Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo review

Okay, so, for starters, I am a Windows user (Windows 7 64bit), I don't know if I am the only one encountering this problem or not, but whenever I try to view my photos (full size) in Windows Photo Viewer, it is literally slower than any other task that I have ever done, I don't imagine that I am the only one who has ever encountered this problem, and with that said, anyone have any solutions? I am assuming a third party photo viewer, but no idea which one, I am looking for something of really high quality, something that you'd find in a professional photo studio if possible.

Now before any of you say it is the computer itself here is what I got:
AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE (@3.6GHz)
EVGA GeForce GTX 560ti SuperClocked
3x WD XE Enterprise grade drives (@ 2tb each)
8gbs Corsair Vengeance RAM @1600

And before anyone says it is the hard disk, these are brand new 7200 RPM disks, but I also checked this out on a different computer and I have the same problem even from an SSD.
I have this problem if the photo file is on the computer or on the SD card (I am using a SanDisk Extreme PRO SDHC memory card, rated to 95MB/s (I tested this and have an average read/write speed of 115MB/s) and I have a good card reader).
I have no clue what is going on, but it is becoming a huge problem, and really is causing me to lose interest in taking photos if I can't even view them on my PC in a reasonable amount of time. I need a fix to this and fast if possible. Also, if it helps I am using the K-5 writing at 16MP in Adobe DNG full Adobe and sRGB formats.

Any help you guys can provide me with would be a godsend. Thanks in advance!

01-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try Faststone Image Viewer. Free to use and a nice program for viewing with RAW or JPG.
If you want to buy a program, general consensus here seems to be Lightroom.....
01-04-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
NKK
Inactive Account

+ 1 for Faststone Image Viewer for viewer/browsing, it's very fast and even do some basic editing etc if needed.
If you need one App for all (catalog, viewering, editing etc), Lightroom or ACDSee are very good. I prefer ACDSee for it's possibility to browse/view pics directly in folder structure without any import first.
01-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also can highly recommend the Faststone Image Viewer. One of the best photo handling programs ever written IMHO. I have tried more than a few
free programs and always come back to Faststone. Very fast and easy to use.

01-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yep, Faststone.

OK, we're done!

01-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I have Adobe Lightroom 5, but I will try this free programme out!