Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

DNG K20D (differences in types of?)

I am using Lightroom 1.3.1 on Mac (didn't jump on the 1.4 upgrade while it was briefly up)...

My question is... what type of DNG gives better results in this workflow (if any?) When I shoot DNG from the cam, I get a file about 23.1mb, when I shoot PEF and save the PEF as a DNG out of Pentax Browser, I get a file about 30.4mb, that same PEF converted into a DNG, using Adobe DNG converter (which can queue and do batch) the resulting DNG files are the same size as the PEF, around 13mb. Is Pentax Browser adding anything to the file, or converting it intermediary before making a PEF? Just curious...

Brian

04-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot PEF and use the Adobe converter to get my DNG. Smallest file on the card, smallest file on the HD. There is no difference in the image portion of the file, only in the compression used. The Pentax software may be embedding the PEF into the DNG. Not sure, but that file size seems really high so that might be why. I can't stand the Pentax software so I don't even have it loaded on my computer.
04-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I shoot PEF and use the Adobe converter to get my DNG. Smallest file on the card, smallest file on the HD. There is no difference in the image portion of the file, only in the compression used. The Pentax software may be embedding the PEF into the DNG. Not sure, but that file size seems really high so that might be why. I can't stand the Pentax software so I don't even have it loaded on my computer.
OK, thank you, I appreciate your response. One less piece of software, on less step, saves time and HD space.

Makes perfect sense.

I wasn't even thinking that the larger DNG out of Pentax Browser might be because the original PEF is getting embedded. I remember now that Adobe DNG converter gives you the option to embed the original RAW in the DNG as well resulting in a larger DNG.

Thanks
Brian
04-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I saw a timeshifting problem (somehow, the wrong time was written in the PEF conversion) -- have you seen this problem?

04-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The windows version of the Adobe Converter 4.4 was broken. It was recalled just like Lightroom 1.4. They are supposed to be releasing a 4.4.1 in the very near future to correct the problem. I had thought it would be out by now. I think Adobe is spending too much time on Lightroom 2, which I am not even interested in. They should fix current programs before working on new ones.
04-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
^I work on a mac, where I saw the timeshift problem with Adobe DNG Converter 4.4.
04-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Really? Adobe claimed that the problem was isolated to the Windows version. I am also on a Mac and haven't noticed a change in time stamp with my K20, but I think I did with my K10 the other day. I wrote it off as user error at the time, but will have to check it more carefully now. Odd that I got the error with the earlier camera and not the newer one.

04-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Scroll down to the March 16th Entry:

Lightroom Journal

They speak of an EXIF Time Stamp Error in Lightroom and also in Camera Raw. They didn't mention the EXIF Time Stamp Error in DNG Converter specifically, but since it was a part of the same release, I'm thinking it is using part of the same code. Anyway, I am using the previous version of DNG Converter and don't notice a time stamp error.
04-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh, yes, and it does seem strange that they would be spending so much energy on a new version (2.0) at the same time as an upgrade to the current version. I can't imagine how that team can go in two different directions at the same time, seems like it would make more sense, if they want to spend time to come up with a new version (2.0) is to offer a simple update to the current version that keeps everything relatively the same, but just fixes bugs and adds support for the newer cameras.
05-03-2008, 04:32 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by a a i b Quote
^I work on a mac, where I saw the timeshift problem with Adobe DNG Converter 4.4.
Same here. Mac Leopard, DNG Converter 4.4.1. The image time goes wrong for 6 hours....