Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #1

ACDSee Pro 6: Batch Adjust Exposure probs

Hi,

I wonder if anyone here has had this difficulty with ACDSee Pro 6. I think that's Windows only, right? Mine is running on a Lenovo Thinkpad 510--a few years old, running Windows 7.

Though I've been using the software for about a year, I hadn't tried using the Batch Adjust Exposure function. Recently, I wanted to do so. I am shooting with both a K-5 and a K-30. I am unable to access the Batch Adjust Exposure option for either PEF and DNG RAW files. (the option is grayed out and can't be selected.) Batch Develop IS available, but not Batch Adjust Exposure. This function (and all other batch functions) ARE available using JPG files, but I shoot mostly RAW.

I opened a tech support case about six weeks ago. I was asked to send a few files, which I did, then heard nothing for over a month (despite a couple follow-ups from me). I sent another inquiry earlier this week and the same technician that asked me to send the files responded that they have not been able to re-create the problem, but they're working on it.

I'm really bummed that apparently ACDSee took down their old forum. I know it was a wealth of information, but now it's gone. If anyone has any insight about how to resolve this problem with the software, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks much.

12-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you're going to have to use Batch Develop. Create a preset first in develop and save it. When you click Batch Develop you should be able to select that preset and apply the settings to your images.
Some of the tools in ACDSee work only on JPG and Tiff files.
As for ACDSee saying they couldn't duplicate the problem.......they lied
12-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just tested it in ACDSe Pro 6 and I can select a PEF (K-x PEF) and select 'Batch Develop'. It will ask me to select the preset I want to apply.
I think a quicker way is to develop one picture. From the 'Develop' tab, select 'copy settings' by right-clicking the image and then go back to the 'Manager' tab and select the images you want and right-click, select 'Process-Paste Settings'
You can also paste from the 'Develop' tab. Just my preference.
12-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
I think you're going to have to use Batch Develop. Create a preset first in develop and save it. When you click Batch Develop you should be able to select that preset and apply the settings to your images.
Some of the tools in ACDSee work only on JPG and Tiff files.
As for ACDSee saying they couldn't duplicate the problem.......they lied
Thanks to you both, thazoo and 7samurai. I appreciate the quick responses. Just to close the loop on my original question, did either of you happen to try selecting one or more RAW files and then trying to access the Batch Adjust Exposure. I did see that I could select Batch Develop, but Batch Adjust Exposure was greyed out and unavailable.

I'm still relatively new to post-processing.I had about 1200 pictures of big black dogs in various outdoor lighting (link: here). I wanted to do some groupings / mods to the images based on exposure and thought the Adjust Exposure function would help. I can (and did, in many cases) use the work-around of copying and pasting settings, but got a little frustrated in that no two images--well, maybe two--were alike. From a workflow standpoint, I guess I could try processing in "steps"; adjust exposure to a group of images first, then going back and fine-tuning other variables. Maybe next time...

Anyway, thank you both--I really appreciate you checking it out for me. Now maybe I can work for ACDSee since together we seem to know more than they do.

12-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tried what you asked and it was Greyed Out. That's why I said they Lied about not duplicating it
ACDSee support isn't the greatest when you need an answer. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum and can supply answers.
ACDSee says they'll try to get the old forum up as an achive, wait and see.
12-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was curious about this so I tried what I usually do for batch edits. I selected 3 PEF images, then selected Batch > Batch Edit. In that window there are all kinds of adjustments available including exposure adjustment.

Just trying to figure out what the difference would be doing it this way vs. the Batch Adjust.

Oh and by the way, the Batch Adjust is grayed out with me also.
12-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks thazoo and stormtech! You've been more help in 24 hours than ACDSee was in 6 weeks!

Now, maybe you can help me with one more question. Can I / How do I upgrade between versions of ACDSee Pro 6? I purchased a used K5 II and need an update. According to Release notes, I'd need the next more recent version than the one I have.

Thanks again!

12-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pro 6 works fine with my K-5IIs which should be the same as the K-5II. My version is 6.3 build 221. You may need to update your Pro 6 to the latest version. There is a "check for updates" menu item under the Help menu.

Or you could upgrade to Pro 7, but that will cost you $60.
12-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks stormtech. I think my build is 6.1 and Release Notes say I need to go to 6.2 for the K5 II. I'm not at that computer right now but I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks again.