Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Colors IE vs Firefox?

Allright, not sure if I post this in the right section and even how to discribe the problem...

A few days ago I purchased a new monitor. Tweaked it by hand a little to match my old monitor`s settings (same brand, 2 generations older) but I couldn`t get it right for my taste. Today I was able to borrow a Spider4pro for calibration and allthough a little too dark at first (think I blew the ambient light measurement), colors in LR and viewing images in Windows looked good. Until I got back on Flickr...The colors were awefull, really dull and still somewhat greenish, allmost like pictures with a wrong colorspace (like AdobeRGB on the web)

So I started wondering what the problem could be? I developed some pictures, looked at the endresult in LR, PS and Windows, making sure they looked generally the same as I had developed them and had the proper colorspace (sRGB) for the web. Then I did some replacements on Flickr but to my surprise the new JPG`s would look identically bad once uploaded. After some googling I got a clue about colors in different browsers and opened up one of my upload`s to Flickr in 2 different browsers.

The result was shocking:

1472x880 on Flickr

In the past (e.g. until last week, with the old LCD) I haven`t had this colordifference in FF. Is this usererror, something to blame on the LCD or indeed a difference in colorhandling by different browsers?

Kind regars, Jacco

12-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know the answer to this one (even though I work for a web development company!) but I'm very interested.
Also I have to say thats a nice shot!

I'm running Firefox and Chrome under Linux (mint) and I can confirm that the colours look right in my environment (compared to natively viewing the image). Have not tried IE.

So if you view the image with a native image viewer you are saying that Firefox is all washed out? Might be a Windows thing (MS breaking Firefox)???
Would be worth trying Chrome too.
12-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not a IE user, but it may not be color managed. Some versions of FF are color managed out of the box; others require you to set it using about:config. Google this for details.

M
12-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You might want to check out this old thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/5...-profiles.html

12-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am old school, test and verify. Three places:
Browser color management test ICC (International Color Consortium) better yet: Is your system ICC Version 4 ready?
Web browser color management test
Zenfolio | Simon Tindemans | Web browser color management

You should have a color calibrated monitor, using your Mark I eyeball will not cut it.

FYI:
Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64
IE 11 version 11.0.9600.16476 update 11.0.2
Icore 7 at 3.0 GHz
24GB RAM
Not so good NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Samsung - SyncMaster S24B300 (Analog) - because I am running through a 4 port KVM. (Half of my machines are old and do not support DVI or HDMI)
Calibration - ColorMunki Photo.

SW used for image work:
Capture One v7.1.6 x64
Lightroom v5.3 x64
Phase One Media Pro v1.4.1.67995

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
01-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input.

The colordifference is solved: LCD and Spyder4 color temp were both set to 6500K (which is good) but AMD`s CCC (grapics card software) for my HD7950 was set to 5000K and that`s what messed things up.
There is still a difference between FF and IE but it`s nowhere that big anymore.