Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Darktable 1.4 released

Darktable 1.4 was released yesterday.

It is packed with all sorts of goodies. Masks, brushes, etc.

If you are on linux and looking for the best free RAW processing software look no further.

The learning curve is a little steep. But it is a very powerful tool.

K-3 is not supported yet. But DNG files should be fine.

Culture.

12-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
One of my favorites "underrated" improvements is the addition of a contrast/brightness/saturation tool, playing with exposition/black level/color correction was not really the same. But there's more
01-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
K-3 is not supported yet. But DNG files should be fine.
yesterday i provided a k-3 de-noise profile to the git master.

another nice feature is the focus identification in lighttable
mode (ctrl-Z on an image in lighttable).

greetings,
tx0h
01-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really wished they had picked some other key combo than CTRL-Z for the focus ID which has been used forever as undo in GIMP. Otherwise this is a solid release.

Jack

01-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, an erratum for my last post - the darktable developers said that they changed the focus zone shortcut to shift-z from ctrl-z before 1.4 release because they knew there would be a mutiny otherwise.

Jack
01-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Actually, an erratum for my last post - the darktable developers said that they changed the focus zone shortcut to shift-z from ctrl-z before 1.4 release because they knew there would be a mutiny otherwise.

Jack
Haahaaa. That was funny.
01-31-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've been trying to wrap my head around darktable for the last week. The number of options and controls are a bit overwhelming. Does anyone know of a darktable for lightroom users guide or tutorial?

I had to compile darktable 1.4 from source to get it to run on Debian wheezy. Works fine though. There are instructions at the bottom of the Ubuntu section of their install page but *not* in the Debian section.

I'm going to spend a big chunk of time this weekend trying to reproduce in darktable some of my images that were processed in lightroom. I'm hoping that will help me get a handle on the new software.

01-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The v1.4 manual is here. And it is mandatory reading, IMHO.

darktable 1.4 | user manual | darktable

This is very powerful software with lots of controls. I have been going through the new mask functionality lately and I am very impressed at what you can now do. The manual mentions dt equivalents of common LR functions such as clarity, etc.

Jack
01-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I read the manual a few days ago cover to cover. What I am really hoping to find is a "In lightroom tool X does this. The equivalent tool in darktable is Y and it works like this."
02-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Is there any plan to port this project to windows at any point in the not to distant future?
02-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alas, Mike, the dt developers have no time (or desire) to devote to porting it to Windows. That does not prevent somebody else from doing it, though. It is released under an open source license after all.

Jack
02-02-2014, 01:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Homo_erectus - I think this will come eventually. There has been work afoot to develop scripts that translate Lightroom profiles to dt format so there is interest out there.

Jack
02-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I spent last night watching a bunch of the tutorial videos from here and between that and lots of experimentation I'm feeling a lot more comfortable.
02-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Alas, Mike, the dt developers have no time (or desire) to devote to porting it to Windows. That does not prevent somebody else from doing it, though. It is released under an open source license after all.

Jack
I just switched to using LR instead of Picasa and that lends itself towards using Photoshop instead of Gimp which is a switch I am not really looking forward to when I have the time to spend on doing some editing. It would be so awesome if DT came to windows so I could stay with DT and Gimp.
02-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Or perhaps you could go to Linux and
QuoteQuote:
stay with DT and Gimp