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing that since you didn't answer my earlier question, you don't do any digital photo processing and file management now? If true, you don't have any linkage to the iPhoto/Aperture way of doing things and so you're free to go in any software direction without extra work. For practical purposes, though, your computer is significantly underpowered for any digital processing of K-3 files and unfortunately there's isn't a modification path that can change that. What is your current camera?